Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 8:33 AM
Default Contralto
I'm a contralto... basically just a tenor with ta-tas. Used to be so uncomfortable with my voice until my late teens, when my dad explained to me that my range would be Second Alto/First Tenor. Kinda sounded cool, being a tenor. Used to speak with a falsetto because I thought I sounded like a boy, but my dad's explanation of the 'Alto' range reassured me that there was nothing wrong with my voice.

I've even exercised the lower ends of my vocal cords after some attempts to sing as high as Bjork. (ain't gonna happen in this lifetime lol) and when I listen to myself singing, I often sound kinda like Cher, Allison Moyet, Shirley Manson, or Jill Cunnif. Any other Contraltos here? It's kinda neat to be able to be either a bass for an all-female group or a tenor for a mostly-male group.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 1:49 AM
I have a low voice for a female. What to call it? I wouldn't know my contralto from my ta-tas.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 6:12 PM
I'm contralto too.But I love It.Some peeps define lower voices as a curse,but I dig em.Of course,ability to sing in higher registers without straining is desirable as well.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 6:17 AM
That's approximately my range, as well.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 10:05 PM
I think we need to help these girls who have lower voices - they need to be reassured that there is NOTHING wrong with their voices and that it's not weird for a woman to play a trouser role... or even just a 'David Bowie' role (since contraltos can sing songs by David Bowie )
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
(since contraltos can sing songs by David Bowie )
Yes it's true! For that matter, I can sing some Gordon Lightfoot too. Alas, Rod Stewart can get a little too high for me.

Oh I wish I had a good enough ear to decompose harmony vocals! There are songs I love to play whilst working in the kitchen that have leads too high for me to sing along with, but I think I could do the harmonies -- if I could decode them so I'd have something to practice. For example, here's Allison and Catherine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bxvg-mQ0RM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 7:08 AM
Sometimes I can dissect the harmonies, and I've been studying performances by Rockapella and other groups I like. I can also sing both parts in "Money For Nothing" - Mark Knoffler and Sting.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 7:27 AM
Used to think I sounded like Momma Cass (alto). Now I just LOOK like her -- well if she were still alive. And old. But still like my deep voice.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 8:58 PM
One of my favourite contralto-friendly songs is "Walk of Life," though I also like singing songs from Smashing Pumpkins and other 90's groups.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
I can also sing both parts in "Money For Nothing" - Mark Knopfler and Sting.
Well okay, but can you play both guitars in that bridge part? I can't come anywhere close. Perhaps I should have learned to play the guitar. Or possibly to play them drums.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 10:26 PM