Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Um, hello thread that's almost gone two years without a post.
How do I export LIFO files from SimPE? The regular txtr images are way too small to use as the biggest it 128x128 but the LIFO files don't give me any options to export them and their previews just show small chequerboard rectangles which I assume means the files are transparent?

There should be buttons with 'Import', 'Export' and 'Save' to the upper right of the LIFO file - if not, try right-clicking on the actual LIFO graphic itself and you should get a pop-up menu that lets you export it (and to export the alpha channel as well).

ETA:: Yes, as Bloom just said, there should be a larger version as well as a small version.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
no, those are 2 seperate files(512x512 and 1024x1024)
you should be able to find them with Simpe's finder, type the same texture name

How do I get to simPE's "finder"? It's been a good many years now since I've used it but had the urge to do some conversions recently.

EsmeraldaF, in plugin view the option to export is greyed out on the LIFO files and the option under right-clicking does nothing.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Sockpuppet
#53 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 9:52 AM
Its the Binoculor under the tiny thumbs
Under FIND choose namemapsearch

If you can not find it then reset the layout under Preferences/Simpe Settings
Mad Poster
#54 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 10:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
EsmeraldaF, in plugin view the option to export is greyed out on the LIFO files and the option under right-clicking does nothing.

That's strange - what version of SimPE are you using? And are you trying to convert Maxis files or cc? My version is 0.66.2.38582 - if yours is earlier, try a later version. The version I use works with no problems for any conversion I do, whether Maxis or cc, everything is there as expected and nothing is greyed out.

What are you trying to convert? Maybe it's just one rogue item that has problems, or does this happen with every item you've tried?
Mad Poster
#55 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 3:15 PM
It's a new install of SimPE and shows as version 0.73.44.37511(alpha)
I'm trying to convert the MAXIS fish tank, probably not a wise choice to try as a first conversion I know, but I'm not new to object creation in general.
Thankfully I have been able to find and export the LIFO file using Bloom's method. For whatever reason, it seems as though SimPE had cloned the reference to the file within the package but had not actually included the file itself.
Anyway, I have it now, thanks.

Mad Poster
#56 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 3:49 PM
Great, glad you found it, and good luck with the conversion!
Test Subject
#57 Old 23rd Jan 2013 at 6:29 AM
THANK YOU!!!!!
I have so much CC from The Sims 2 that I would love to use in Sims 3 and you guys are so much help.
Now to go try it all. :D
Sockpuppet
#58 Old 23rd Jan 2013 at 10:24 AM
There are 2 specular setups, one with a DXT1noalpha DDS and one wich uses a DXT5interpolatedalpha DDS.
A DXT1 will always have a reflection on the object/casp controlled by the RGB.
On a DXT5 setup the alpha channel determines wether to enable reflection on specific areas but the actual reflection/light itself comes from the specular of the pattern you apply.

a DXT1 object, like a car will always have the same reflection no matter wat pattern you use.
a DXT5 object, like a couch will be shiny if the metal/chrome pattern is used but will be matte if a wood pattern is choosen.

For GIMP there is alpha plugin somewhere altho according to this vid it is just a matter of adding a extra layer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUz2TKd9Ek

With PS you just right click one of the RGB channels and choose duplicate, rename it to alpha 1

edit,
oops, i responded to a very old post....
Test Subject
#59 Old 29th Jan 2013 at 8:30 PM
Excellent tutorial. I have successfully converted a mesh from S2 to S3 in Milkshape, I do have a few questions though.
Do I HAVE to use the S2 texture? The item I converted was an end table. It has metal legs and a glass top, I used a very similar S3 table to clone. It already has the glass top and metal legs.
I guess I'm not really sure what I need to do to make the texture look right on the new object. If it has to do with the UV mapping.. ugh. I really have no clue how to do that the proper way.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!
Mad Poster
#60 Old 29th Jan 2013 at 8:52 PM
Yep, it is to do with the UV mapping. If you want to use the TS3 texture on the TS2 table, you'll need to remap the TS2 mesh to resemble the mapping of the TS3 mesh. If it's a simple table, it shouldn't be too difficult, but with complex objects it can be a bit of a nightmare. If your table is just a set of squares and rectangles, it should be pretty straightforward to map.

(Sometimes, IF you're lucky, you might be able to just copy and paste the various parts of the TS3 texture to fit your mesh's existing mapping, IF the mesh is simple enough.)

This link has useful info on UV mapping, with further links to a few tutorials plus a must-have checkerboard template you can download which helps a lot with mapping. Although the tutorials are for TS2, the Milkshape mapping techniques are the same for TS3: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=135139

(The Dr Pixel tutorial on mapping shoes was actually where I first learned to do UV mapping! The same basic techniques apply to objects.)
Test Subject
#61 Old 29th Jan 2013 at 9:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response!
I figured that would be the case, unfortunately it isn't a normal square and rectangle table. The legs are curved.
I'll let you know how I make out. And thanks for the tutorial links.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 10:33 AM
Can this process also be used to convert things such as floor tiles or wall patterns?
Mad Poster
#63 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Minaki
Can this process also be used to convert things such as floor tiles or wall patterns?

You'll probably find this tutorial more useful> http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=399388

Page 3 of 3