Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 4:14 AM
Default The Kingdom of the Isles (Chapter 58/ Feb. 5)
*****This story is supposed to be a sort of not-really-following-the-rules royal kingdom challenge. Actually, it will be a lot like a takes-place-in-medieval-times neighborhood legacy type o thing. Since it will span a lot of time, I am putting the date for each chapter at the top center of each entry.

Keep in mind that it is a big project and the first few posts are really there to introduce the characters. If you are bored with it, just keep in mind that after the introductions, things will pick up quite a bit. And if you like what you read, (or don't!) please feel free to comment and let me know! This is my first story, so I appreciate any feedback.

EDIT: This story is getting quite populated with characters and it may be a little difficult to remember who is who, so I have made a family tree sort of character page which you can view: here.

So on to the story and thanks for reading!*****

Chapter One: The King Awakes
August 27, 1314

Kaiser was starting to realize that the drinking was doing little to ease his sorrow. He tried to continue to shirk his duties, looking for excuses to hide. It was not fair at all, he thought, that with a single message, everything that he had known could have been ripped away from him. He tightened his grip around his mug, as if to reassure himself that there were some things that he could indeed still grasp with his two hands.

He sighed heavily. It had been almost a full month since he had heard the news of the death of his father and brothers. He had never expected this. He had never wanted this. He had been drinking to try to forget this. And yet his damned steward would not let him continue to hide. There were reports to verify, records to overlook, meetings to attend... It was all too much for him in his drunken stupor.

The smarter part of his brain told him that he should therefore cease his drinking. He sighed again as he lowered his mug. Perhaps it was time for him to rise to his responsibilities. He was afraid, yes, but perhaps it was time for him to begin acting as he should: As a king should.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 6:12 AM
Default Chapter 2: A Knock at the Door
Chapter Two: A Knock at the Door
September 1, 1314

Sister Margrite sat in the rapidly dimming light of her chamber at dusk, praying for the perseverance to not strangle Novice Myrna for letting all of the barrels of cream spoil from sitting out in the sun all day. She was weary and aggravated and only hoped that the Lord would see it fit to bless her with enough strength to make it through the rest of the novice's training.

While sighing to herself during her fervent prayers, she suddenly heard an urgent knocking on the great front door of the convent. She ended her prayers with a quick "Amen," pushed herself up from her spindly wooden chair to hurry down the hall. She muttered under her breath at this new disturbance of her peace, and heard the sound of her footsteps slapping against the stone of the floor echoing with the growing urgency of the knocks on the door.

Upon pulling the heavy wooden door open, she found herself staring at a flushed young woman, with shorn hair. The woman panted in the hall and looked around nervously. Sister Margrite quickly noticed the young woman’s protruding belly. It was not, however, an uncommon thing for disreputable young women to give birth at the convent for the protection of their children. Sister Magrite sighed to herself. It was going to be a long night indeed.

The woman spoke. “I beg for your protection, Sister,” she chocked. Her voice was dry and it sounded as if it were painful for her to speak. “I am heavy with child. And I am also feared that I shall not have life much longer.” Her lip trembled. Sister Margrite could see that she was indeed in very poor condition.

She was surprised that the girl could still walk, in fact. "Come on then," Sister Margrite told her. "You can rest here," she said, leading her to a small unused cell, "while I go fetch the priest." She helped the girl onto the small bed and then went quickly and dutifully about her way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 6:19 AM
Default Chapter 3: The Ravings of the Dying
Chapter Three: The Ravings of the Dying
September 1, 1314

"I would like to talk to you alone, please," Minerva said to the priest, when he arrived, her hoarse voice straining. He nodded kindly, and sent Sister Margrite off on another errand, this time to find Sister Hildegarde and anyone else who might be able to help the young woman once her baby decided to come.

When she had found Hildegarde and towed her along back to the small chamber where the woman rested, she could still hear the slight mummer of voices from behind the closed door. Sister Hildegarde knocked softly.

The priest cracked open the door. "Ah, come in Sister," he said and opened the door wide enough for Sister Hildegarde slid in. Hildegarde took one look at the dying woman on the bed, and then threw a glance over her shoulder at Sister Margrite. Then she shut the door with a pointed look at Margrite, but not before the other woman had been able to sneak a glance at the dying girl upon the bed.

She could tell that the girl was still awake and living, but other than that, she could not know.
She was burning with curiosity at the strange woman's appearance, and a bit huffy at being excluded, but still waited dutifully outside of the chamber. Eventually, Hildegarde came back out, though she was wearing a strange expression.

"What happened?" asked Margrite.

"She is in a bad condition," Hildegarde whispered. "She is raving, I think, and she has a fever..." She paused and looked worried. "But the things she is saying, Margrite.... I have never heard such things! I know it is only the fever, but... I'm frightened."

"Why? What does she say?" asked Margrite breathlessly.

"I cannot tell you, Sister, the priest forbade me from repeating her delusions..."

Sister Margrite was intrigued, but bit her tongue to prevent herself from trying to pry the woman's secrets from Hildegarde. "Will she survive?" was the only question that she could think to ask instead.

Sister Hildegarde clutched at her heart. With a pained voice, she said "I do not think she is strong enough. I do not even know if her child will survive. She tells me that it is too early for the babe to come, but she thinks he shall soon arrive, nonetheless." She paused and sighed. "May the Lord watch over us this night," whispered Hildegarde as they heard an unearthly wail coming from the chamber.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 6:26 AM
Default Chapter 4: A Babe is Born
Chapter Four: A Babe is Born
September 2, 1314

Her fever burned on deep into the night. A storm had come with the burning in her skin, as if to taunt her with the coolness in the torrents of water that were out of her reach. She could hear the thunder as it boomed across the sky, and see the lightening through her closed lids. It left a shocking imprint of fiery light beneath the safety of her lids. Fire, fire, fire… She felt as if she were drowning in a lake of fire. For a moment, she thought that she had descended down into hell, but then she remembered that she did not believe that such a place existed. She cried out in pain.

