Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2006 at 11:57 PM
Default Can 3DS Max 8 work?
Im Wondering cuz i got milkshape the latest version but the sims2 gmdc importer isnt on there and i've looked everywhere and i cant seem to find it so i gave up on it and found this...

I've checked on my older brothers pc and discovered he has this 3d program on it and im wondering if i can use it to edit hair meshes and etc.Since im new to this whole thing with meshing I would like to know if there are any plugins i would need to have in order for it to open meshes i make in SimPE.

ps. could I get links to places were these downloads are available also thanks.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 12:06 AM
You'll have to check into what it can handle. If 3DS Max can support the .smd file format, bone assignments, and multiple groups, yes, then it would be able to edit hair. If it can handle the .obj format it can do minor edits to any Body Shop content, but only very minor (bigger boobs, smaller waist, slightly shorter/longer hair but not very...) using Meshtool.

Generally for hair, we use Milkshape as, using the Unimesh plugin, we can directly import mesh files and retain all of the proper bone assignments for correct animation, change/add/remove parts, change bone assignments, and do multiple groups. Same for accessories. Bodies are often only one group (although stuff with alpha meshes are several) so the programs that can handle .smd like XSI Modtool and Fragmotion can be used, though they don't seem to support multiple groups. 3DS Max probably does, but I couldn't tell you if it has .smd support.

3DS Max should be able to be used just fine for most non-boned object meshes, though... It's when you get into stuff with bones and multiple groups that things get darn complicated...

Generally you'll find the greatest level of help and support on Body Shop meshes if you're using Milkshape.... and as it sounds like you're a beginner who hasn't done any 3D modeling, having lots of support available to you is probably going to be more important than not spending $25 to purchase Milkshape.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#3 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 1:30 AM
Considering max is roughly thirty five hundred dollars, I don't think money is an issue for him.

Yeah, it's more than good enough. It blows MilkShape away on functions and tools, and is the industry standard for filetype compatibility.
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SupRore
Yeah, it's more than good enough. It blows MilkShape away on functions and tools, and is the industry standard for filetype compatibility.

Ive never seen any plug-ins or scripts for any of the 3ds max programs, but you can build something in max and then export it to a format milkshapes will under stand..........
Scholar
#5 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 6:12 PM
go here to get smd importer and exporter for max.

http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm

i'm pretty sure the 1 for v7 also works for v8 too.
and they work i've used them in v7 to make a card table everything was done in max.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 3:43 PM
I use Max 8 and it rules! I like it so much that I sold my old car in order to purchase it.

I do not do requests; please don't ask!
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 7:04 AM
I'm trying to do hair with the help of 3ds max 8. YOu know what? 3ds max rules!
Scholar
#8 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:04 AM
i wouldnt be surprised if there was a simple way to make real animations using max 8 but it's secret is locked deep inside the program ehhehehe. you could do anything with that program.
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 7:39 PM
here is a place to find 3dmax plugins any version there is a smd plugin there for max 8 http://www.maxplugins.de/