Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1383
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 5315 (Who?), Viewed: 189076 times.
Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 3:04 AM DefaultSims have a "known as" name? #5301
AndrewGloria
Mad Poster

6 Achievements

I find I do best if I reboot every few days. My usual reason for rebooting is that my computer has got too slow to play The Sims 2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got a extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about. Have a look at these SimPE screenshots:

Now look at their names in-game:

I have never seen the names Teresa and Devi in-game, and I cannot find the names Tess and Denise anywhere in SimPE. It's maybe worth mentioning that I have HystericalParoxysm's version of Live.package. The Bluewater townies were the first sizable group of Sims to get their names from this source after I installed it. Although the SimPE developers appear not to know about this extra name, it does look as if HP must have known something about it. I understand she's on long-term sabbatical leave, rather than retired, so I hope she may come back one day an explain what she knows.

I presume this is the reason why I've seen it recommended that we use an in-game utility to change a Sim's first name rather than SimPE.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Last edited by AndrewGloria : Yesterday at 3:57 AM. Reason: No space in HP's name!
Old Yesterday, 3:50 AM #5302
ihatemandatoryregister
Mad Poster

5 Achievements

Do you play the game in UK English? I have a hunch it might be related to that.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Old Yesterday, 3:54 AM #5303
AndrewGloria
Mad Poster

6 Achievements

I'm pretty sure I play in U.S. English.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM #5304
kanzen
Instructor

7 Achievements

according to our prev discussion, toddlers are included on the serve food count and that their serving turns into baby food as long as they are in the highchair.

voila! Bass with Squash ala mush =))
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  143.8 KB  

I gave up my dream to earn a living.
Old Yesterday, 1:46 PM #5305
conversesneaker
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got a extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about. Have a look at these SimPE screenshots:

It's known - all the subhood Sims (University, Downtown, Shopping, Vacation, etc.) have names in code but once they are generated, get randomly generated names.
Old Yesterday, 3:57 PM #5306
Rosebine
Mad Poster

11 Achievements

Your ala mush made me laugh

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi franšais !...surtout :0)
Old Yesterday, 4:20 PM #5307
kanzen
Instructor

7 Achievements

glad to be of service! but most of all thank you to everyone who was in the "how do i handle toddlers and highchairs properly" I have learned a lot xD

I gave up my dream to earn a living.
Old Yesterday, 9:37 PM #5308
mdsb759
Top Secret Researcher

entered mentioned cheat in Live Mode; both versions. and had sim adopt a pet through phone; the pet could still act autonomously.

some discoveries from playing an AnyGame that had only Apartment Life::
-the keyboard shortcuts for diagonal and octagonal rooms work.
-Apartment life has some half-walls
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM #5309
ihatemandatoryregister
Mad Poster

5 Achievements

Does petsfreewill work in an AnyGame with just Pets? Maybe it got broken in one of the later EPs.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM #5310
mdsb759
Top Secret Researcher

am currently unable to test with just Pets; and another expansion. posted about it in Help section; thread title contains both expansion names.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM #5311
ihatemandatoryregister
Mad Poster

5 Achievements

Both Bon Voyage and Apartment Life use the pet system for Sims, I believe, meaning that the controlpets and cancelpetaction cheats will work on them. Bon Voyage for vacation guests and Apartment Life for roommates. So it's possible one of those two EPs broke it with the modifications needed to do that.

Old Today, 3:53 AM #5312
Nukk
Test Subject

I have a Sim who owns a pet store. Until now, I didn't know how having other families visit that pet store would work, so I figured out that it was simpler than I expected.

I also discovered that if your Sim purchases a pet from a store, it opens a pet CAS basically, so that's neat and unexpected. I figured I was just getting a randomized pet, but apparently not!
Old Today, 4:04 AM #5313
Rosebine
Mad Poster

11 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukk
I also discovered that if your Sim purchases a pet from a store, it opens a pet CAS basically, so that's neat and unexpected. I figured I was just getting a randomized pet, but apparently not!

Yes! Before I knew about this, I was carefully chosen what breed I would put up for sale...lol Just in case, that was what a sim would get. Now I know better and guess what?...I still go for the look. lol

Old Today, 4:09 AM #5314
FranH
Mad Poster

It's only through adoption you get no chance to choose your pet for customization. The adoptive dogs and cats are it. No changing them, unfortunately.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Old Today, 4:16 AM #5315
Rosebine
Mad Poster

11 Achievements

Well, you have change pet's name appearance in the mirror.

Old Today, 12:49 PM #5316
RoxEllen1965
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got an extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about.
I have never seen the names Teresa and Devi in-game, and I cannot find the names Tess and Denise anywhere in SimPE.

This is normal for townies, dormies, downtownies, etc. All of them have names that are "only referenced in the game files" as Sims.Wikia puts it, although it does seem odd that only the hidden names show up in SimPE. The game randomizes the name that the sim actually uses in the neighborhood. Here's the article on Orion Teens as an example. There are LOTS of others on that site. I don't know why Maxis bothered giving them names if they're just going to get randomized ones anyway.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Orion_Teens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimsWiki
Orion's name is randomized when Downtown is generated. The name "Orion Teens" is only referenced in the game files.

Section jump: