Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 5:14 PM
Default Can I get some help?
I have this bathroom running around in my head that I really want to create. One of the reasons is that I want said bathroom eventually for my own home, when we finally buy one, and I want to show hubby what I want.

The thing is, the objects that I want pretty much almost ALL don't exist anywhere that I've seen.

I actually created a wall for use in the game (though I found someone stole it later and put it on their site), so that I know how to do.

But, I want things like a whirlpool bath of a specific design, a massage table of specific design, that sort of thing.

The thing is that every time I try to go in to "create" mode, I seem to hit a wall. In that I have NO idea where to even remotely start.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice to jump start the attempt because you've made so many beautiful objects for the game.

Like... how do you know how big to make an object?

do you just copy an already existing item and start from there?

what if the item you want actually doesn't exist in the game? Like the whirlpool bath that I want. I want it big enough to put two sims in at once so they can both bathe at the same time. Is this even possible? The tub I want, they'd have to both get out the same side of the tub because the other three sides would be blocked by wall. So can I even create this? Or would I have to do it to fit only one sim at a time? The thing is that whirlpool tubs aren't going to just be one person. My in-laws have one big enough to fit two people (I'd actually love to make a copy of it) and has walls on three sides so you have to get in the front. And a regular bathtub would be two large squares, but a whirlpool would be three.

I don't even know if its possible to create that tub. I'm starting to wonder if I set a project too big for myself. I don't even know how to set up a tub to be usable if I don't just copy it.

Can you help?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 5:59 PM
I've moved your thread to the TS3 mesh creation forums - you didn't specify which game so I assumed TS3 since your recent posts have been on TS3 threads.

Generally, meshing a new object is a matter of cloning an existing object (basing your object on it) and then importing that object into a 3D editor and creating a new 3D shape with the original as a guide to sizing and positioning of key elements (faucets, water surface, etc.). I don't believe the two person tub is really doable at this point - I don't think you'd be able to get the sims to animate getting in and out and using it properly. Custom animations for TS3 are not doable yet - default replacements only, far as I'm aware.

I think if you want to get started making objects, start by making a table - there's a full tutorial on making a table from scratch, and it's going to be the easiest to learn the basics of positioning, scaling, etc., and getting objects working in-game. It's also very basic in terms of bone assignments, so you don't get overwhelmed with that stuff. And it's easy enough to learn the basics of 3D modelling with, too - UV mapping and whatnot.

Good luck, and happy simming!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 6:46 PM
Oops. I should have said. Thanks muchly.

I looked for the proper forums but didn't see it.
Alchemist
#4 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 7:16 PM