She then remembered where she was. She was safe. Her baby would be safe. That was all that mattered. Well, except for her husband. Maybe he was already dead, too. Maybe she would see him again after all. “Fauve…” she muttered, but then remembered herself.

The lightning cleaved through the darkness again. She felt the growl of thunder roll through her body. She had a vision of a child. Of a daughter, held before her, but it passed into the dark recesses of her mind before she could hold onto to the image. “Sibyl…” She felt the word rise unbidden to the tip of her lips with the image of her twin sister, seen only in her mind's eye. “Sibyl…” She spoke so softly that the nuns barely heard. “Protect my child…” She did not know if she was speaking to her sister or to the nuns around her, and she did not care, for it had ceased to matter. She suddenly felt herself at the edge of a great black pool of still water. She shivered as she fell down into the darkness which was cold and away from the pinprick of heat that was her body.

Sister Margrite felt herself close to tears, but she held them back. Who was she to question the Lord’s will? She held the little baby that they had named Sibyl close to her heart and looked down at the tiny infant, vowing that she would keep the babe safe, even though she had not been able to help the child's poor mother.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 6:40 AM
Default Chapter 5: Dinovynn has Dinner
Chapter Five: Dinovynn has Dinner
September 15, 1314

His merry little daughter laughed as Dinovynn spun her around in a dance. “That’s fun, Da!” she chirped, “But how did stinky old you ever learn how to dance so good?”

“Well, I had your fine mama to teach me,” he laughed as he tickled her. “But you don’t really think that your old Da is stinky now, do you?” he teased.

“Nooooo,” she giggled, “but I bet Mama does!”

“You bet your Ma does what, little missy?” asked Aethelis, coming out the door.

“Think that boys are stinky!” replied Ellynmere with her bright eyes mischievously squinted.

“Oh no, not your da! He smells sweet as pie!” She laughed the two of them hopped up the steps to meet her. When he reached the top of the steps, she pulled Dinovynn into her arms and gave him and planted a tender kiss on his smiling lips. “I think that your da is also quite tasty, in fact,” she teased while flashing her daughter a bright smile.

Ellynmere pretended to gag and choke, but Dinovynn knew that she was secretly pleased with the romance her parents shared. He, in turn, was secretly pleased with the sweet, romantic nature of his dear little daughter. All of the other men he knew seemed only to desire sons, but to Dinovynn, there was nothing sweeter than bright-eyed little girls, even if they did seek to constantly stream ribbons through his hair.

Aethelis brought him back from his thoughts with her gentle voice as she put her small hand on his shoulder and urged him inside. “But speaking of good smells and tasty things, you two need to come inside and get your supper!”

After Ellyn had scarfed down all of the food on her plate and run off to go play with her dolls, Dinovynn took the opportunity to confront his wife. “I noticed that you barely touched your plate, my dear.”

“Oh, I’m just not hungry, is all,” Aethelis mumbled with an apologetic smile.

“Now, darling,” he warned, “you know I love you well enough to notice how little you've been eating lately...And how tired you have been...” He waited for a reply to his prodding, but his wife only stared into her plate, so he continued. “And that can only mean two things, my dove. Either you are unwell, or you are expecting another little one.” He sucked in his breath, preparing for the worst, but still she did not respond. Gently, he coaxed her “Only tell me now, dear lamb, so that I may fill my head with worries of the right nature.” He smiled softly at her, surprised to see that she was suddenly sniffling.

“It’s a baby,” she whispered.

He forced a smile to spread across his face. “I did hope so,” he sighed, “although I know that you are worried, my dove. But don’t worry, dear lamb!” he comforted as he took her silky little hand, “things will turn out alright.”

She was not quite reassured, but she smiled bravely for his sake. He knew that she was terrified, but he also knew that she would be strong for him, and try to bear her little troubles with a smile.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 7:10 AM
Default Chapter 6: Catherine has dinner
Chapter 6: Catherine has dinner
September 30, 1314

All through dinner, her husband’s eyes had seemed distant and evasive. Catherine did not understand why he would be avoiding her frank gaze, but obviously he had something on his mind. She could barely tune into the conversation Partrich was having with their young daughter, Perrigwen, but it must have been serious, suddenly she felt little Perri’s intense eyes upon her face.

“Is what Father says true, Mother?” she asked, quite seriously for a girl of her age.

“I’m sorry, darling, what did he say? I wasn’t listening very well,” she admitted.

“That I shall be an important lady one day and I will marry a big strong knight and our children might rule the island?”

“Well one day, my darling, of course,” she replied, shooting a quizzical expression to her husband. “But you don’t have to think of such things now, my precious.

“Actually, Catherine, there is something that I think we should talk about,” Partrich said to her, with a slightly apologetic smile. She could not help but notice how much Perri resembled her father and sighed, wondering what he had in store for their young daughter.

“Why don’t you go ahead to the nursery and go play with your sister,” Catherine said resignedly to her daughter, “while I talk to your father.”

Perrigwen sighed, but she was sent out of rooms while grownups talked often enough that she did not complain. As soon as her daughter had passed through the door, Catherine turned upon her husband. “What have you done?”

“I simply think that it is time for us to find her a husband,” Partrich said simply. “I have been thinking on the matter, and I believe that I have found someone suitable.”

“Oh Partrich!” she sighed, “The girl is only six years old! There is plenty of time to be finding a husband for her!”

“She is already older than many a betrothed child on this island,” he replied. “Leaving me with few enough choices for her as it is.”

“But it too soon!” Catherine wailed. “And there is no boy of equal of higher station on this island to be found who is the right age to wed her.”

“”Not yet,” he replied, “but I believe that the king has mind to make the eldest two boys of Cuthbert Rusylvan’s into squires. And if they be squires, then they may yet be knights.”

“Oh but Partrich, how can you know that they will be squires? If you are chasing around some rumor, then you are going to look like a fine fool when Rusylvan has pocketed all of your precious little daughter’s dowry for a son who will never be more than a member of the gentle class!”

“It is no mere rumor that the young lads are to be squires,” he sighed. “Already the king has taken the oldest into his household to serve as a page. In only a few more years, the lad will be old enough to make squire.”

“Why Ruslyvan’s boys?” inquired Catherine. “They are of scarce better blood than any other family of farmers.”

“How many times have we noticed the barren population of this island?” he prodded. “The king, he is no fool! He must strengthen his defenses. There simply are not enough families of noble blood to draw from, just as there are not enough noble families for us to search for a husband for Perrigwen in.”

“But she is of good enough blood to marry the king’s son!” Catherine protested.

But she knew it was futile. The young king was not even married yet. It would be quite some time until he produced a son. And by then, Perrigwen would be far too old to wed him when there would be so many other, younger brides to choose from. “Very well, Partrich, I concede to your wisdom,” she sighed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 7:32 AM
Default Chapter 7: Kathrope regrets
Chapter 7: Kathrope Regrets
October 13, 1314

The soapy water burned Kathrope’s hands as she scrubbed with a rough piece of cloth on the remnants of food clinging to the pot. Dutifully, she endured her daily chores, trying to ignore her husband’s raised voice in the background. What was he yelling at her for now? She had learned a long time ago that when Dulnstead was angry, it was best to remain as far away from him as possible. Thus, she tuned him out and continued her rigorous scrubbing.

She glanced down as she worked, noticing the simple and plain wedding band that was her only adornment. How long ago had it been since they had been happy together? Had they ever been happy together? She ransacked her mind, ignoring the volume of his anger as he yelled at her, trying to recall even one single day together during which the both of them had been satisfied.

But he had always resented her. He had never wanted to marry her at all! She had been nothing more to him than the dirt in which his seed had first taken root. How many times had she wished that she had never been the one of his many conquests unfortunate enough to bear his child! And even then, the idea of the child that had been growing in her sixteen year old belly had not been enough to make him love her. He would have left her to shame and condemnation if her father had not forced him to take her hand…

She sighed. How young and foolish she had been then! And how unhappy now!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 8:00 AM
Default chapter 8: The King Agrees to Some Advice
Chapter 8: The King Hears Some Advice
October 20, 1314

The king sat quietly in his study, lost in his absent-minded and unfamiliarly sober thoughts when he head a sharp and quick rap on the door. Ah... That would be his advisor, Millstein. No one else could knock on a door so... dryly.

“Enter,” he called, with a sigh. In truth, he did not much look forward to these meetings. His advisor was, politely, an old night bonnet with no taste for humor, drinking, or, in short, fun.

Millstein jerked his head in a polite, but hurried way as he came into the room, shedding the cloak of shadows that had masked his form. “Your majesty,” he intoned, “I am here in order to discuss more fully the matter which I mentioned to you over dinner last night.” His voice was dry and monotone. Kasier was already bored.

“Ah, yes, Millstein, about that. I am not quite sure that I understood your full meaning last night. My head was a bit heavy with the drink,” he explained with a laugh. He watched the other man’s face, dearly hoping for a reaction.

He was not disappointed when he saw the quick downturn and disapproving pucker of Millstein’s thin lips. “Yes, your majesty, I recall.” After an awkward pause, probably intended to serve as a reprimand for his sovereign’s heavy drinking, Millstein continued. “You will recall that I spoke of strengthening the kingdom, perhaps, your majesty.”

He waited for the brief nod from the king before continuing. “I have many suggestions on the matter. For one, we must improve the state of the army. Your neighboring kingdoms are growing at a much greater rate, my lord, and I do think that we need to bring new commanders to rank. Also, we have much underdeveloped land on the continent that could be exploited, if we could put in place some new lords.”

Kaiser nodded. That much was true. He had been thinking of installing some new lords himself, in fact, if only for the entertainment of having some new companions to take out on hunts. He was rather tired of scheming Lord Iorvain...

“And also, your majesty, there is the ah... question of securing your line,” Millstein added.

“That again?” Kaiser muttered.

“Your majesty will admit that he needs to provide an heir to maintain his line,” Millstein rationed. “And for that, his majesty must have a queen.”

Kaiser had also been thinking that particular matter over as well. As much fun as he had chasing maids, he did concede the wisdom of producing an heir. “Anyone in mind?” he queried, thinking that perhaps this meeting with Millstein was going to be as tedious as feared.

“Last year's skirmishes with the Desert Dwellers left our kingdom much depleted,” Millstein said. “Our kingdom is weakening and it would do well to forge an alliance with some of our stronger neighbors. Many of the Lords of the Valley have daughters of marrying age. If we could strengthen our ties with the Kingdom of the Valley, we would be better protected from the Desert Dwellers, should they try to march against us.”

“It is an unlikely possibility,” Kaiser mused, “but it would be wise nonetheless to plan against such.”

Millstein agreed. “There is one lord in particular that we might do well to seek the aid of,” he said. “Lord Denhelm Germaine.”

“He is indeed a powerful man,” Kaiser reckoned. “What would you say is his ranking in the kingdom?”

“He is probably the second most powerful man in the Valley, aside from the king himself,” Millstein replied. “He would seek to marry his daughters into the royal household, but his king has no offspring of marrying age. He could hope to do no better for a daughter than to marry her with the King of the Isles.”

“How many daughters does he have?” Kaiser questioned. “Are they attractive?”

“He has three, my Lord, but two are already betrothed. They are all said to be beautiful women, however.”

The old man's face had lit up ridiculously, probably with the hope that his sovereign might actually be heeding his counsel for once. And for at least this one time, Kaiser had no plans to disappoint him.

“Good,” replied Kaiser. “Send word to Lord Denhelm that I request his daughter’s hand."

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 1:55 AM
Default Chapter 9: Matthew has a Bad Day
Chapter 9: Matthew has a bad day
November 5, 1314

On most days, Matthew Wold felt as if he had it all. Everything in the world that a simple man such as he could desire was his to love and cherish. He had two beautiful young daughters, Clothide and Claudya, who doted on him with the unconditional love that only children could provide. He had a sturdy little house to keep his family safe from the cold, and he had fertile land which could provide plenty of food for his family as well was work for his clumsy hands. Matthew also had a wife, who was as pretty a woman as could exist.

On most days, Matthew loved his wife. She was sharp and clever and good with words and people, skills that Matthew sorely lacked. She was bold and hard working, frequently helping him out in the fields with nary a complaint. Most days, Matthew could overlook the fact that her sharp tongue lashed out a little too frequently at him in his bumbling ways, and that sometimes that when he just wanted to sit quietly beside her, slightly resting against her warm body, she had to ruin the silence with gossipy words about her neighbors.

Today was not most days. Today was an unfortunate exception. The sky was dark and overcast, slowly leaking moisture into the air in the same way that snot slowly leaked from the noses of his two sick and wailing daughters. While he had been absent from his fields, tending to his sick offspring, the garden had grown unruly and full of weeds. The hard work was tedious and tiring, and Matthew could not seem to reach the peaceful inner state he so often found himself in when he was working amongst his plants.

He was angry at himself. He had not gotten enough sleep in recent nights, and as a result, his usual patient nerves were frayed. He had not been able to shrug off the sharp tongue of his wife as usual, and had fallen into snapping at her. He sorely regretted the lack of his usual gentleness, especially since the woman was pregnant. He knew nothing about carrying babies, but it was obviously a very difficult thing, and he deeply regretted losing his patience with the woman who was carrying his child.

Emotional thing that she so recently was, he reckoned that she was probably inside, crying her poor blue eyes out just now. The thought melted his heart, but he was not yet ready to return in doors to redeem himself. He would have to go and check on her eventually, but for now the garden required all of his attention and he needed to rest his nerves.

To cheer himself up, he thought that if she perhaps forgave him, then they might go over and visit the Etthledowns after dinner. Mathilde might appreciate the excuse to get out of the house and the children were well enough now that they might play with others again. And he would very much like to be able to talk to Ethelyn. She was perhaps the only who might understand what a rough time he had been having… It would be good for him to talk and get some things off his mind.

Yes, he decided, he would go make up with Mathilde and then they would go visit their friends, and then, perhaps, his day wouldn’t seem quite so bad after all. After he had finished plucking the weeds out of his poor, overgrown garden, he brushed the damp soil off his hands and went inside to console his well beloved wife. His time away from her had done him well and he was feeling back to his usual self.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 8:23 AM
Default Chapter 10: Father Friedrich Finds Death in the Forest
Chapter 10: Father Friedrich finds himself in the Forest
November 27, 1314

Father Friedrich gradually gathered his consciousness. He tried to pull his thoughts together, but they were sticky and thick, stuck in the deep recesses of his mind where dreams were usually kept. As he slowly awoke, he realized that he was not in his bed. In fact, he realized that he was not even indoors.

Above him shone a few stars, which he could see twinkling through the heavy canopy of the trees. Where was he? He was obviously somewhere in the forest, but the exact specifications of why or how he had come to be there were lost somewhere in his still groggy mind. He pushed his aching body off of the grass which was damp with the dew left by the evening's rainfall. As he painfully stood, he caught movement in the corner of his eye.

It was then he realized that he was not alone. Before him stood two women, strangely pale and luminescent in the starlight. Although he could not say why, they sent shivers down his spine.

“Who are you?” he inelegantly demanded, forgetting his manners in his sudden fright at being caught at unawares in such a strange situation.

The icy blonde woman spoke. “Two months ago there was a child born at the nunnery. You were called upon to deliver the sacraments to the dying mother. True?” Her voice was without emotion, as clear and cool as her porcelain skin.

Father Friedrich’s uneasy feelings multiplied, taking a strong hold in the root of his quivering stomach. The church had not created much fanfare over the infant, believing her to be in danger from the predators that had been chasing her mother. What did these two eerie creatures have to do with the strange woman’s death? Anxiously, he tried to straighten his shoulders, which had hunched closer to his body in fright.

“I will not reveal that information to you,” he replied, trying to keep his normally smooth voice from shaking.

“You have no choice,” replied the blonde. Her tone was unearthly, startling in its lack of emotion. “If you refuse to cooperate with us, then we shall slit your belly and read your entrails.”

Father Friedrich would have never before thought that someone could threaten death to another human in such a hauntingly detached voice.

“Now, tell us the prophecy the woman made while dying,” she demanded.

Suddenly Father Friedrich’s brain caught onto the details of what she was saying. “You’re witches!” he hissed, feeling even more frightened at the realization.

The black haired woman smiled evilly at him. “How clever of you,” she drawled. “Now tell us what you know”

“I know nothing!” he cried. “She spake no prophecy as she died! Only the normal ravings of nonsense that any other person dying in the grips of a fever might say!’ His heart was pounding with a heaviness and rhythm befitting the gallop of a herd of horses.

“He knows nothing,” the black haired woman asserted. “Kill him, Nicci,” she coolly commanded. "We will find our answers in another manner."

