Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 11:07 AM
Default [moved] Proposal: The 20k House Challange.
From surfing around, it seems there seems to be a desire for starter houses or some such like that. I thought it would make an interesting contest of some sort to have the 20k Challange, to build the most interesting/unique/strange/fun starter location for the sims.

We could further complicate matters with Single Residency / Family Residency and have catagories like uniqueness, frugalness, quality of living...

I figure this would be a good thread to discuss the desire for this as well as specifics if there is any desire...

What do you think?
Advertisement
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 11:10 AM
I just uploaded my starter home because there are none at the moment. It's not unique but it has everything your sims need for just below 20k.
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 11:17 AM
I was thinking about doing that anyway. Prima gives a list as a suggestion, of items to place in the home, but it goes over the 20k limit. I guess start with the most pressing stuff and go from there.
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 11:20 AM
great idea, i'll get started on making a house straight away.
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 11:51 AM
Woohoo, Ok there seems to be an interest and a desire...

Since its gonna be a contest we need to do a raiting system I would figure. Once we nail that down we can type up some rules, maybe even get the mods to help with a page for the winners of each round or some such. Of course we would need judges... Maybe even the mods could help on that front.

Ok just to get things moving on the raiting my sugestions (feel free to comment or add to these)

Decor - Obvious explination this is strictly from an looks point of view, Id say to get good raitings in this the sim should also like the looks.

Unique - Obvious explination hard to rate but should be in there

Functionality - Does the house "Work" does it give enough for the sim to get started, are there path problems due to placement, Did the person save enough money to get some cool stuff in the house

Bang For The Buck - Sure they spent only 12k but did they do it well? Same thing goes for spending more cash.

[By the way I am in no way sugesting I run the thing, im just trying to get it started]
[ Edited Thu Oct 14 2004, 11:52AM ]
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 1:06 PM
Hehe this is fun I made another starter home. It's based on the 8-pointed star home I made earlier. Should be in the download section soon
http://img86.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img86&image=8pointedstarterhome.jpg

maybe it's a good idea to make a catagory with and one without furniture. Ofcourse then the house should be a lot cheaper than 20k.
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 1:48 PM
Just saw this thread.

I made a starter home and it is available for DL here, check out the mobile home, lol. Not that unique, but realistic for a real starter home. Works well too.
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 2:14 PM
That is one heck of a great idea! :D
I'm also always in need of starter homes for fresh families! I hate to move them onto my "moneymaking" lot first, just so they get those 2 k extra bucks they need to buy that nice house. UGH!

Really great idea, I will try my luck today as well, just for fun! :D
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 3:01 PM
Hey, this is a great idea. 99.9% of the lots you see on the Sims2 website are huge mansions, but the fun part about huge houses is making them yourself. The real challenge is to build a starter home that looks and functions well. I made my own neighborhood so I'm always looking for good starter homes to plop down.

I would keep the rating system simple with just a Practical and Artistic score.
Test Subject
#10 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 4:07 PM
yeah, thats a good idea
Im always trying to build the most minimalistic house possible, but with it being the most effective at the same time.
I shall go and try to make a good one, then report here
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 5:16 PM
Yeah I agree. I've made quiet a number of starter homes myself. Even built a pretty good trailer park. I find that small ranch style homes work the best. Just close off the bedroom and the bathroom. The kitchen, dinning room, and living room should be one big room.
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Oct 2004 at 8:35 PM
If you go to the Sims2.com and look up Tekware3D you will see I made a whole collection of "low income" housing way below $20,000. Trailers, Hud houses and more.
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 12:16 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've download practically all of your commercial lots. Nice stuff you got there. Didn't try out the trailers though. I'm pretty good at making them on my own but your stuff is pretty good.
Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 12:33 AM
Think ill make one too 8)
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 12:34 AM
Funny, I thought the trailer was a good conecpt to, working on one now just for the fun of it while we see if I can get some momentium.
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#16 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 2:54 AM
Ooooh great - I like building with a purpose and entered Sims Lot Game quite a lot with S1.

