Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 5:08 AM
Default Beth Ditto
I wasn't sure whether to put this in Media Center or here, so feel free to move it if it's in the wrong category.

Has anyone ever heard of Beth Ditto? She's a model born 1981 in Arkansas, notorious for being about 5'2" (157 centimeters) and claims to be around 220 lbs (99 kilograms).

This is her with short hair (Google had more photos, but they're inappropriate to put here):

She's been under fire for being so big, but others say she's realistic.

Thoughts? Comments?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 5:21 AM
Never heard of her. ::googles::

It takes a lot of courage to get on stage in an outfit like that when you're that big. And whether they think it's right or wrong, it really is realistic. And criticizing her because she's overweight is stupid. People do all sorts of unhealthy things besides smoking and being fat (the two that are looked down upon the most). Even if she is unhealthy, she's obviously having fun with her life, which is more than a lot of people can say.

So I say, more power to her.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 7:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
I have never heard of her either but there are plus size models here in Canada. Well at least she isn't anorexic.

I think I would be more concerned about some one being anorexic if any thing. There are people who are built stocky and it's in their genes.

Well if you like the Beth Ditto look it looks like this makeup artist has taken that on to demonstrate. I like to watch you tube videos on makeup artistry.

Beth Ditto - Soft & Girly Makeup Look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0CVxq7veFY

Is this the same Beth Ditto or a different one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_Ditto

I think this is Beth Ditto here and it looks like the same girl in the wiki dictionary too.
http://ca.askmen.com/celebs/women/s...beth_ditto.html

Oh my and I found this too and I am quite surprised she brought that up in this article.

Beth Ditto fears hell
http://ca.askmen.com/celebs/enterta...fears-hell.html

Well she seems to be all over you tube apparently and she's against bullying.

Beth Ditto talks about bullying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGGZNJR4Q0o

THE GOSSIP - HEAVY CROSS [FULL LENGTH HQ] + LYRICS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtFJQEdswo

There's only one Beth Ditto currently in the industry.
Yeah, it's her.
Alchemist
#6 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 8:18 AM
actually, while i was doing my modeling kick, i discovered that theres MANY different types of people who model.

plus sizes, petites, tall & slender, athletic/muscular... all sorts. all of them have a " niche " in the modeling world. the DOWNSIDE is, once people decide you should dress/wear makeup a certain way, according to your facial structure and body type...its hell in a handbasket trying to expand to other categories.

i for one have the tall/slender model figure, so i was put in high fashion. nevermind that i thought it looked ridiculous--i like gothic/punk style clothing & makeup. but people LOVE stereotypes in the industry, so i pretty much had to play their game, or go without business.

i figure she also has a great personality. thats about 80% of modeling, from my experience. you typically go out and socialize with whomever youre going to be modeling for, next, sort of like a taste test, to see if you get along and want to work together. its pretty stressful after a while, having to impress people given a short time.

(; kudos to her, though. i really like her hair... and she seems to emanate confidence. [ confidence is a big part, too. ]
though i dont go for big people [ and i have a weight complex, haa... no im not anorexic, but i was once, and now im scared of both being overweight AND being underweight x_X! ], i wish her the best of luck and hope she succeeds if its what she loves to do.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
actually, while i was doing my modeling kick, i discovered that theres MANY different types of people who model.

plus sizes, petites, tall & slender, athletic/muscular... all sorts. all of them have a " niche " in the modeling world. the DOWNSIDE is, once people decide you should dress/wear makeup a certain way, according to your facial structure and body type...its hell in a handbasket trying to expand to other categories.

i for one have the tall/slender model figure, so i was put in high fashion. nevermind that i thought it looked ridiculous--i like gothic/punk style clothing & makeup. but people LOVE stereotypes in the industry, so i pretty much had to play their game, or go without business.

i figure she also has a great personality. thats about 80% of modeling, from my experience. you typically go out and socialize with whomever youre going to be modeling for, next, sort of like a taste test, to see if you get along and want to work together. its pretty stressful after a while, having to impress people given a short time.

