Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 7:06 PM
Default Script modding - Help needed to recompile to DLL
I am currently trying to learn simple scripting in an autodidactic way. I can read third party code if it is not too difficult and I can adapt it to my needs writing minor changes into it. But I cannot yet concept complete scripts of my own and my terminology is not yet very firm, especially as I am not a native english speaker. So please excuse if some of my formulations may sound strange to one experienced in scripting matters.

I love the Sims 3, there are many good scripting tutorials available and many modders have been so nice as to explain some of their example scripts which is very helpful for beginners like me. So I have started to try to adapt third party scripted mods to fit into my own gaming style.

My actual problem is:
I have exported the DLL from third party mods and decompiled them using DotPeek. I have written the changes to the script either using Notepad++ or directly in Visual Studio 2017. But now I cannot recompile to DLL anymore as VS cannot work with "nude" libraries - it needs an executive.

I do not yet understand enough as to know how to refer to an executive from VS and in the tutorials this step is not mentioned at all - they just say "save as DLL" and that is all the information there is.
Doing a search with Goggle either tells me to save as .exe - which is useless for my mod - or write an own executive which I cannot do yet, or to leave my fingers from a DLL if I do not understand it - the last being the least helpful advice for someone in a learning stage.

So please could someone explain to me in a simple way what I have to do to get the changed scripts - now in the project stage as csproj, sln, pdb plus cs files- get recompiled into a DLL with Visual Studio or another free program so that they can be imported back into the mod with S3PE?
Currently I cannot even test if my rescripts work as I am stuck at that point.

One flap of a butterfly´s wing could change the course of weather forever (chaos theory)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 8:06 PM
I have not used Visual Studio in a while because I switched to another IDE, but I think the option in the menu is called build solution.
You need the game dlls as reference I downloaded them from the NRAAS project some time ago. I think this is it: https://github.com/Chain-Reaction/N.../Sims3/Compiler
Because Mods overwrite some methods from the game the compiler will complain if those methods are set to private, so in the Nraas dlls all of them are changed to public. The game does not care and the IDE stops complaining and compiles.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 12:41 PM Last edited by Nadira : 6th Jul 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Thanks for the quick answer I will look into the the NRAAS Compiler.

Still leaves me with the problem that "build solution" does not work for DLL as VS tells me I need an executable otherwise it cannot do it (confirmed: that is generally the case with VS - it does not process libraries).
I do not quite understand the logic behind offering new projects that are libraries as well the option to import/open existing library projects but then not allow to compile them. What does it matter to a compiler how I will execute the blank DLL I created?

May I just ask what IDE you are currently using?

One flap of a butterfly´s wing could change the course of weather forever (chaos theory)
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 1:41 PM
I couldn't make it work with VS 2017 either. You need VS 2010 or earlier.
https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloa...older-downloads
You have to set it up
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Getting_Started

Sims are better than us.
Space Pony
#5 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 2:22 PM Last edited by Battery : 6th Jul 2018 at 2:35 PM.
Hi Nadira,
welcome to the world of script modding.
If you dont like visual studio you could also try out SharpDevelop (its freeware and you dont need to register)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sh...logne&download=
As for the nraas dll's these arent compilers but rather references for your project i dont know why they are filed under compilers. also they are more or less optional.
You can follow the getting started link from Emmet Brown. Dont forget to select dll as your build target.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:46 AM
Thanks for the very helpful Information and for the welcome

I´ll get rid of VS 2017 (don´t need it for anything else and it´s taking up a lot of space) and give SharpDevelop a try!

I would love to get better with scripting and hopefully finally end up with my first self concepted and working mod script and it is so ennervating to get stuck just with the tools not working

Space Pony
#7 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nadira
Thanks for the very helpful Information and for the welcome

I´ll get rid of VS 2017 (don´t need it for anything else and it´s taking up a lot of space) and give SharpDevelop a try!

I would love to get better with scripting and hopefully finally end up with my first self concepted and working mod script and it is so ennervating to get stuck just with the tools not working

Agreed its a real pain when tools denie theirservice. The recent windows update bricked my ide so im now using sharp develope myself, if you need help e.g setting it up, i would be glad to help