Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 1:23 AM
My computer can handle ALL the sims games, in fact I Do have all the sims games, up through sims 4. Sims 2 is my all time fav.
Yet the only one I've played for awhile now is sims 1. Maybe it's the thrill I Still get when neighborhood 1 loads and I hear the calming music. The 1950's feel. The Simplicity.
Maybe I'm the only one in the simuniverse who never gave one whit for story progression or if my sim kids ever grew up, or if anyone ever age progressed.
It's more important (Fun!) for me to be able to play any sim I want, when I want, in a way having multiple identities, and having them all there in their little houses, just the way they always are.
Did I mention sims 1 custom content gives me a huge rush of nostalgia.
The photo album is the best. It bothers me to no end that sims 3, and 4 can't just have the same simple easy to use photo album without having to (try) and learn and maneuver a ton of bells and whistles I don't want.
And No I don't want to instantly post it to (name your social media).
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 6:07 PM
none of the others have any expansion like superstar and makin magic

also avril lavigne and marilin monroe

and dragons

fckin dragons
Field Researcher
#28 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 1:47 AM
The charm of the game. The way it pushed boundaries for its time and is still more in depth than the latest version.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
Even though I never had the first game (I know I missed out on a lot in my childhood, but I honestly never heard of the sims until late 2009 lol), once I finally did three years ago, I had a fun time. The main reason I keep going back is the music, the more entertaining interactions and animations, the simplicity, and just...it's just so indescribably neat playing a later installment and going back to 1, seeing just how the franchise series first got started.
I got all four major Sims at a yard sale a few years ago. They spent three years in storage before getting around to them. I triied playing "The Sims", and didn't really get into it. I then, loaded, 2/3 and 4. Fell in love with 2, decided I didn't care for three, and decided that 4 needs another ten years to "mature".

However, I ended up giving "The Sims" to a friend, who practically begged me for it, before I got a chance to really evaluate it. I really wish I would've kept it just a little longer, as I feel a little "left out", because I didn't give it much of a chance.

Maybe it's time to hit up Ebay .
Test Subject
#30 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 2:08 AM
Sure, 2, 3, and 4 have great graphics, but I've been wanting to go back to 1. Why? Because I've not been able to find a suitable program to create quality animations for multiple Sims. There were many things that I was able to create in Sims 1 that I just haven't been able to do in the later versions. I still have all of the tools for Sims 1, and would like to recreate the game I had at one time. I had a massively re-written global file, separate f/m child skins, separate f/m skinny skins, live in maid, animated, er, privates, a pregnancy controller which cycled through a full 9 month pregnancy, a 28 day cycle, and I actually created objects to simulate natural impregnation, since I didn't really like the randomness. There was always something to improve upon, and with the tools that were available, it could be done easily. But alas, I have Windows 10. P.S I hate choosing aspirations.
O_o
#31 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 4:34 AM
I come back to The Sims 1 because it is my favorite iteration of the series. I received this game on the day of release! I was 8 at that time. I spent hours upon hours a day playing The Sims 1 with my sister (we had to share - only had one computer). We would swap the mouse and keyboard every couple of hours and we would just watch each other play l. Awesome experience. Trying to get her into FreeSO now so we can play together again.

I want, I need, therefore I am a sim!
Test Subject
#32 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 7:07 PM
It was my very first PC game, so there's quite a bit of nostalgia. But it offers so many things the other games don't, like dragons!!! I loved the dragons so much, they were so cute. Plus I'm really bummed they completely removed some of the threats in the newer games, like burglars! And that bear that really liked to steal your honey. I miss Bonehilda and that robo dude, too.

I love the different worlds, and the fact that you can live in the magic world. Even if the houses are kind of meh. I vividly remember the first time I got enough of the currency to buy a house there, and the subsequent disappointment. The vacationing spots are so neat, I love the themed. I remember the one specific hotel? with the snowboarding was my favourite.

The music is so wonderful, I would buy a soundtrack in a heartbeat tbh. I really wish they'd do a digital release of the game, that way I could have it in one of my libraries instead of just the disc.