Before he could even react, Father Friedrich felt a thousand sensations of pain ripping through his belly. He screamed, but could make no sound. Before he had even hit the ground, he could feel cold hands plunging into the gaping hole in his stomach, ripping at his innards. The hollow laughter of the black haired witch ringing through the silent forest was the only sound he heard as his soul was ripped from his body.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 10:42 AM
Default Chapter 11: Catherine Has Some Unexpected Guests
Chapter 11: Catherine Has Some Unexpected Guests
December 1, 1314

“Oh Partrich, did you see? It’s snowing!” Catherine squealed. She happily ran towards his waiting arms, grinning. “It’s been so warm this season, I never thought I would see the snow again!” she exclaimed. “But perhaps we shall have snow for Christmas after all!”

Lovingly, he smiled at her, though she noticed that he did not seem to be quite his usual self. “What is it?” she asked, the smile suddenly gone from her face.

He chuckled. “There is nothing wrong, so don’t worry,” he reassured her. “I just have news that I know you will not like,” he said. “We have visitors.”

“Why wouldn’t I like visitors?” she asked, her curiosity effectively piqued. “Unless it’s…” but before she could finish naming her fear, he walked through the door. Cuthbert Rusylvan: the man whose son would marry her daughter.

“What’s that, Catherine?” he called, pretending to pick out his ears. “Who is it you don’t want to see? Not me and my lovely wife, I hope!” He laughed as he yanked his wife, Rosalyn, through the door.

Catherine plastered a fake smile on her face, hoping that her displeasure was not overly obviously. “How nice to see you both,” she lied. “I’m so pleased to be able to welcome you to our home.” She noted that Rosalyn’s face was covered with a wide grin. Inwardly, she seethed. Obviously, that bumpkin of a woman wasn’t used to such finery as could be found in the Iorvain home. In fact, Catherine thought that it was probable that the little-better-than-a-peasant had never set eyes on anything half as fine as the barest of Catherine’s furnishings.

As she ushered her guests toward the sitting area, she tried to shoot her husband a “What are they doing here?” type of expression, but he seemed blithely unaware of her attempts to catch his eye.

However, he did answer her question after they had all been seated. He inclined his head towards their visitors as he addressed her. “Cuthbert and I have to go out today,” he said to her. “There has been a murder out near Black Swamp. We have to go over and take care of things. I thought that it would be best if Rosalyn came here while we’re away. It wouldn’t be safe to leave her by herself.”

“All the way out to Black Swamp?” Catherine protested, “But that’s nowhere near our land! Shouldn’t anything occurring out that way be under the jurisdiction of Lord Baldwin?”

“He is away for the time,” her husband explained. “The king sent him out to escort his cousins, the Olgdenns here.”

Catherine sighed. She couldn’t think of an excuse to keep her husband at home, but she was not looking forward to being stuck at the keep with only Rosalyn and her children for company. “How long will you be?” she asked.

“Only a few days,” Cuthbert said. “Although the snow may hold us up a bit,” he speculated.

Catherine silently cursed the snow and resigned herself to her fate, vowing that after a few days, she would definitely wipe that stupid smile off of Rosalyn’s face.

Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 12:04 PM
I really enjyed reading your story! I love the RKC and I'm planning on starting one myself really soon. :-D I wonder whom the King will marry? And where's the little baby?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 12:18 PM
Oh my God! A comment! *does a dance*

Thanks for reading!

The baby is safe at the nunnery (for now!) *da da dummm*
And the king's future wife is coming up in the next chapter that I am currently scribbling away at.

But thanks again for dropping by. I'm glad you like it so far!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 1:29 PM
Default Chapter 12: The King Makes Many Welcomes
Chapter 12: The King Makes Many Welcomes
December 2, 1314

“Good morning, my dear cousins!” King Kaiser exclaimed, throwing his body through the chilly air towards the couch on which his two red-haired cousins sat.

“Malsom!” he exclaimed, as the other man rose to his feet, “You’re as ugly as always! And Elissa, ever as fair!” he called, while gallantly pulling her to her feet.

“And you just as stupid!” Elissa laughed, finishing up the old joke.

“’Tis your beauty that has struck me dumb,” he teased.

“Ah, but ‘tis your own self who's made an ass!” she snorted.

“Oh my darling cousin, why ever didn’t you agree to marry me?” he laughed.

“Because you were eight years old at the time, if I correctly recall!” she giggled.

He grabbed her pale white hand and kissed it as she continued laughing, her voice filling the chilly room like a small silver bell. “But what if I were to repeat the question to you now?” he teased.

“Well, I suppose I’d say that now you’re too old and stupid to marry me, as opposed to when you were eight and you were too young and too stupid.”

“I notice that you don’t think I’m too ugly!” he chuckled.

"The beard has made you quite dashing."

“Yes, I thought it might.” He suddenly realized that he had forgotten his manners in his joy to see his cousins. “But I’m sorry!” he exclaimed. “I haven’t even introduced you to Albert here!” he said, jerking his head in the direction of his steward. “Although I see that he seems to have made the acquaintance with your troll of a twin brother.”

Albert apparently heard his name and looked over at him. "My most darling cousin, Elissa," he said, introducing his cousin to his steward. "And don't get any ideas man!" he teased. "Lay one dirty finger on this beautiful darling and it will be the last finger you ever lay on any woman, for I shall chop them all off! All of them, Albert!" he teased.

His steward winked. "I would never dream of putting any of my dirty fingers anywhere near anything related to you, your majesty. Especially not the particular finger you have in mind."

“My Lord! In the presence of a lady!” he heard a withered old voice exclaim. King Kaiser groaned. “Ah, good morning, Millstein. What can I do for you?”

His grumpy old advisor sniffed. “You have visitors, my liege.”

“Well bring them in old man! Who is it at this hour anyways?”

“Someone you’ve been longing to meet!” the old man huffed. “Or perhaps not, if I correctly understand the affection you’ve been pouring onto your lovely cousin,” he smirked.

King Kaiser felt a blush sting unbidden to his cheeks. “Not Lord Denhelm and his daughter!”

Millstein curtly jerked his head.