I wish when you moved families out of houses you hade the option to leave them fully furnished. Although I guess you could package the lot and just re-install it after you move the family on and they take all the gear with them.

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 4:45 AM
Yeh, Good Proposal...
As stated above, there are many request and demands for &quot;Starter&quot; or
&quot;practical&quot; residential home for Sims 2 play..

My suggestion is that the next competetion should include
&quot;middle income prictical home&quot;

Fully furnished starter home with $20K leaves not much room
to show creativity and variety.
And for practical game play, after Sims earns some money, get married and have baby,
Sooner or later, they should move to larger, middle-income house,
which is in short supply too.

I suggest adding competition part for &quot;practical Middle-income home&quot; part ?
or consider it as next competition subject.
It is $50K or $100K ranage, have enough room to accomodate 4-5 sims.
( 2-3 adults/elders and 2-3 children / teen-agers )

I think that demand for such a middle income house lot is greater than
that of starter house lot among ordinary players.

And another proposal : Pactical community lot:

There are very few comunity lot is available on the web.
Some available lots have same shortcomings as big, grand residential lots:
It is for viewing, not for using..

Comunity lot is quite resource-hungry than residential one.
Gamer with slow compter will suffer from slow game even
in Maxis-mode stock community lot.

The pricatical comunity lot should be practical and frugal
in computer resource usage; not in simoleon value.
And for gamer's convenience, all the three types of merchandizer
shoule be available in single lots (optionally including small park /swiming pool.)

I don't think that all thee competition can be held in this time.
But, please consider them for next competition candidates.

[ Edited Fri Oct 15 2004, 04:56AM ]
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 3:07 PM
I've been working on an under 20k 'starter' house on a modular format that is designed for 'renovations' later on to make a nicer/larger house.
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 3:09 PM
As for the 'middle income' home, I agree that is a good idea - but I've played the game a bit and I'd have to say that without cheats, its pretty darn hard to accumulate that kind of cash in the game (like 100k) in one Sim lifetime.
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th Oct 2004 at 4:48 PM
You are forgetting life elixer, or do you call that cheating?
And it's not that hard, you just gotta get lucky with bonuses, they can be up to 50k. Or marry a sim with money
Forum Resident
#21 Old 16th Oct 2004 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mad_Michael
As for the 'middle income' home, I agree that is a good idea - but I've played the game a bit and I'd have to say that without cheats, its pretty darn hard to accumulate that kind of cash in the game (like 100k) in one Sim lifetime.

Not really ....

My way is to make friends w/ townies and invite them move in.

Then I will try to &quot;upgrade&quot; them to the top.

Each job promotion will bring some bonus, and when they get to the top of their career, I will just find a new place for them.

Each of them will have 20k.

Certainly, you can invite them to move back w/ you, they will bring the 20k w/ them when they move in.

If you think this is kind of cheating, you can find a new townie and repeat the same thing -- &quot;upgrade&quot; him/her so for.

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Test Subject
#22 Old 16th Oct 2004 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SchaapjeBlaaT
You are forgetting life elixer, or do you call that cheating?
And it's not that hard, you just gotta get lucky with bonuses, they can be up to 50k. Or marry a sim with money

My first Romance aspirition Sim got a chance card that handed her a cool 75,000 .

1. If you can't respect another's POV, you have no right to complain when he doesn't respect yours.
2. If you can't tell the difference between Real Life and a Game, seek professional help.
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Oct 2004 at 12:16 PM
Ok I just uploaded Starter Home Series: Trailer 1br/1ba
should be approved whenever. I guess this would be an example file of what can be done with 20k and a bit of creativity. Its just a simple trailer with room for expansion. Total cost is in the 16k range.
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Oct 2004 at 10:01 PM
What does the 20k include? i.e. does it include the cost of the lot (2x3, 3x3 etc). Does it include wallpaper? Stuff like that.

Once i know that im up for this!
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Oct 2004 at 11:55 PM
I uploaded a starter house yesterday, it costs 20K exactly, and on top of that it includes everything you'll need to get started... but for some reason the housing section of the downloads have dissapeared.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 1 of 2