It would be really neato if they did a remake, but I doubt it would happen. //shrug
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:07 PM
Here's my reasoning-- it's the first game I played. It was 2003, I think, and I was 3 years old. Sure, it might've seemed like an inappropriate time to play god, make families, and "accidentally" take away the pool ladder, but it taught me more about life than I learned in the real world as a 3-year-old. My cousin had the deluxe version and the Makin' Magic expansion pack, so it wasn't anything really fancy. I don't know if I was a master at the Sims back then, or if I didn't notice that my Sims were on the verge of dying, but I feel as if it's a lot harder to efficiently control sims in the game looking back, as their needs deplete really quickly. Despite that, there's a certain charm that comes with The Sims that you don't see in the other games-- even in TS2, my favorite one in the series. The 1950s aesthetic, the music, the clothing, the downright funky interactions that probably wouldn't work in real life. It's clunky at times, but anyone appreciative of groundbreaking games like this would learn to cope with it; you won't find anything else like it these days, especially with the hot piece of garbage also known as The Sims 4.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 9:02 AM
Quote:
the newer games offer so much more

I couldn't disagree more. Even TS2 couldn't offer me as much nostalgia as TS1. Also, the TS1 humor, music and sound effects are just something else combined with the art style of the game. I will always revisit TS1.

EA can keep offering "new" and "innovative" content like turning into a skeleton but they cannot recreate TS1 atmosphere.

edit: lol you could in fact turn into skeleton in TS1, it is not a new TS4 feature.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
I couldn't disagree more. Even TS2 couldn't offer me as much nostalgia as TS1. Also, the TS1 humor, music and sound effects are just something else combined with the art style of the game. I will always revisit TS1.

EA can keep offering "new" and "innovative" content like turning into a skeleton but they cannot recreate TS1 atmosphere.

edit: lol you could in fact turn into skeleton in TS1, it is not a new TS4 feature.
I just re-aquired The Sims 1. I'll probably load it on my old T500, and give it a go .
Field Researcher
#36 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 12:57 AM Last edited by Isa-WP : 20th Mar 2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: made it more readable
I really should reinstall everything on my laptop, now I have a desktop I can free up the laptop for the Sims. For me it's a few things: the game is actually a challenge even with custom content; because the game doesn't tell you so much what the sim is like with aspirations, wishes, favourite colours and such, you can be more creative; the CC made for it can be a lot more creative than the stuff made for its successors (most stuff made for TS2 and newer is mods, stuff for the appearance of your sim and for the appearance of their houses) like what C&C, Woobsha, Simslice and many others made; the music is way better; there was more interplay between expansion packs (like Claire the Bear's reactions to Living Large, Hot Date and Vacation stuff) and lastly, because the game is so surreal I was more likely to make a surreal (and fun!) neighbourhood.

At one point I had a pirate brother and sister living together making their living with farming vegetables and flowers (thanks to C&C), their neighbours were a mysterious man and woman making their living repairing and building PCs (thanks to Sandy from ATS) living in a SF-like house; a wizard specializing in spells over charms living in a small tower in a gigantic garden and selling wine to the side; a woman living together with her mother (a witch and gardener) and her daughter making a living of designing, making and selling clothing (again, a ATS set); a man who worked as an architect at home (I believe ATS again, but also a few others), his daughter had a version of the alchemy set for children (C&C) and their house was minimalist but weird (in fact, I love that house so much I'm remaking the house and family for the Sims 2); a police agent who tried to find out what this magic stuff is all about; a woman who lived in a Middle-Eastern-inspired house, farmed tulips (C&C) and aloe vera (someone at the Noblesse Oblige forum) and making and selling aloe cream and every night for dinner she would invite somebody to eat with her; a wizard who had a Chocobo (I think h2o?) help with gardening and with whom I really tried to get that big beanstalk and many more. The mundane was living next to the weird.

The successors have weird stuff, but it feels more mundane for some reason. Maybe because the worlds aren't so separated in them as in The Sims. Nobodies and Somebodies did not shop Downtown and Stranges (Strangers?) did not come and buy groceries in Old Town. Now witches and aliens and vampires are found everywhere. (And I grant that there isn't much you can do with aliens, vampires or werewolves in the relatively peaceful and kind worlds of the sims, but I wish they weren't so boring in the Sims 2, an exclusive lot to visit or more abilities would be nice.) In the Sims, you didn't want everyone to be a magic user because they were immune to spells (and you want the spells to be effective on neighbours!) but there were so many ways to be a magic user, and it was such a challenge, it didn't get old anyway.
That said, it's not perfect (one of the reasons I play with so much CC) but it has its charm and is much more flexible as a sandbox or time-management game, not just for players but also the custom content makers.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 8th May 2018 at 6:50 PM Last edited by HarVee : 8th May 2018 at 10:51 PM.
It has class and sophistication paired with an atmosphere of exaggerated dark humor and satire. Which is then complimented by challenging and addicting game-play. Which are things the other numbered games either don't have, or haven't perfected. It didn't have gimmicks like emotions and "weirder stories", or distractions like open-world and legacies. In the sims 1 you're meant to take in the sights and sounds of the world space and how they effect your Sims lives, and how you can go about improving them simply by buying your Sims a new and fancier chair. It's only when one stops and thinks about how much The Sims accomplished for its time, that's when you realize The Sims was an artistic and technological masterpiece which often doesn't get as much credit and recognition as it deserves.