“But they are not due to be arriving for another week!” the king exclaimed. “How on earth did they make such good time in this weather? Lord Denhelm must be ruthless”

Millstein snorted. “He has a work ethic if that is what you mean, sire. But shall I show your visitors in?”

“Yes, of course, old man! Bring them in!” Kaiser cried. His day was obviously going to be much more interesting than he had planned.

An awkward silence filled the air as soon as Millstein had left the room. Kaiser sighed as Elissa took it upon herself to revive the jesting mood.

“Find another woman so soon?” she pretended to scoff. “And after only proposing to me five minutes ago!”

Kaiser smiled at her gladly. “Forgive me darling?”

She did not have time to reply, for at that moment, three unknown figures swept imperiously into the room.

Millstein's dry voice boomed out with the introductions.

“May I present: Lord Denhelm, Duke of Hafring Valley.”

“Lady Rose, daughter of Lord Camdenn, cousin and lady-in-waiting to your future bride..."

"... the Lady Alverstine, daughter of Denhelm, soon to be Queen of the Isles”

Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#15 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 6:30 PM
I'm really enjoying this story, QueenRebecca! I especially like all of the different storylines that you have unfolding at the same time. I can't wait to read more!

There's always money in the banana stand.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 10:00 PM
Thanks so much jhd1189! I'm glad that you like it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Aug 2008 at 9:37 AM
Default Chapter 13: Alverstine Finds a Flower Instead of a Maid
Chapter 13: Alverstine Finds a Flower in Place of a Maid
December 2, 1314

Finally she could be alone. It had been a horrifyingly long day for one so weary, surrounded by the people who would one day be her only friends and acquaintances in this kingdom that was so far away from her own homeland and family.

Soon she would be married to the man that she had spent most of the day with, and the prospect gave her heart a faint tingle. He was a handsome man, and very jolly, with light hair that reminded her of the hay that lay stacked and gleaming in green fields after a rain. He had a broad smile and friendly brown eyes that crinkled pleasantly when he smiled. She imagined that it would not be hard to fall in love with the man and hoped that he also thought favorably of her.

Sighing, she let her shoulders drop. Soon a maid would come through the door to help her unlace her heavy dress, but for now, she could relax in her solitude. She had been waiting all day for this moment, and the moments after the maid had left when she would be allowed to fall against the soft sheets of the bed and drift to sleep and she sunk into the feather mattress.

After a few moments of her stolen peace, there was knock on the solid door. Reluctantly she rose and opened the door. But instead of seeing the random face of a strange maid that she had never met, she recognized the face of her own friend, cousin, and lady-in-waiting, Rose, who slipped through the door and walked over to the fireplace, absently patting her swollen stomach.

“Rose! What are you doing here?”

Rose mischievously smiled and then winked at her. “I convinced your maid to bugger off so that I could come and chat without her in the way.”

Alverstine ignored her cousin’s coarse language. There was often a sharp inconsistency of Rose’s angelic appearance and her vulgar words and daring actions.

“You should probably be in bed Rose,” Alverstine reprimanded. Her cousin was, after all, several months along in her pregnancy. It would have probably have been better for her to have stayed at home, instead of accompanying Alverstine to her new life, but things had been hard for Rose in their homeland since her husband had unexpectedly died.

“In a few minutes,” Rose replied, scrunching up her pretty face and waving her hand as if to dissipate any corporeal form of Alverstine’s concern. “I wanted to see how you were doing first. But before we talk, let me help you out of that gown.” She walked behind Alverstine and let the laces of the tight dress loose. Alverstine immediately took a gulp of air, free of the constricting cloth.

After she was more comfortably dressed in her soft, lacy nightgown, Rose helped her pull out all of the sharp pins that had been binding the long and silky cords of her thick dark hair.

“So,” began Rose as she gently pried the pins from Alverstine's hair, “how are you holding up?”

Alverstine smiled warmly at her friend. “I’m tired, but probably not half as tired as you, pregnant as you are. I can’t imagine how weary you must feel, lugging all of that extra weight around.”

“Soon you will know,” Rose sagely cautioned. “You will be married yourself in a matter of weeks, and then it won’t take long at all for you to have your own little one on the way.”

Alverstine smiled at the thought, even though the idea of the children she might one day have was still too vague to take firm hold in her mind. Her children, who would be princes and princess of a kingdom! She, who would soon the queen... How strange the thoughts!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 2:26 AM
Default Chapter 14: Rossi Slips
Chapter 14: Rossi Slips
December 3, 1314

Rosalyn sat with Catherine on a stiff bench in one of the upper story sitting rooms near the nursery. The room was quiet, except for the giggling of the little girls on the floor. Catherine had scarcely said a word to Rosalyn, but that did not bother her very much at all. She knew that the other woman did not like her very much and only tolerated her presence out of courtesy, but if she were honest with herself, Rosalyn knew that she did not need friends.

She had never really had very many girlfriends before she married Cuthbert, and she certainly didn’t have any after. Cuthbert did not like her to leave the house and guarded her social interactions very closely and very jealously.

“Your children are certainly very beautiful, Rosalyn,” Catherine whispered, interrupting the silence. Rosalyn noticed the strange longing in Catherine’s voice. Probably the other woman was thinking of her own daughter, who was meant to marry Ioreck, the oldest of Rosalyn’s sons. Maybe, like Rosalyn, she was thinking of the grandchildren she would one day have: the grandchildren which would be a mixture of their own children, reflections of their mothers and grandmothers and so on.

Rosalyn surprised herself. “You may call me Rossi,” she blurted in a strange moment of compassion. The formality with which Catherine usually handled their interactions did not bother her, so she was surprised at her own slip into warmth. “I would say it’s what my friends call me,” she clarified, “but I don’t really have very many friends...” Rosalyn felt a warm blush bloom into her cheeks. Somehow that had come out the wrong way.

