Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 4:08 AM
Photoshop CS4... and me...?
I recently became the proud parent of photoshop CS4. It's pretty. I am a graphic designer and I have generally have a very 2D way of going about things, but I was just thinking that I play sims so much and enjoy all the awesome stuffs that people make, and hey here comes sims 3 and hey here comes pscs4 which has all these cool 3D features I dont use, and hey maybe I could be one of the cool people making cool stuff.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice / pointers about sims 3 and photoshop and what (if anything) I might be capeable of actually doing. I would appriciate it so much. Thank you!
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 4:54 AM Last edited by daluved1 : 30th Jun 2009 at 5:04 AM.
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Modding

Here's a list of tutorials for the various programs floating out there.

Also check out TSR, they have some good workshops there too.

EDIT: Photoshop has endless possibilities. A lot of creators use it.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:30 AM
thank you! i will investigate...
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 1:52 AM
Very quick brain dump:

Once you grab the DDS plugin for Photoshop, you can load textures. In the case of patterns and masks, you'll need to think of the channels in the way you're used to thinking of layers: With the red channel on the bottom and the alpha channel on top. In the case of specular, ambient, and multiplying textures, the RGB channels are usually close to the same (sometimes a little different due to compression), while the alpha channel is actually used for what is intended.

Probably the best starting point is to start with Delphi's pattern tool (or TSR Workshop if you prefer) and build some patterns, to get an idea of how the compositing of the channels works. Getting into clothing retexturing following the tutorials would be a good next step.

CS4 Extended has some 3D tools, and it might be feasible to use them if you use Postal to export a mesh as an obj, but I haven't bothered: its pretty easy to figure out how the 2D texture translates onto the 3D model, especially if you keep the full body texture around as reference.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 3:32 PM
Thanks!

Im sort of just jumping in the deep end with this, im sure the results will be... at least amusing at first. DDS plugin? I am assuming this is something I can get here? I'll go look...
Mother Function
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:30 PM
You won't find them here deary Search for the plugins on google. Something like "photoshop cs4 dds plugin" is a good search.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"