Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:12 PM
Default Installation of world files during testing causing problems.
I keep getting told the world is ALREADY INSTALLED.

Is this because the name is the same? Not the description name, which shows up on the sims3pack and in-game, but the file name? Or is it something else? Because the world is NOT installed.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:15 PM
I have to change the name. While in CAW, I change the name and description (sometimes the pictures so I can find it easily in the launcher) and then "save as" and rename the world file. Then it seems to work. Otherwise, I have a tough time getting it to install correctly.
Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:33 PM
It looks like the old one, a COMPLETELY Different name(both names), was still installed and somehow blocking installation.

It must look at more than the name. I have no idea. But I have to delete any version from the downloads foler and make sure they are all uninstalled...
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:48 PM
I tell ya...That launcher is just a mess. Sometimes a house will install for me, sometimes it won't. I can do the same house a second time and it installs fine. Same with the world files..sometimes they work, sometimes they don't install. I would do what Carlos said and just install your old game. Also, you might have to physically delete it from the world cache folder.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 9:02 PM
I know that.

World A
World B

Same world, different saves, saved under different names, with different description naemes.

But World B wont install as long as world A is installed, despite them having
-Different filenames
-Different actual names
-Different content
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 9:07 PM
No freaking way! I never would have thought of that!

The problem is that I should not *have* to. They are different files with completely different names.
Banned
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 9:23 PM
That's also completely untrue, as that would mean that all worlds would cause this issue, which they do not. Being helpful is nice, but not at all when you don't have any idea what you are talking about.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 12:23 AM
They do not have the same name if you correctly changed the name, saved in CAW with a different world file name and THEN exported. If you just change the name and then export you will definitely have a problem. Of course, the launcher is so fickle that you may have difficulties no matter what you do.
Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 9:02 PM
If you want to install another world based on the same CAW save, you can't do it using the launcher. Instead, extract the .package from the exported sims3pack, rename it worldname.world, and move the .world file into Program Files/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Gamedata/Shared/Nonpackaged/Worlds. Then it should show up when you play the game.
Banned
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 9:12 PM
Extract the package and name it .world? That's interesting.

I'll try and test that with a non-working file in hopes of getting lucky and it working in-game :p
Theorist
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 5:20 PM
Could you expand on this? I'm having the same issue

How do you extract the packages from the S3P?

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 6:44 PM
same problem here, I created a world using the Riverview_Lite template & totally re did the entire town & now (complete with a different name & lots) the launcher says that it is already installed, but when looking in the Installed Content tab of the launcher it doesn't show up. it is very disheartening that I spent a couple of weeks reworking the world, & can't use it, so if there is a way that I can get it installed (without deleting Riverview) please let me know... I tried the renaming to .world in program files, but that was a wash as I got a critical error when trying it. working on a brand new terrain right now to see if that will work for me, but as of right now I am stuck.
Theorist
#17 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 11:59 PM
I got the same error when I tried the .world thing

Hi I'm Paul!