Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 10:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions
Default Question about Poly-Counts in Hair
I've seen the warning numerous times that a hair has a high poly count and it shouldn't be downloaded unless you're sure your pc can handle it.

lol - what does that mean?

What in my pc will determine if it can handle, say, a 25,000 poly count hair?

Further - what's the difference between a HQ and an LQ poly count? (For example: The polycount is VERY HIGH. Around 20,000 polys for HQ and around 9000 polys for LQ.)

How can I tell if my pc can handle the hair prior to downloading it?

Thanks in advance!

Imagine what you could learn, if you could learn to imagine!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 10:27 AM
Any hair that is 25k polys and not in the shape of a triumphant pterodactyl or something is absolutely obscene. The creator should probably be slapped for it. Maybe ridiculed, just a little, too.

For TS2, 3000 polys is about the upper limit for everyday use, straight, or simple hair - 6000 for something really curly/complicated/weird.

Roughly doubled for TS3. 6000 is about as much as you'd want for a regular hair, maybe 9k-12k for something really curly or strange.

I can't see there being any excuse for a 25k poly hair except inexperience at meshing/laziness/the rather incorrect idea that more polys automatically equals better. Which it doesn't.

If you download higher poly hairs, you need to have a pretty strong PC - mainly your graphics card. You'd also want to use them sparingly - try to remember which are higher poly and not use them on every sim.

Game Help:System Specswiki - that should tell you your card. If you tell us what you have, we can tell you whether it sucks or not.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 10:33 AM
Wow, you're on the ball - ultra fast reply! Thanks!

My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3.

The hairs are on the Anubis site but I think they were originally hairs from Peggy that Anubis has redone. Some are really good but not good enough to screw with my graphics. So far, I have no graphics issues.

How does my graphics card stack up?

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 10:35 AM
Shinyshiny. You don't have too much to worry about - that's a nice card. But still, try to use high poly stuff sparingly.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 10:36 AM
Excellent!!

w00t! w00t!!

Thank you, I appreciate the info and advice.

Like I said - it's nice hair but not worth the risk. lol!

Locked thread