Catherine looked uncomfortable at the admission and shifted nervously in her seat. After clearing her throat nervously, Catherine once again broke the awkward silence. “Our husbands should return sometime today.”

“Oh I hope not!” Rosalyn cried. Once again she had let slip an embarrassing admission. She retroactively slipped her hand over her mouth, but obviously, Catherine had still heard her outburst.

“Why ever not?” Catherine asked. It was obvious from the inflection of her tone that she was completely scandalized.

Rosalyn rushed to explain. “It’s just that I don’t get out of the house much.” She sighed, hoping that Catherine would forget what she had let slip. She had never meant to reveal so much about her lonely life. She blamed it on the wine. She would have to avoid drinking so much in the future if she wanted to retain any handle on her secrets.

Scholar
#19 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 2:35 AM
Okay this is REALLY good. I love your lighting and the storylines!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 4:03 AM
Thanks for the compliments Cinamun! I'm glad that you are enjoying it
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 4:22 AM
This is really good. I haven't seen a lot of good feudalism era stories... anywhere, especially in a medium as restrictive as the sims. Read: Your pictures are awesome. The story is so good too, I really enjoyedd reading it. Even though you don't write a lot of words you get your point across and make your characters come off the screen. *claps appreciatively*

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 5:08 AM
Hello FurryPanda! Thanks for reading. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 6:10 AM
Default Chapter 15: Nicci Learns the Words
Chapter 15: Nicci Learns the Words
December 10, 1314

Nicolette sat. Patiently she waited, curled into her chair like a spider waiting in its web. Her back was stiff from sitting motionless for so long, but she ignored her discomfort and cleared her mind, to better concentrate on the sound that she heard coming from outside It had the sound of a piece of cloth, a skirt, furling in the biting wind.

The door opened. Mathim walked inside, shaking the snow out of her raven dark hair. She was not alone. Behind her walked a chubby nun, clearly confused at being led so far into the woods.

She peered around. “I wasn’t aware that anyone lived so far out in these woods,” she babbled.

“Now you know,” replied Nicolette, for Mathim looked in no mood for speech.

“The sick woman?” the nun prodded. “You said there was a woman dying in childbirth and you needed me to perform the rights?” She smiled nervously, looking back and forth from Nicolette to Mathim.

Nicolette gracefully rose from her uncomfortable seat. Mathim slid between the nun and the door, closing it without a sound.

“There is no sick woman here,” Nicolette replied smoothly. “We just wanted to talk to you.”

The nun backed herself into a corner. “What do you want from me?”

“Only information,” Nicolette smiled. “You may remember that, several months ago, there was a woman who had a baby in your nunnery.” She waited for the nun to nod before she continued. “We simply need to know what that woman said as she was dying.”

“Mostly nonsense,” the nun replied. “I… didn’t think she said anything important.”

“There is nothing that stood out to you?” Nicolette probed, using her smoothest voice.

“Well, there was something she said that quite frightened me,” the nun admitted.

“Just tell us what it is and we’ll let you go,” Nicolette promised, but the ice hard edge to her voice betrayed the lie.

“Something about the third king… and something,” the woman mumbled, frantically looking around the room.

“Word for word,” Mathim suddenly growled. "or you'll I will kill you right now!"

The woman’s trembling knees betrayed her as she sunk to the floor. “Alright, alright!” the nun pleaded. “I do remember because it quite frightened me! I’ll tell you,but please, don’t kill me!” she blubbered. “Among some… other things, which I really don’t think made any sense, she suddenly sat up and said ‘The third son of the third son made king shall bring down destruction upon the Kingdom of the Isles.’ And that is all I remember, I swear! I only remember that much because I didn’t understand what she was talking about!”

“And where is the baby?” Nicolette inquired.

“At the nunnery!” the nun squeaked. “We intend to raise her there!”

“Kill her, Nicci,” Mathim commanded.

“But!... You said…!” the nun squeaked.

“If you told us, you may tell others,” Nicolette explained as she grabbed the woman by her elbow, bringing her body higher so that she could slice into the woman's torso with the knife she had suddenly flicked into her hand. Though she maintained a cool demeanor, she inwardly shuddered at the way the knife passed so easily through the woman’s loose flesh. She did not particularly enjoy the sensation of killing chubby nuns with knives.

The woman fell to the floor with a thud, dead before she even touched the ground.

“And now I suppose you want me to rip her guts out, too?” Nicolette snarled.

Mathim gave her a thin-lipped evil smile and nodded.

Nicolette bent resentfully down to her knees to inspect the corpse, ready to root around in the warm and wet flesh, searching for the answers that were written in the dead woman’s blood. But before she could put her hand into the woman’s sticky innards, she noticed a strange light emanating from the corpse. “Something’s wrong!” she hissed at Mathim. But even as she pronounced the words, Nicolette could see the woman’s body fading from sight, fading out of existence. It was obvious that a spell had been placed on her, specifically to prevent others from reading any message her remains might hold.

Mathim slammed her fist on the table. “Who would do this?” she growled. “Who?”

“Let’s worry about that later,” Nicolette rationed. “First let’s go get the child.”

“No!” cried Mathim. “I want answers! We have a journey to make. The child will be protected in our absence.”

Nicolette felt a low growl sound in her throat. “You promised her to me!” she hissed.

“And you shall have her!” Mathim snarled. “But this matter is more pressing. The baby shall be safe at the nunnery, Nicci! And you shall come with me!”

Nicolette quavered under Mathim’s deadly gaze, and grabbed her cloak, preparing herself for an unpleasant journey with her angry mistress.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 9:35 AM
Default Chapter 16: A Royal Wedding
Chapter 16: A Royal Wedding
January 1, 1315

Perrigwen watched in awe as the bride walked down the isle. Lady Alverstine looked absolutely gorgeous in her bridal gown. Gorgeous was a word that she loved to think about. She had only learned it a few days ago and felt a little thrill to see that she could use it so correctly even in her thoughts.

