Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 11:32 AM Last edited by OtherworldBob : 11th Jul 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Sims 2 (&3) Serial Key Printer BETA
Default Sims 2 Serial Key Printer
I've created a program that does the leg work of going into your registry and finding your serial keys for your Sims 2 games, including the expansion and stuff packs.

I made it to combat "Lost Manual Syndrome" and also for people that have had their manuals destroyed by coffee or small children looking for something to draw on.

It also has the ability to print off your serial numbers so you can keep all your numbers together in one place.

Don't worry, the program doesn't access the internet, so it won't be stealing your keys and sending them to web-pirates.

Also, you will need the Microsoft .NET Framework 2 to run it.
It will not work if you don't have that installed, instead you'll get an unfriendly error message.

Or if you really want, try Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
It is essentially .NET Framework 2 + 1.5! Vista comes with v3 of the Framework, but that download works for XP too.
My program doesn't use the extra features, but if you want to be future proof for when programs do need the later version of the Framework, you might want to consider getting v3.5, rather than v2.

Whichever version you go for, don't forget to visit Microsoft Update to download the appropriate patches/Service Packs for those Frameworks.

You can also download the program from my Sims 2 Website, which will sometimes be updated first.

For the program to work, the games need to be installed on your hard drive. If the game has been uninstalled, then the code has in all likelihood been removed from your hard drive. On rare occasions, the uninstaller doesn't remove the code for reasons unknown, so you may strike it lucky and the program may pick up the code anyway.

Hope you find this useful, constructive feedback is appreciated,
OtherworldBob

2009/07/11
Updates:With the release of Sims 3 and a little nudging, I present a Beta version of the program that with find both your Sims 2 and your Sims 3 serials.

If brave people willing to give a Beta program a go could give it a whirl, that'd be great.
I'd especially like to hear back from 64bit and Windows 7 users if there are any out there. (Windows 7 made my six year old technology cry!)

Enjoy!
Thank you.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S2KP.zip (51.9 KB, 1488 downloads) - View custom content
Description: [Release]v1.5.1 - Adds the ability to display known games that are not found - now you don't need to keep that old version around!
File Type: zip  SSKP-BETA.zip (57.0 KB, 892 downloads) - View custom content
Description: [BETA!]Finds and prints both your Sims 2 AND your Sims 3 serials - at lest, that's the idea.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 6:41 PM Last edited by simsample : 8th Sep 2006 at 8:45 PM.
This is a great idea- I'm going to try it out! Thankyou.

Edit: I've tested this, and it works brilliantly. It is a very useful little utility, well done!
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 9:37 PM
Simple and useful. Thank you. I've brought it to Judhudson's Sims programs website attention

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 10:37 PM
This is wonderful I've updated about it on our sister sites news/info blog here: http://www.sims2community.com/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 10:59 PM
Glad you like it, and thank you for the linkification.

I didn't know about that website Pixelhate, I shall keep my eyes open, see if it pops up.

If you get any errors or crashes with it, let me know, and I'll try and hunt them down.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 11:02 PM
this is fantastic, I seem to always misplace a case or 2
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 12:17 AM
That's wonderful! I'm sure many will find it very useful. I don't know what I would do if I were to lose my CDs, cases and manuals, especially since I tend to uninstall and reinstall quite often.
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 4:17 AM
this is great....but
What do you do if you lost your manual and had to do a destructive restore on your computer?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 4:37 AM
Not something I'll ever need, but glad to see someone has made it for people who really need it. Good job!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 9:35 PM
Oh thank goodness, I have moved at least three times since i've had sims2 and I just realized a few weeks ago that my jewel cases are gone. (I store all my CD's in a folder.) My game is fine now, but I was worried about having to reinstall.This will come in very handy, thank you!
Instructor
#11 Old 10th Sep 2006 at 5:29 PM
Thanks so much, I remember losing most of my sims2 downloads and when I needed to resinstall I had to go rebuy them (><).
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 10th Sep 2006 at 6:14 PM
Brilliant idea!So extremely useful ! I have never lost a serial yet but you never know ;-) Thanks for this ,very innovative :-)

You will find my older and newest creations here
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Sep 2006 at 12:53 AM
Thank you Pixelhate, it's now added
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Sep 2006 at 8:41 PM
And a thank you to you Judhudson, it's great to see my program getting around.

Rikachic512 I think your best bet is retrieving your serial key from EA
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?p=1322645

Thanks for all the positive feedback too.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 8:57 PM
Perfecto!!! I had this happen to me a few months ago... It was such a stressful time.

you should be awarded the noble peace prize or something. Believe me what you done is increible. careless simmers world wide will be thankful :D
Test Subject
#16 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 3:28 AM
Thank God!

There is a fine line between genius and insanity. And, I'm standing right on it!!!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 5:43 PM
Great idea and great program, should prove very usefull for people who have that "lost manual syndrome". :D
Test Subject
#18 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 8:23 AM
does this program need updating for pets? Its after Oct 20th and it doesn't list the pets serial key it just says "Due for release 20th Oct'"
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:25 PM
Good idea - though I have to admit, I'm probably twice as bad as anyone else when it comes to misplacing things - and even lazier about entering serials - so I type them up in barcode, print them out and tape them to the wall behind my monitor. Since I have a barcode reader, it's a simple matter of just point and click ;-)

And seeing as how often I un/reinstall or F&R, this method comes in REALLY useful - though I wouldn't reccomend running out and buying a barcode reader - they're unnecessarilly expensive. I got mine free when the place I'd worked closed down.

Pax,
Indigo
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BeetleJuice
does this program need updating for pets? Its after Oct 20th and it doesn't list the pets serial key it just says "Due for release 20th Oct'"

Yeah, I was wondering this too. My pets serial code has already been thrown away.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th Oct 2006 at 1:23 PM Last edited by OtherworldBob : 28th Oct 2006 at 1:50 PM. Reason: Reworded for clarity
I'll be uploading an updated version that picks up your Pets code in just a few moments.

I've also added a couple of extra line breaks on the print-out to make reading it a little easier.

A word of warning though, my real printer has died recently, so I haven't been able to test if it physically works, although the Print Preview shows it up, so it should work.

Anyway, give it 10 minutes, and everything should be updated.
Just download the new version, extract it, then use it as you did the old one.
Enjoy.

P.S. I'm loving that bar-code technique.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 9:53 PM
LOL Me too - barcode is the best

~I
Field Researcher
#23 Old 9th Nov 2006 at 12:12 AM
You. Are. A. LIFESAVER.
I can't begin to name how many cases I've lost. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Nov 2006 at 9:02 PM
Very interesting. Thank you, plenty! Works fine for me.
Test Subject
#25 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 4:26 AM
Default heyy
hey guys im BRAND NEW here im just wondering how does this work..because i just figured out my little sister lost my jewel case and everything and all i have is just the game disk 1...so all i need is the key gen or w/e it is on the back....so i downloaded your program but wen it opened up i put in the sims 2 disk and it didnt find anything it just said that not found or i do not have it?? am i doing something wrong?? ill appreciate any help thanks guys!!
Page 1 of 9