Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 9:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Q&A for "Issues with 1.3x Superpatcher" wiki FAQ
Questions and Answers thread for Game Help:Issues with 1.3x Superpatcherwiki.
Please keep posts on this topic. No discussions or questions on CC or if this mod or that mod works, how to patch, or where is the patch.

If you're having issues following the FAQ, please state what patch version you're now on and how you reach this version? From what earlier patch version and was it patched via Launcher, the Patch Downloader or manual update?
Please be as concise and as informative as possible. No "it doesn't work!" or "it won't patch" sorta of questions. If I have to ask what "it" is, I'll be coming into your house and sic my Prince of a kitty on you! And he hates strangers!

This is also NOT a "Bug" thread! This is strictly a thread to help with the procedure I outlined in the article linked above.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 11:45 AM
Ah, this is a big mess- thanks for the additional info about patching from 1.32.

It seems I'll need to reinstall, since I patched to 1.31 with the superpatcher.
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 11:51 AM
Is there any recourse for those of us who fell victim to the defective update and don't have access to our install discs to do a clean reinstall, or am I stuck until I get my stuff out of storage?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:00 PM
Have you made a backup of your Program Files before the update? As well as a snapshot of your Registry before updating? For you to revert to?
If no to both, then yes stuck.
With the rate EA release patches and the need to reinstall, why are the discs even in Storage?
Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Have you made a backup of your Program Files before the update? As well as a snapshot of your Registry before updating?

What really sucks is that I had this tingling in my spine that told me to do so, and I ignored it. I guess I'm screwed.

why are the discs even in Storage?

The eyeroll isn't necessary. As I mentioned in the previous thread, most of my stuff is in storage because my house is still being cleaned up after two natural disasters one month apart. FEMA, visits from the governor and president, Boy Scouts and Red Cross handing out food and water kinds of disasters. It's hard to keep all of your entertainment stuff in order with all of this going on. I'm lucky they didn't float away in the flood and my computer still works after finding it submerged.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, trapcat- it looks like your best bet is to wait until you can get your discs.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 1:54 PM
Ok I am very confused by all this. I am on game patch 1.32.3.015001. Showtime is installed 1.2.0.0273.015001. I have all the games for TS3 so far. They were all patched using the Launcher.
In the TS3 collections file I have only 16 of the 17 files that are supposed to be there. The ST collection file does not show in the game. I did not update to 1.32 until after the first 1.32 patch was pulled. Is it the 1.32 that caused the collection file to be missing? Also as far as I can tell I have none of the strange sliders or any other problem. So I don't know what to do. Is the Launcher broken to patch to 1.33 still? I have never used anything else and am just not clear what my next step should be even though I have read the report on this. Not even sure how the Super Patcher works. So if someone could help it would be wonderful.
Inventor
#8 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 2:02 PM Last edited by crinrict : 16th Mar 2012 at 3:08 PM.
Here is my blog post about the issue: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2012/0...-the-issue.html.

Any info and corrections are welcome.

@ella: What category are those that used incremental patch 1.29 to 1.32 ? Do they have the folders or not ? Is this this group: People who have not updated up to 1.31 and patched directly to 1.32 with the superpatcher or was there an incremental patch that does not have the issue ?

What about the collections folder in documents ? Will it be recreated if you uninstall and remove the user files ? What happens if you create it yourself, can the game still read them if the folders in programs is not created ?
Scholar
#9 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 3:36 PM
Quoted from other thread....

Quote:
You're fine if you had used the 1.31 incremental, instead of the 1.31 SuperPatcher before. The 1.33 SuperPatcher does not add a Collections folder, but if you already had it with 1.31, then there's no issue for you there.

Ok this makes since then...i just checked my patch stash...and i did indead
get the 1.31 incremental.....
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:08 PM
Something I've always wondered about, if you do a reinstall of the base game, do you need to patch to all the previous patches as well?
Inventor
#11 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:27 PM
No, the previous ones are included.

EDIT: Another question ella. It seems coll_0x0b32004610a7a350.package is the file for SHT. Could one simply add that file to their documents and that other folder ? What would be the consequence if you only put it in documents ?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by trapcat
The eyeroll isn't necessary. As I mentioned in the previous thread, most of my stuff is in storage because my house is still being cleaned up after two natural disasters one month apart.
Well, I don't read any poster's past postings to get their posting history (unless I need to verify if they warrant a warning for some infarction or other), nor do I remember each member's posts on here. But I can and will apologize for jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. So, for that, I'm sorry.

Quote: Originally posted by katiejesse8
...They were all patched using the Launcher.
In the TS3 collections file I have only 16 of the 17 files that are supposed to be there. The ST collection file does not show in the game. I did not update to 1.32 until after the first 1.32 patch was pulled. Is it the 1.32 that caused the collection file to be missing...
The only pulled 1.32 patch is the 1.32 Superpatcher. The 1.32 Incremental is still on the server.
How did you reach 1.32, from 1.29 or 1.31 or any older version? It is more the "not using the incremental patch" if you had skip any updates in between, rather than using the 1.32 via Launcher actually, that poses the problem.

Quote: Originally posted by crinrict
Here is my blog post about the issue: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2012/0...-the-issue.html.

Any info and corrections are welcome.
It's Good! A good explanation and another take from a different angle. Some of the phrases didn't get translated, and some typos that I noticed.

@ella: What category are those that used incremental patch 1.29 to 1.32 ? Do they have the folders or not ? Is this this group: People who have not updated up to 1.31 and patched directly to 1.32 with the superpatcher or was there an incremental patch that does not have the issue ?
This round, the Incrementals are the good guys and all Superpatchers are the bad guys.
  • The 1.32_from_1.29 folks would have the Showtime Collections icon.
  • The 1.32 Superpatch folks - No Showtime Collections icon.

What about the collections folder in documents ? Will it be recreated if you uninstall and remove the user files ? What happens if you create it yourself, can the game still read them if the folders in programs is not created ?
Yes, that's why I asked to check in Program Files instead of Documents in the wiki. The user's Collections folder would be too varied to compare against if they all have their own user-made or downloaded Collections.
The Collections folder behaves just like the Custom Music folder - they would get re-created upon a user folder rename/reset. User-created collections would be treated just so - as user-created collections - versus game defaults (those in Program Files).

The recommended Patching as documented in the Patching wiki since forever
After the game defaults are confirm OK, then and only then standard practice is to copy user data like CC and user-made collections and other confirmed updated CC over bit-by-bit, or simply rename it back (more dangerous if they forgot to update one single incompatible CC).

My style: I have a few folders, all under the EA parent, inclusive of multiple CAW folders with cc or cc-free as below. And then when I patch, I just rename this whole EA parent folder.
  • 100% cc-free for post-patch testing and mods probationary testing
  • minimal cc with those unchanged items like no-intro for ingame-bug testing, verifying etc
  • regularly maintained and updated folder with all the works for my regular gameplay
  • project-specific folder for specific scenarios for building or modding stuff
I'm sure each player has cultivated their own style, mine is in no way unique.

The practice of moving/renaming the EA/TS3 user folder is so that the initial game load after a patch or EP installation always create this fresh and the game loads on a clean slate.
I can't remember the number of times I started the game on auto-pilot right after the patch completes (darn muscle memory!), and because I had done the rename beforehand, always startled me at first when my game started full screen and on low resolution. If everyone cultivates this habit, there won't be an issue of a game with incompatible cc after patching - ever!
Well..I guess I can dream.

Quote: Originally posted by claudiasharon
Something I've always wondered about, if you do a reinstall of the base game, do you need to patch to all the previous patches as well?
By right the Superpatchers takes care of this scenario. Which is why they come up with the Superpatchers method in the first place. But, by left, nothing is ever as it's planned.

Could one simply add that file to their documents and that other folder ? What would be the consequence if you only put it in documents ?
Sure, you can. No difference. If one has backups in the first place.
But that would be like allowing EA to escape doing the proper thing again, doesn't it? We seem to give them a lot of leeway when we keep thinking "no problem, the Sims Community would figure out a fix".

I don't want to reinstall and have to repatch with 3 separate steps forever, if I don't have to. That is after all why they glomped all the fixes into one super big file - they get tired of the questions on "what version do I use if I have this version" and all the "Invalid File Error" threads.
Inventor
#13 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:15 PM
I guess I need to re-read my post for those untranslated bits then. Typos, I probably won't see those (I'm good at not seeing).

Patches: Why are the incremental patches to 1.32 not provided then ? Cause we should not patch to 1.32 ? It says they are bad on the patching wiki page. The same goes for the 1.29 to 1.33 (if there is such a thing) incremental patch. It would be one less patching step.

As for copying the files: Yes, EA needs to fix it but it would be a solution for those that don't wan to reinstall. Would one need to put the folders in programs or documents or both ? Also Why do I have the files (16) in both folders but yet they do not show up in my game at all ?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:27 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by katiejesse8

...They were all patched using the Launcher.
In the TS3 collections file I have only 16 of the 17 files that are supposed to be there. The ST collection file does not show in the game. I did not update to 1.32 until after the first 1.32 patch was pulled. Is it the 1.32 that caused the collection file to be missing...

The only pulled 1.32 patch is the 1.32 Superpatcher. The 1.32 Incremental is still on the server.
How did you reach 1.32, from 1.29 or 1.31 or any older version? It is more the "not using the incremental patch" if you had skip any updates in between, rather than using the 1.32 via Launcher actually, that poses the problem.

I was on Master Suite Stuff and the 1.29 patch. I got Showtime and when I went to install it I was asked if I wanted to check to see if I needed an update. I said yes and it updated. After installing ST I went to the version files (as well as checked the launcher) and they both listed patch 1.31. (Oh and by the time I installed ST Patch 1.32 had been out and the problems were known so I waited until I heard I could update to 1.32) I had the Launcher update to 1.32 as for me the Launcher is simpler to understand. Now we have 1.33 and I am not sure how to get it.