(; kudos to her, though. i really like her hair... and she seems to emanate confidence. [ confidence is a big part, too. ]
though i dont go for big people [ and i have a weight complex, haa... no im not anorexic, but i was once, and now im scared of both being overweight AND being underweight x_X! ], i wish her the best of luck and hope she succeeds if its what she loves to do.

I've never actually seen Beth Ditto in Prada or Hermes. She always wears the alternative "goth" clothes; whether this is her choice or not, I'm not sure, but it does fit her.
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 6:31 PM
I personally don't like her or her music, but that's just my opinion. It has nothing to do with her weight, she's just skanky.

She also has a clothing line coming out.

http://www.glamour.com/fashion/blog...thing-line.html

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 7:45 PM
She's realistic, yeah. There are more and more obese people and that's the reality. Being overweight isn't the only way of being rebellious against certain industries that expect us to be skinny. What happened to the Marilyn Monroe type of figure?

And yes, being skinny isn't healthy, but neither is being overweight.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 8:04 PM
Oh, she's the singer of The Gossip? They're all right.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
I wonder how many people are going to want to buy her clothing line? Some of it I find too loud in prints for my liking.

I hate to be mean, but I can't fit into those. She aims at size 10/12+. I'm only a 6 to 8, I believe. I wouldn't wear it anyhow, it is too loud.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
She's been under fire for being so big, but others say she's realistic.

Thoughts? Comments?

She's a singer so her weight is irrelevant.

I've only seen a few pics of her but I think she looks much better without clothes than in clothes!
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
She's a singer so her weight is irrelevant.

I've only seen a few pics of her but I think she looks much better without clothes than in clothes!

She is a singer, but also works as a plus size model.
Scholar
#16 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 11:39 AM
There is being 'real' and there is being classy. Beth is definitely not classy. You don't need to get naked to get people to listen to weight issues and weight bias. Seriously, I just don't get it. I'm not small by any means, but I know not to go naked or wear crazy tight, loud patterned clothing. She needs to learn the meaning of 'tasteful'.

Yeah, I want my kids to have her as a role model....

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 11:53 AM
Yeah, she always takes... distasteful pictures. Unfortunately, there's no more good role models in Hollywood now.

Is she even wearing undies in the third one?
Banned
#18 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 2:36 PM
Love Beth Ditto, I think she's hilarious.

Someone should make a sim of her (Not a request)
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 2:54 PM

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane. - Anymonuse
Instructor
#20 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starved4pizza

-snip-

Someone should make a sim of her (Not a request)

Not requesting either but ... yeah, someone definitely should!

Why haven't we had any/many model or celebrity sims who make use of the larger side of the weight slider in sims 3? Beth Ditto and her crazy fashion would truly be amazing. :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:49 AM
Good for her, courage, standing up, etc.

Otherwise I don't really care. Modeling is insanely stupid.
Test Subject
#23 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 2:33 AM
I know this thread is old but I fond the discussion interesting and Miss Ditto as well. As for the comments about her posing nude as inappropriate - as an artist I feel that I must stand up for nude models. Just because someone poses nude doesn't mean they have no class. Yeah, sometimes her public photos are inappropriate, but i find that if you look at her professional photos, such as the magazine cover are all beautiful and artistic, definitely formal and with class - from an artistic standpoint. There is nothing wrong with posing nude - it too, is a a nobel profession giving to art and photography the study of the beauty of the colors, form, proportions and composition of the human figure. I applaud Beth for her professional work. She may not be he best "role model", but she is definitely good at what she does professionally.
Inventor
#24 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 5:06 AM
Old thread is old. But since it's been awakened - I'll chime in. I love Beth Ditto. I think she's gorgeous and talented and far more outrageous than I could ever be - what with that whole trying to blend into the wallpaper thing I have going on - but I love her for being so damn outrageous. She isn't afraid to make her presence known.

kittens!
Inventor
#25 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 10:07 AM
In that red dress she looks like Katy Perry with some extra weight.. Haha. Anyway, I think she looks hideous on some of the pictures. It's as unhealthy to show a overweight body as showing a skinny one posing like that. Yeah, it's realistic, but I still don't get the point. I've heard loads of good singers that's not skinny... still they wont have to be half naked in magazine to get the attention they want.
Page 1 of 2