Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 8:40 PM
Default Mountain lake?
Is it so, that every lake is in same level with sea?

How to make a mountain lake without making a huge crater in hill?

My daughter is making a lovely world with mountains and waterfalls. So, there should be a lake at the top of the world, from where the waters are coming down. Now there is only a flat black painted (mud) area.
(We did not find any water blue terrain paint anywhere)

In China there is rivers in two levels. How to make them?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 9:36 PM
I haven't found a way to do this other than a deep crater. You could make a lot there of the largest size and add a lake to the lot. Unfortunately, EA confused sea level with water table level. I guess they have forgotten that rivers flow from higher to lower elevations and are not all at one level.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 10:57 PM
Yup that's what I read ^^

I haven't tried this myself, but I read recently that you have to create a lot and create a lake on that lot... so it looks like there's a lake up there.

~ Nyn ~
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:15 AM
There are a few river water pieces that you can use to make rivers above water level. They have directional flow.

I did something like what you're talking about by putting a lot at the top of the mountain, making a lake on the lot, adding a waterfall from there, then a section of river using the river water piece, then another waterfall and so on. You need rocks and/or vegetation at the transitions between pond/river/waterfall/ocean to make it look natural, because the water is quite different. This doesn't show the lake, which I added later, but it shows the river pieces and waterfalls: http://www.modyourpanties.com/image...5-waterfall.jpg

As for terrain paint, there's an aqua one that came with WA, but it's not meant to replace water... it goes under water for that very blue look around the edges.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 5:10 AM
Thank you all. I suggest this lot solution to her.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 9:03 PM
That is so pretty, Srikandi!
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 8:14 PM Last edited by Jacen000Solo : 29th Jan 2010 at 6:48 AM.
Srikandi can you fish in many-leveled river?
Test Subject
#8 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 10:28 AM
How do you make waterfalls.? /cry
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:58 PM
Hey guys, I've read the suggestions on how to make a waterfall (Srikandi's link is broken, I cant see it) but I need advice on the part where the "lake" and the waterfall object meet. I tried and ended up having a spike of land instead of a smoother looking slope of water I was hoping.

The land spiked and abruptly stopped being water because its the border of the lake-lot already. I've tried extending the lot further down the waterfall by deleting the lot and making a new larger lot, but when I do that, the lake surface adjusts to the lowest level of your lot accordingly. Or so it seems to my newbie eyes. You'd need to dig a deeper lake to produce the water surface, effectively lowering the lake (and the waterfall's) height.

If I sculpt it using valley-gentle, it looks more broken and ugly because the lake inside the lot will stay the same and they will still be no smooth transition between them. The land outside will be lower than the lake and there is a hole there between them.

So this is what I have right now, I have no idea what to do. Any pointers? Look at my mouse cursor on the pic. Thats the problem spot.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 5:21 AM
I would put rocks along the transition, smaller ones and sink them into the water a bit but let them stick out just a little. I have found that you can place rocks along the lot boarder and have them extend into the lot a small amount.
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 9:41 PM
Yup, that was my temporary solution. I've put a single tall rock on the middle of the waterfall's source, it looks good from afar but when you get close, on some angles the "spiky" ground is still obvious. Is there any more suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe the right terrain paint can solve the problem of illusion? Already tried martine's megapack, the frozen pond and sand underwater but it was too bright for the default water.