Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2018 at 10:47 PM Last edited by blyneliaivel : 16th May 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Default How much does your mods folder "weigh"?
Mine is 2.7 GB.Most of the space is occupied by store content&hairdos. I have hoarded nearly 360 pieces of hairstyles which is freaky,but hair is something that gives a lot of character to a sim,apart from makeup-face enhancers.
What about your mods folder?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th May 2018 at 10:53 PM
Quote:
Hard drive density is measured in bits per square inch, the highest of which are currently (5/2013) 750 gigabits per square inch. This means that a gigabyte of data will take up about 6.88 millimeter2. The weight of an area of a platter consists of the substrate (usually glass and ceramic) and the magnetic layer which actually holds the magnetic grains storing the data. The magnetic layer is usually made of a mostly cobalt alloy of 10-20 nm thickness. Assuming 10nm thickness to make the math easier, This gives us about 6.88 * 1013 nm3 of magnetic layer material for one gigabyte.

Given the density of cobalt, this means that we can approximate the weight at 0.612471 micrograms. Then we multiply this by 3.54.

-------

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th May 2018 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I don't know, I could never take it out and put it on a weighing scale.

C'mon,ya kno wot I am asking for. A CUP OF PURE HONESY.And innards of yer mods folder.
Scholar
#5 Old 14th May 2018 at 11:52 PM
11.5GB! With that and my savedsims folder backed up onto a stick because losing it would be devastating.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2018 at 12:39 AM Last edited by igazor : 15th May 2018 at 3:59 AM.
Oh, for heavens sake. What is the matter with you people, or your science teachers? You don't toss your Mods folder onto a scale (sheesh). First you weigh yourself. Then you weigh yourself while holding your Mods folder, and subtract. Then repeat while upside-down and drinking a glass of water...oh no wait that's a cure for hiccups, isn't it.

Uhm, about 1.5 GB I think just under 1.5 GB. Guess I've always been more mod than heavy content oriented.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th May 2018 at 1:01 AM
Mine's only 15MB. Just NRaas mods and a custom hair, plus statues of Sim Sample that ATS Sandy made for me. :lovestruc

It takes me three days to decide what pattern to make the curtains in Sims 3, so I don't dare add any custom objects or CAS stuff!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th May 2018 at 3:46 AM
I've got nearly 2g of content because I've got a heavy load of both Mods and CC with over 700 Mod files and thousands of package files of CC.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 15th May 2018 at 5:46 AM
I'm a lot more restrained with Sims CC and mods than with Sims 2 - I believe my Sims 3 mod folder is a trim 888 megs.
#11 Old 15th May 2018 at 6:38 AM
Downloads folder, 1.1 gigs
Packages folder, 1.73 gigs

Man, remember when entire computers couldn't hold that much? Remember when entire computer NETWORKS couldn't hold that much?
Alchemist
#12 Old 15th May 2018 at 7:25 AM
2.6 GB - didn't expect it to be that small! Most of it is hairstyles because, like @blyneliaivel said, they make sims more distinct. As for other CC, I've restricted it to the most versatile items I can find, those which I can recolor to use in multiple themes and which look like what an average person would have in their home. I don't really bother to style NPCs or townies anymore as my sims don't interact with them often enough to matter, and time seems to go by so fast (even at half-speed) that they quickly age up and lose whatever outfit I'd put them in, so it's not worth it.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 15th May 2018 at 7:44 AM
Mine's still counting.

OK, I may have done something wrong somewhere.
Instructor
#14 Old 15th May 2018 at 12:48 PM Last edited by LiliLiliLili : 15th May 2018 at 1:07 PM.
backup mods folder: 873 MB
Actual mods folder (I did not put some cc in it from the backup folder): 833 MB

Downloads: 1,88 GB backup downloads: 638 MB

The regular downloads is bigger, because it has cc I downloaded from the store after I install the game each time I log in and I can manage them so they go into the folder.
I don't know if I should drop them into my backup folder aswell? What do you think? Then I would not have to manage them ingame.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 15th May 2018 at 2:40 PM
For regular gameplay on the sims3packs, you don't need to keep anything at all in your game folder's Downloads (if this is what was meant) after it's been installed. That just makes the Launcher work harder trying to read it all when it no longer needs to. Already installed sims3pack content lives in the DCCache folder.
Scholar
#16 Old 15th May 2018 at 3:06 PM
Now I'm slightly embarrassed... I bet @BL00DIEDHELL has a bigger folder than I do, though!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th May 2018 at 4:23 PM
Downloads folder - 205 mb, all I use it for is worlds
Mods folder - 5.54 gb
Also, another 303 mb merged into Fullbuild packages; I'm experimenting

Apparently, I need more :D

Tumblr? WTF is a Tumblr??
*sigh* - Simblr
Inventor
#18 Old 15th May 2018 at 7:07 PM
Around 12 gb
Mad Poster
#19 Old 15th May 2018 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nat 619
Now I'm slightly embarrassed... I bet @BL00DIEDHELL has a bigger folder than I do, though!

17.6 GB ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 15th May 2018 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Downloads folder, 1.1 gigs
Packages folder, 1.73 gigs

Man, remember when entire computers couldn't hold that much? Remember when entire computer NETWORKS couldn't hold that much?

I remember about 25 years ago I got a software program for Christmas and my computer couldn't run it, because it didn't have enough memory.

It required 2 k.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th May 2018 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
I remember about 25 years ago I got a software program for Christmas and my computer couldn't run it, because it didn't have enough memory.
It required 2 k.

...I hope you meant 2 megabytes because not having 2 kilobytes of RAM back in '92-'93 not only sounds unlikely, it's got to be straight-up cruel. That'd be a bit like having 128 megs anno 2018, when you need >10 times that to run Windows.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 16th May 2018 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG

It required 2 k.

I remember having to build a ram pack for my ZX81 because of this. It was more like 40 years ago, though!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th May 2018 at 1:42 AM
Hm, says here that the first version of MS-DOS, 1981, required at least 32 kilobytes of RAM to run. The last version, PC-DOS 2000, required 512 KBs. Which would have been an unrealistic and superfluous amount of RAM in 1981, but ridiculously poor by 1998 standards.

Now 5 years later, when I got the PC that I first played The Sims on, it had a respectable 512 MBs of RAM. Quite a lot more than The Sims ever needed, and a hell of a lot more than DOS could ever use, let alone need. A drastic improvement over the 1998 rig I played my first video game on, too, because that PC only had 64.
Now I can't be bothered to check but my PC after that, from 2006, which I'm currently using as a side table, had 2 gigs and I think I was already up to twice that 2 years later. Fast forward just 4 short years and I jump from 4 gigs to 16 gigs. So I'd say Moore's Law is alive and well. Then again, I had 16 gigs in 2012 and I'll still have 16 gigs in 2020. So maybe the end is near.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#24 Old 16th May 2018 at 5:48 AM
78Omb. Wow I didn't even have a clue I was thinking it would be like 11gb.
Instructor
#25 Old 17th May 2018 at 1:57 AM
4.96 GB. Honestly I did not expect it to be that high hmm. Might have to do some spring cleaning
Page 1 of 2