Also it has a great soundtrack featuring the accordion and piano, and the Superstar Expansion has Jerry Martin's Botox Forever. Which I think is the best song in the entire series.

I really do wish there was a big active community for this title still. Many of the CC and mod makers are long gone and even some of the tools used to make content are becoming difficult to find. There is also not many tutorials around that really go into depth about how certain game aspects function and how they can be manipulated "hacked" to achieve results. I'd love to create for this game, but doing so is unnervingly difficult.

Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
The successors have weird stuff, but it feels more mundane for some reason. Maybe because the worlds aren't so separated in them as in The Sims. Nobodies and Somebodies did not shop Downtown and Stranges (Strangers?) did not come and buy groceries in Old Town. Now witches and aliens and vampires are found everywhere. (And I grant that there isn't much you can do with aliens, vampires or werewolves in the relatively peaceful and kind worlds of the sims, but I wish they weren't so boring in the Sims 2, an exclusive lot to visit or more abilities would be nice.) In the Sims, you didn't want everyone to be a magic user because they were immune to spells (and you want the spells to be effective on neighbours!) but there were so many ways to be a magic user, and it was such a challenge, it didn't get old anyway.
That said, it's not perfect (one of the reasons I play with so much CC) but it has its charm and is much more flexible as a sandbox or time-management game, not just for players but also the custom content makers.

I think you bring up one the biggest things unique to The Sims 1. Every little world space felt different and unique. Everything was appropriately segregated and in that allowed the game to have a better focus. The newer titles seem to try to do so many different things that they end up forgetting focus and this in turn effects how much detail and thought the game features have put into them. The newer titles essentially give you the shovel and pale, and even the sand, but they tend to forget the box and so the sand just spreads all over the place instead of being neatly confined.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#38 Old 20th May 2018 at 4:24 AM Last edited by katxattack : 20th May 2018 at 4:55 AM.
Many reasons to come back:
1. The music
2. No bugs/glitches pretty much ever - runs smooth as butter
3. I love literally every item of the game, just the old timey feeling of everything - I have always dreamed of a TS1 remake with every item, I would pay full price, hell I'd pay $100 even if it was just Base Game
4. Undeniable charm that TS2 (TS3 to an extent, and TS4 to a much lesser extent) definitely still had, but never quite as brilliant
5. Magic at it's best
6. Fame at it's best
7. The voice acting at it's best - even just two voices, the quirk of them is great
8. Quirky as hell
9. Item descriptions
10. Thanksgiving turkey bought from the shopping catalogue
11. The Goths
12. I haven't even seen everything the game has to offer and I've been playing it for 14 years
13. The NPC's
14. Although it can be really annoying, I do enjoy just how difficult this game is
I could go on, but these are probably the top reasons

". The newer titles essentially give you the shovel and pale, and even the sand, but they tend to forget the box and so the sand just spreads all over the place instead of being neatly confined."
Very well said. I do think TS2 is amazing, though perhaps not towards it's end. But bravo - Listening to botox forever right now for you! I do remember this being my favorite super star song.
Test Subject
#39 Old 23rd May 2018 at 5:14 AM
I think that from Sims 2 onward, EAxis has fallen into the Uncanny Valley (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../UncannyValley), where something is almost perfectly human, but not quite human enough. This tends to give people the creeps. Sims 1 didn't have that problem, because even though the characters were very humanlike toons, they were still clearly toons.

Also, there is a long list of things you can do simply and easily in Sims 1 that are much more difficult or outright impossible in Sims 2+.

All in all, the original game has a quaint charm - and ever so much custom content, particularly if you've been playing and collecting from practically the get-go (as I have).

I've recently been playing Sims 2 and enjoying it (most of the time), but...sometimes I do find them just a bit creepy.

Footnote: The one family I miss most of all isn't the Goths - it's the Mashugas. With a name like that, you just know they had to be Jewish. Had some fun getting Frankie Mashuga into a yarmulke (tricky bit of custom content making)..... Sims2 has aliens and vampires and werewolves and Plantsims - but they are all blandly ecumenical.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimMaven
I think that from Sims 2 onward, EAxis has fallen into the Uncanny Valley (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../UncannyValley), where something is almost perfectly human, but not quite human enough. This tends to give people the creeps. Sims 1 didn't have that problem, because even though the characters were very humanlike toons, they were still clearly toons.

Sorry, I feel the need to add a tiny correction to that - firstly, the Uncanny Valley effect generalizes, different people are differently creeped out by the same robot or 3D model; secondly, the effect most often occurs when a robot/3D model looks more realistically human than it moves or sounds - which is why I'm not creeped out by the very cartoony Sims 1 sims, but are by the Sims 3 sims. It (mostly) doesn't really matter how realistic the thing actually looks on its own, which is why 3D games have evoked strong emotions from players for years, including the newer 'The Sims' series, especially when the script (and voice-acting) is good.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 4:07 AM
It happens for several reasons, most of the irrational and hard to express in words. The most important of these reasons is that, as well as it happens with movies and also OTHER games, the sequels - even though they're often labeled as enhanced versions of its previous edition - does not exist to, necessarily. replace what has been made so far, if that makes sense: The fact that you've watched Shrek 3 doesn't prevent you from watching Shrek 1 and 2 without getting entertained and without having something different new to see... even though, yes, all the 4 TS games have an objective in common

Do notice how organic and involving its soundtrack is -- compressed in 128kb mp3 in the era of the limited MIDIS... totally the opposite of what we could expect in a videogame... even though it works perfectly!!, it enhances the "perfect American family" concept they successfully developed for it, mainly when it comes to the crazy and happy jingle-y capitalism expressed in every note of the Buy mode songs, whilst the "Build" ones are romantic, soft and progressive piano improvs, as though announcing the slow-paced, somewhat romantic and also progressive birth of a baby, a new family, a new home, a new life, you know??

Also, remember when most of them disbelieved in the Dollhouse Project? Well... TS1 is a product of the major hardwork among those who've dreamed with it, even on the uncertain and lonely times. And, because of that, the whole core of the game, exceptionally, has an... organic, alternative and experimental vibe, something about it that we hardly see in the other games. Do note it doesn't make it better or worse, just different and worthy of being known among the new players! Well, I love how everything (in the game base) has a very and specific reason to exist, like, how the motive-boost elements are very solid and NOTHING in it is just "decorative"! Everything is essential and adds some points somewhere in the hidden game's equations and conditional branches!: The "Joke" interaction exists for those situations you wanna keep your guest with high Fun/Social points so they stop complaining about it and, about bloody time, sit in a sofa or drink a drink, because THIS is their ultimate expression of satisfaction! The "Scare" interaction, although it's never your first choice when you want to make friends with another Sim, sometimes is the only thing that will make a grumpy Sim to smile for you! Sometimes you wanna buy a piece of art instead of the other one because the second choice is the one your Sim really approves and it raises the Room points a little more! You know what I'm saying? I think this "solid" gameplay (which exists in a certain level on another games but most of the times we're always overwhelmed with the superlative from the non-essential stuff), along with the isometric view, along with the practicity and the almost instant loading intervals, give us a mighty feel (like in RollerCoaster Tycoon whilst watching the thousands of little ants - ops I mean humans - spending their money in our custom rides!) and put us, more than ever, in a position where we have the full control of the whole stuff, in a unique and special way; and this is VERY, VERY FUN!
Forum Resident
#42 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 12:59 AM
Part of it is nostalgia for me: my main neighborhood wasn't just a hood for me, it was the source of this world of stories in my head. The music and humor are still un-matched by any of the games that followed, and the original game had a quaint formality to it that I find endearing. Remember how guests would arrive with flowers or candy, and how thoughtful their telephone responses were? ("I have a previous engagement", or "I am taking care of a friend with whom I would need to accompany me"), that sort of thing.

Also, I like Superstar -- the way the celebrity system worked. It's just broken in The Sims 3, because if you play a town for so long, everyone is a celebrity vampire. They're waay too catching.
Forum Resident
#43 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fancy Tramp
I'm really bummed they completely removed some of the threats in the newer games, like burglars! And that bear that really liked to steal your honey. I miss Bonehilda and that robo dude, too.

Can't forget El Bandito!!
Screenshots

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#44 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 4:50 AM
Gotta say, I can still remember when loading times were enough for me to leave the computer, go to the bathroom, get a snack, come back, and still be sitting there listening to the music for a while. Now, computers are fast enough that those loading screens are literally only 2 or 3 seconds long... almost as good as open world!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Page 2 of 2