Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:45 PM
Default General modding rule #1!! BACK UP!
Hello everyone. I have been reading some threads the last few days, and I've seen that a few people have had some strange problems when they have been editing stuff with DatGen. DatGen is a BETA program, and as such, its tools are not perfect. The last couple weeks I have been working on finalizing a lot of the loose ends (plugins not finished, features in DatGen not finished, etc), so that I can make some official, stable v1.0 releases of some of the plugins.

Until these finalized versions are released, and until DatGen itself reaches v1.0, there is one rule that everyone should follow. This rule doesn't just apply to DatGen, it applies when using any tool, like SimPE or TS2Enhancer, etc.

General Modding Rule #1
Before you do any kind of editing with any tool, for whatever reason, BACK UP YOUR FILES. Keep lots of backups, keep them well organized, and keep them well labeled.

Beta tools will have bugs. Usually, by the time a tool is released to the public, most bugs will be gone. Some bugs, however, will hide until someone does something a certain way with certain files. Modding in general is never a certainty, as well. Most of the tools that are written are written based on information we have been able to deduce by cracking file formats, messing around with data, and finding relationships between files. If you start editing files with tools like DatGen, you have to accept that there is a margine of risk involved, regardless of how well the tool is written, or whether its beta or not.

There are a couple bugs with HairToner and with SkinFixer that can cause some weird problems after converting, so I recommend that a) you hold off on using these plugins until the next release, or b) make absolutely certain that you back up your files before editing them.