Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 5:58 PM
Default World Size, Number of Lots and diversity.
Ok,

So, I ve been working on a new world for our beloved game, and have come to a stand still due to two important questions.

As my world grew, I found myself with 21 major 'area's' or neighborhoods in my city each with between 6 and 20 lots. As well as a handful of single or paired lots in lesser detailed areas.

and my lot count has exceeded my original limit of no more than 100 lots.

I've been quite about my work till now but find i need input.

So here I am.

Systems vary greatly from player to player, and yes lots can be 'bin'ed' for sake of processing power.

But as far as a universal usable world.....

What say you?

At this point i am thinking of splitting the world into three separate worlds...

1 lower to middle income
1 middle to upper income
and 1 upper to wooza income....

sooooo... one world? or three?

The maps of each town use distant terrain and through the routing the illusion that they are adjoining landscapes is maintained...

The second reasoning for this train of thought is that each is a 2048 x 2048 map, so there would be extra room for tombs and landscape lots... not just houses and buildings....

I will post a thread on the world development next and put a link here for pics.....

world.

Theme: Sims 1 Superstar and Vacation theme brought to sims 3....

Name:
Los Aspirus

three 'zones' split out would be....

Flamingo Bay =
Lower to middle income bayside community (east side)

Studio City =
Middle to Upper income seaside valley (west side)

Highland Valley =
Upper to Wooza income snowy mountain valley north of Studio City

comments? advice?

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 7:02 PM
I would give folks the option. I prefer larger worlds with many different neighborhoods. You could just leave some of the lots empty for future expansion by the player. Pescado actually recommends at least 100 lots to keep the hood viable for several generations. Otherwise, you end up having to move out half your sims to get new blood.

I know some people like smaller hoods. So why don't you finish your large hood and then complete the smaller ones for folks who prefer smaller hoods. Since your lots are done, and in my opinion those are the most time consuming part of hood building, it shouldn't be too difficult.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 7:08 PM
Good advice...

I think your right and i should just do both lmao!

Guess I'll start here...
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 7:58 PM
Great! I can't wait to see your larger world! I love to watch my sims climb the ladder and move into better sub-hoods.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 12:32 PM
I love the idea!!

I would suggest doing both and what people want and like varies a lot.

~ Nyn ~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 3:12 PM
ok so this was what happened... lol.

all the imput here at MTS has helped me hold my course... sorta.

so I plan to release the world in two types...

one with no buildings just lots that you the end user can put in what you want.

and one with my lots and lots i like or whatnot.

I did however take some areas out of the main world and have built two added worlds that 'seamlessly' appear to be geographically related.

attached is a scaled down grayscale of all three in one.

of course that is not how worlds work, but its the illusion i think that matters most...

the upper left area is a national forest and snowy retreat. much like the vacation world in the sims 1

the lower left area is what i started with, it's a studio town sims 1 like area with movie music and fashion areas....

the lower right is FLAMINGO BAY!

W00t!!!!!!

this is where the mashuga's come from. (and in my games my ancestors are the mashuga's and the ghast's)

it's beach and hills and a marina and a fort and.....stuff....
lol

so it's going along.

By moving the areas around and making it all three worlds i had room to add more backlots to the studio. adding in a wild west area now...

attachment seems to not want to show up...grrr
Screenshots

Guess I'll start here...
Instructor
#7 Old 14th Feb 2010 at 4:22 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I thought this information might be useful if someone seaches to find information about the numbers.

I took some time to do a bit of research on the number of lots required for a large map that would provide a EA type sustainable town. I counted lots in both Riverview and Sunset Valley. I am not sure if this information will help anyone else, but I thought it might be useful to know when trying to create a playable and sustainable neighborhood. Here is the basic breakdown (average between the two)

90 Total Lots

30 Community Lots
8/10 of these were parks, beaches, fishing holes and pools
22-20 were divided between job lots and others like the gym

60 Residential Lots
24 Occupied Residential Lots - this was in both neighborhoods
36 Residential lots split about 50/50 or 45/50 percent empty houses/lots
Twice the number of 1&2 bedroom houses to 3+ bedrooms houses.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Feb 2010 at 4:36 PM
@Sook Great research...

This is exactly what I'm talking about... It's not just enough to slap whip out a map, splatter some terrain together and plop some lots in.

I've downloaded and looked into allot of world and most are very unbalanced. I'm also seeing may worlds with incomplete routing and such. Its a big rush to finish kinda thing...

QA and testing is as important as the creative parts...

And I know there is a big drive for SMALLER worlds... but too small, or lacking in needed diversity and space, is just no good. and cramming a ton of lots to close together has been warned against in the basic documentation.

It's important i think for more THEMED and UNIQUE worlds to be built...

and i think this kind of fact based info, and discussion CAN and WILL help us create a more balanced and professional grade worlds....

Guess I'll start here...
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 14th Feb 2010 at 6:04 PM
Is there such thing as too many lots? I have more than 100 in my world so far and I am wondering if I should cut out a few. Will the only affect be lag? If so, would it be good maybe to make two versions of a world, one with more lots for those with good computers and then one with fewer lots. I keep thinking of the upcoming expansion packs and want to make sure there is enough room for possible apartment buildings and/or business lots.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 14th Feb 2010 at 6:12 PM
That might be a good idea. It is not a problem for me because I had a new computer built specifically to play Sims 3. But I think it would be very nice of you to do 2 versions.

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Feb 2010 at 6:58 PM
rian90 - although I'm definitely no expert, I do think that the only problem people will suffer is lag - which can of course be horrendous and make a game unplayable if your computer can't hack it.

so I think that if you can and have the time and patience, bringing out 2 versions of a world with a different number of lots would be fantastic - that way everyone has a chance to play your world.

~ Nyn ~
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 4:07 AM
Its very easy to delete lots so its not a problem at all. I am not going to build on all of them anyway, partly because I want the world to be dynamic in my game...build a new house for the young couple, etc. But also because I think people like places to put their own unique style into a world.

Thanks for the help!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 5:43 AM
Just remember the size of the world and the number of lots with or without buildings does impact the games performance.

larger spaces cause more routing.
as does rendering the terrain even at lower quality in the far off...

lots close together, or with lots of trees, or worlds with lots of world objects....

and on and on.

Gotta find the balance.
like how the 'row' of pine trees objects can be found in CAW.... Looking over the EA lite games. I see a pattern to what they used and what they left out... balancing the many aspects of what the game must do.

I like the idea of making two versions of a world,

the Lite
and the super-size me.

Guess I'll start here...
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 6:02 PM
I am trying to keep a balance...small downtown areas with more lots and more spread out lots in the residential areas. I don't have to worry about vegetation since its a desert so very sparse. But my initial plan was to build this for myself so that is what I am doing. Some folks have requested I release it and I don't want to release something that only a few people can play. Although on the other hand, I see many tiny worlds and I am able to play larger ones so prefer larger ones. You are right..it is a balance.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 6:27 PM
good work! sounds like you ave a good grip on creating a world. I look forward to your world myself as i have a computer on steroids. so bigger is better for me

Guess I'll start here...
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 7:47 PM
I did post some pictures on the Feedback thread although it has dropped off the list. I guess no one had very much feedback! LOL I don't want to hijack the thread any more than I already have but its Mimosa, a desert town. Any feedback you might have would be helpful. I made the mistake of tackling a rather large project first..bad idea. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=390418

I am a writer so used to criticism..some of it rather harsh. LOL So no worries about offending me if you tell me I need to change something. In fact, I cherish criticism as it makes one better.