However, Shimrod uploaded his ST collection files to his site "Gnauty Lil Gnomes and I downloaded and installed them into the proper files. Now all the ST collections show up in my game. Anyhow i have always used the Launcher but I am not sure if to update to 1.33 I should use the Launcher or the incrimental patch. Also do I have to uninstall the base game to do so? I do not have any of the sliders, skin colors that are problems. The build files are OK. I just don't want to go ahead with patching to 1.33 until I know exactly how I should do it. I seem to not find any category where my situation fits enough to not make me doubt which method I should use.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:32 PM
That's why writers have editors - need another pair of eyes. I'm guilty of that too.

I didn't want the 1.31 to be skipped, essentially. While on the other hand, I do want 1.32 to be skipped.
And with 1.33 available to bypass 1.32, there's no longer any need for a 1.32_From_1.31? Plus, with EA not even providing 1.33_from_1.32, landing folks on 1.32 would give them a no-update-path by any incrementals method, they would have to use a Superpatch for what is essentially a 120-200MB update vs a 950MB update.
I'm trying to reduce steps upon reinstallation and the number of files to download, with the minimum number of steps as possible.

Did I explain that right? If it is wrong...Wait, I'm too close to this, I probably need to step back and rethink - it's all too jumbled up now.

You don't have the 16 Collections icons, @crin? In-game I mean? Even after a folder rename/reset?

Yes, @katiejesse8. I did comment on NRaas that copying is a quick stopgap. It would work, never said it wouldn't. But a long-term fix is still needed.
If you have a downloaded Collections folder that work, then just let Launcher update the game to 1.33. No need to uninstall & reinstall, in this case.

The whole point of a long-term solution is so that when I point folks to the Uninstall guide, I don't have to add,
"You need to patch to 1.29 with superpatcher, then to 1.31 and then to 1.xx and then download a Collections zip file from so-n-so."
Wouldn't that be tedious?
Inventor
#16 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:49 PM
I have 16 files but not one them is in the game. have not recreated the folder though, Will try that.

You got most of my question right. The only additional one was: Is there a 1.29 to 1.33 incremental one which would reduce the process by 1 step (1.29 super patcher, then 1.33 incremental.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:59 PM
1.33_from_1.29 : no collection file for Showtime either. That's why I wanted the 1.31 to not be skipped.

You think I should add an image showing this?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by trapcat
Is there any recourse for those of us who fell victim to the defective update and don't have access to our install discs to do a clean reinstall, or am I stuck until I get my stuff out of storage?

If your games are registered, you should be able to install them digitally, through Origin, without any discs.
Inventor
#19 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:20 PM Last edited by crinrict : 16th Mar 2012 at 7:44 PM.
1.33_from_1.29 : no collection file for Showtime either. That's why I wanted the 1.31 to not be skipped.

You think I should add an image showing this?

Got it. Thanks.

EDIT: Folder got recreated - files are there but still nothing in the game. Will try a new game as well.
EDIT2: No, new game doesn't work either. Wonder if it has something to do with me uninstalling pets only ?
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:42 PM
ellacharmed3d said:

Yes, @katiejesse8. I did comment on NRaas that copying is a quick stopgap. It would work, never said it wouldn't. But a long-term fix is still needed.
If you have a downloaded Collections folder that work, then just let Launcher update the game to 1.33. No need to uninstall & reinstall, in this case.

ellacharmed3d,

I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems other than my missing collection files. Still it is nice to have those now.
So I will wait a bit and then make my TS3 a BU file so the game creates a new one and patch up to 1.33 and pray that it works! Thank you for your help.
Scholar
#21 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 3:08 AM Last edited by Jasumi : 17th Mar 2012 at 6:48 AM.
The Launcher appears to be broken after upgrading to 1.33.

I updated the "hard way" (ie. reinstalling the base game and using the super-patcher to 1.29, and then incremental patches 1.31 and 1.33).

The launcher worked perfectly fine on 1.31, but now it won't even start.

Oh, and I have all the collection files, and my deltapackages are correct.

UPDATE

So the launcher did finally load after a few failed attempts. Patch seems safe other than that...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 12:45 PM
I'm a bit confused with all these patches.

I'm still at 1.29, without Showtime. I'm planning to get ST soon, so my question is: should I use the incremental patch to 1.31 before or after installing ST?

Thanks
Inventor
#23 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 2:04 PM
Yes. Install incremental to 1.31 first, then you can patch through whatever means to 1.33
Test Subject
#24 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 3:59 PM
nothing happened
I downloaded this patch,hoping it will solve the problem where my sims arent able to perform on stage..i installed it,and it improved NOTHING.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 4:01 PM
@Jasumi, Launcher not working or going wonky after patching is a common after effects of patching, so much so that I've listed it in the Game Help:TS3_Patching:Common Errorswiki page of the Patching wiki pages.

And that is not a consequence of following the guide as pertaining to this SuperPatch wiki article. So if you still need help (beyond what the Launcher & EADM wiki guides have suggested to try), and since I have not archived your Help thread, please continue to post in your Help thread for questions or issues not related to or caused by following the steps of this guide.
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharm3d Reason: resolved-use 1.34
Page 1 of 2