One day, she would be able to get dressed up all fancy and walk down an isle in a big pretty cathedral and get married, too. And she would be gorgeous! And her husband would be gorgeous! She didn't now how she could ever bear to wait so long....She was so excited!

And she would be excited when she finally met the man that she was going to marry. She knew that she was betrothed to someone, but she had never met him. Her mother kept telling her that they would be able to meet soon so that Perri could dream about her future husband. She did already dream about him, even though it was hard, since she didn’t know what he looked like. But if he looked anything like his mother, Rossi, then she would be ever so thrilled! Rossi was one of the most gorgeous women she had ever seen. Surely someone so gorgeous would have a gorgeous son as well.

And she would be able to find out today what he was like, if only she could see over all of the heads in the pews behind her! She tried to peer around her should to look at the guests, but she could not see her betrothed, who she knew for a fact to be sitting on one side of Rossi, who was in the very vack. He was apparently too short to be glimpsed over everyone else.

She sighed, but didn’t know if seeing him or watching the royal wedding was more exciting. After weighing it in her mind, she decided the wedding was, since she’d be able to finally meet her betrothed after the wedding mass, but after the wedding mass, she would not be able to watch the wedding.

As she turned her attention back to the ceremony, she sighed again, happily this time. They were in the middle of saying their vows. Perri thought that it was just the most romantic thing. The part about being together in love until death really sent a pleasant shiver down her spine. One day someone would love her like that!

Soon they finished the vows and were to perform the most important part of the wedding. The kiss! Perrigwen wanted to giggle, the gorgeous romance of it almost overwhelming her.

Finally their lips met and she wanted to cry with joy. They looked so very much in love, she thought. It was good sign to her, because they had been betrothed without knowing each other first just like she was now! Of course, King Kaiser was handsome. She didn’t know what to expect of her own husband. Perhaps he would be just as dashing and charming as the king! She smiled happily to herself. Now that was something to daydream about!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 12:24 PM
Default Chapter 17: Perri Meets Her Match
Chapter 17: Perri Meets Her Match
January 1, 1315

The second that she had arrived at the party, Perri had let her eyes flash out over the faces, searching like a beacon trying to locate Rossi. The wedding mass had finally ended, and it was time for the feast at Lord Baldwin’s castle in celebration of the newlyweds. Perri had tried to find Rossi and her betrothed the second mass had ended, but her mother had made her stay put while she had chatted with her friends.

Finally Perri found Rossi in the crowd. And there, in the corner beside her was her future husband. Her heart fluttered. She ran forward, breaking away from her parents, in a rush to finally meet him. Before she had even reached him, she shouted from across the room.

“Hey! You’re my husband!” That got his attention.

Immediately his brow crumpled and he wrinkled his nose. “I think you must be mistaken,” he huffed. “I am no one’s husband as I am quite too young to be married.”

Perrigwen stopped in her tracks. “You’re Ioreck, right?”

He nodded. “But that does not make me your husband.”

“It was a joke, stupid! What I meant was that you will be my husband one day.”

He turned his nose up at her. “Well then say what you mean and don’t be an idiot.”

“Well maybe you’re the idiot for misunderstanding then!” Perri yelled.

“At least I’m not an idiot with red hair the color of tomatoes!” he taunted.

Perri ran forward at him, thinking to grab him by the neck and choke him with her bare hands. “Take that back!” she cried. “My hair is not the color of tomatoes!”

“Well, fine then, it’s the color of carrots,” he said. “And carrots are quite disgusting.”

“Well I think you’re disgusting,” she countered.

“Well that’s damn fine with me. I’ll leave then.” He brushed by her shoulder as he did just that.

Perrigwen suddenly found herself alone with a few problems, just as the baron announced that dinner was served. By some miracle, she managed to wedge herself in between two magnificent and gorgeous grown-up ladies. She had a lot on her mind and she wanted to discuss some things with women who were not her mother.

She began with Queen Alverstine. “Your wedding was very gorgeous,” she said as the new queen beamed at her. “and so I need to ask for some advice about my wedding.”

The queen kept smiling, so Perri kept talking. “I need to know what I should do if my future husband is an idiot.”

Ioreck snorted at her from across the table. “Like I’ll ever marry you!” he rolled his eyes.

Perri turned back to the queen. “See what I mean?”

Obviosuly, the queen was amused, but she only said, “I don’t know if I can help you with that, my dear! I do not have very much experience in the matter, myself.” She smiled at her new husband.

It was then that Perri was struck with how unlike the other men Ioreck was. Sure they were older, and therefore many times more attractive and dashing and gallant, but he just couldn’t compare. She sighed.

Since the queen couldn’t answer her first question, she thought to seek a different source for the second. “Rose, what does ‘damn’ mean?”

Rose almost chocked on her food. “Where did you hear that?” she laughed.

Since Rose was laughing, Perri figured it must be a funny word… or a bad word she shouldn’t know. She didn’t want Ioreck to take the credit for some funny joke, but on the other hand, she did want him to get in trouble if he had said something he shouldn’t have.

“Ioreck said it when I told him he was disgusting,” she confessed.

“Ah then,” said Rose knowingly, “it is a word that little boys might say when they see a pretty girl they like.”

Perrigwen snorted. “Come on, Rose, I’m not a child! What does it mean?” She was anxious to get to the bottom of the mystery, especially if she got a new vocabulary word out of the deal.

Rose laughed some more. “It’s just something people say when they get angry sometimes. But it’s not for little girls to say.” She winked, “At least not if their mothers are around!”

Perrigwen liked the sound of that. Damn. What a gorgeous word! She couldn’t wait to test it out on Ioreck. He’d probably make her angry again before the night was even out! The thought seemed like a bright spot in her night. At least that would be something she’d have to look forward to if she married that idiot. Lots of new and interesting words!

Page 1 of 5