Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:55 PM
That was very interesting to read! There's two things that mainly surprise me here:

- the importance of teenage girls. They're, of course, an important target group for The Sims, but what I didn't know is that they're THE target group for The Sims. This is important, because I fucking hate teenage girls and think they all should be put to death unless they grow up into 18 year olds (who I'm attracted to, because that's my purpose in life).
- The Hunger Games. I knew that there was some slight inspiration taken from those films, in the outfits that come with the pack, but I didn't know it was THE inspiration for future fashion. I always thought it would be some mix of Star Trek, the Back To The Future future, The Hunger Games, and a variety of other, contemporary sources.

But at least they cite The Fifth Element, which I'm happy about because it's a great film. It's funny, it's interesting, and it's tacky as fuck.
And Blade Runner's good too, though it really clashes with their age argument considering it came out in 1982.

But future style, it's endlessly fascinating isn't it?
I've been rethinking my vision of the future lately. A few years back I thought that in 10-15 years from now, fashion would be very brightly coloured and convoluted, with little ruffles and curly bits and whatever, and it'd look like a mix of The Fifth Element's characters, and the 80s. But now that we're seeing the resurgence of the latter half, with bright pastels, geometric squiggles and patterns, horrible denim-on-denim combinations, and too much fabric in places where you don't need it, I've realized that fashion is on a 30 year cycle. So in 10-15 years' time, we'll be looking at a more natural, lighter, more flowery 70s/90s combo.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:36 PM
Well, no wonder I'm confused. I've never seen those tv shows. I've seen Twilight before so I knew the Sims were based off them. Still dont like the movie tho. But the Fifth Element. Loved that movie when I was younger. Is it Into The Future that you think has some reference? What is it that you've seen? I haven't played that world long enough to notice anything from that movie. I took my Sim there, bought a robot and then left, lol
Mad Poster
#28 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:45 PM
Shame there's no Fifth Element references or anything clearly inspired by it. I mean, there's the "Oculo Holocomputer by Korben Computing", and I guess that could mean Korben Dallas went into a different business after he saved Earth and everything, but still...

I still think Star Trek: The Next Generation was a significant inspiration for the pack's style, though I have no proof of that being so whatsoever. That show was good futurism, if you ask me. Like 2001, it's held up relatively well. But not quite as well as 2001, of course.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Shame there's no Fifth Element references or anything clearly inspired by it. I mean, there's the "Oculo Holocomputer by Korben Computing", and I guess that could mean Korben Dallas went into a different business after he saved Earth and everything, but still...

I still think Star Trek: The Next Generation was a significant inspiration for the pack's style, though I have no proof of that being so whatsoever. That show was good futurism, if you ask me. Like 2001, it's held up relatively well. But not quite as well as 2001, of course.

I guess that could mean Korben Dallas went into a different business after he saved Earth and everything..
Mad Poster
#30 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:46 PM
Remind me to make a Sim out of
JEAN-BAPTISTE
EMMANUEL
ZORG.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#32 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 9:03 PM
Korben and Leeloo mooolti-plied by having divine little babies.

insert signature here
Page 2 of 2