Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#301 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 2:19 PM
I've just started learning to mesh, and to alter BHAVs to make objects do what I want. This tutorial is very good! But my object is not working properly.

I've made a new object from the Kozy Kitsch Gnome, because I wanted my object to be kickable. I've altered the BHAVs according to your tutorial to change the comfort and fun motives. I wanted comfort to drop, so I made it -20. Fun is set to 100 as in the tute.

My menu option appears properly with the View and Kick options. The motive changes seem to be the same as the gnome's though, rather than my altered version. Should I have removed the gnome ones?

The new menu choice is also appearing with the 'Stand up" option after the object is kicked over. The new option drops from the queue at that point. Worse, if I direct my sim to stand it up, the object disappears entirely.

I also find that the object is now only placeable, movable and deletable using MoveObjects. What did I mess up? The un-modded object was placeable normally.

Perhaps the problem is that I based the changes off the Kick interaction rather than the view interaction. I can try again with that in mind.

Hope someone can advise. I'm hoping to do a lot more with this object yet! Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#302 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 2:38 PM
aelflaed, could you post your object? You've described quite a varied set of symptoms there, so it's a bit hard to diagnose straight off. A couple of things to double check, make sure your BHAVs all have unique iinstance IDs (no duplicates!) and that the pie menu functions are pointing to your modified code and not to the originals.
Alchemist
#303 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 10:43 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 13th Aug 2009 at 1:45 AM. Reason: attachment deleted, no longer needed.
Oh, I don't think I renumbered all the BHAVs - only the first one. That will be part of the problem.

I'll post it as it is now, hope to be back home this morning to check those things you've mentioned. Thanks.

There was only one BHAV, but two packages. I was altering/loading the wrong one.
Alchemist
#304 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 10:46 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 14th Aug 2009 at 9:19 AM. Reason: working again
Okay, turns out I have two versions of the object, due to a SimPE crash, and installed the half-made one by accident. The file attached above has not been completed at all, so no wonder it doesn't work.

There is only one BHAV - I was thinking of groups perhaps? But two versions of the package, one renumbered and one not.

So I'm fiddling with it...I fixed the BHAV number and pointed it to the new code. The object places normally now and doesn't vanish after being kicked over. But I currently have no menu option and no motive changes.

Interestingly, the other version - which is what I thought I was using already - does have the motive change, but no pie menu.

I'll go fiddle some more. From scratch, I think!

Okay, re-checked everything, made sure to load the correct package...it works! my only quibble is that the new menu appears when the object is kicked over, as well as when it is upright. I can probably worry about that later though.

So now, on to the animations section. Thanks.

EDIT: My animations are working! Now I just have to find ones that look like I want. My initial choices are only so-so.

I put in mood+mem for one of the expressions, but I can't see any effect. I can't find info on it by searching...can you tell me what should be happening? Is there an explanatory list somewhere I could look up?

MORE EDIT: My object is going quite well. I'm trying to make it add cooking skill - do I need to use += for that instead of :=?

Also, I'm trying different animations, and the last lot of changes have suddenly turned into treacle. Sims not interacting with my object are moving normally, but any sim using my object goes terrrrribly slowly through the anims. What have I done now? The first anim being called is flamingo stealing, and everything goes slow from there.

Current package should be attached. Thanks!

EVEN MORE EDIT: Fixed the slowness - found posts saying the fourth operand has to be 20, and now sims are going through the entire interaction very fast. (Perhaps there's a happy medium, or perhaps I should add more anims to make it look like something.)

My cooking increment is working beautifully now. I guessed correctly how to do that.

So, thanks for the tutorial! There is lots still to learn, but I have the makings of a successful object in hand.
Alchemist
#305 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 8:15 AM
I've started a thread in the Creator Feedback Forum for this object. It's getting more complicated all the time.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...705#post2791705

Can I blend animations together in some way? They look jerky. It's less obvious now that I have dialogues. I also want to slow the ineraction down a bit - it's all over in a flash.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#306 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 12:23 PM
Just saw all your edits

Regarding the animation speed, 20 is "normal speed" but you can change it. From the wiki:
"Operand 4: This operand controls the speed of the animation. The default value is 20, but it can be set to anything between 01 and FF (00 results in an error). Values from 01 to 7F make the animation play forward, with the higher the number, the faster the animation. HOWEVER: Values above 7F (or from 80 to FF) make the animation run Backwards, with larger numbers making the animation slower. So 7F would make a fast, forward animation, and 80 would make a fast, backward animation. For the technically minded, this value is stored in a fixed point format (1 sign bit, 3 integer bits, 4 fractional bits). Consequently, 0x20 represents a speed multiplier of 1 (the normal rate), and 0xE0 represents a speed multiplier of -1 (normal rate played backwards). "

As for blending, yes you can, but it depends on how you've coded it. You need to set the "No Blend Out" to false, and make sure that the animation you want to blend into is being played immediately afterwards.

Regarding skills, you might want to read through this: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=222531
Alchemist
#307 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 12:12 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 19th Aug 2009 at 1:00 AM. Reason: remove old package.
Thanks, I'll have a look at those options. And that thread.

I know it's very late news, but it would have saved me a lot of fruitless searching if I had known what to call those symbols in the opcode wizard. I needed a list of what they meant, and I did find one eventually - after asking my techie husband what they were called. I didn't find 'operators' mentioned in your tute, but once I had the name, I found a list buried in another thread quite quickly. You might want to put that word in somewhere.

Can you help me with the error I'm getting at the end of the hula animation? ("object referred to must be a person"). I've found nothing useful with searches. The error log is in the feedback thread.

Edit - This may be biting off more than I can currently chew, but I have another object in mind that I need some guidance on.

I want an object to spawn roaches as the consequence of a failed interaction. How would I do that? I've seen that there are roach semiglobals, anims etc, but I'm not sure how to put them onto my object. Or indeed, which parts of the roach stuff need to be used at all.

I found an old flamingo object that spawns roaches, so I might be able to borrow things from that. It's making a minigame out of it though, so I'm not sure which parts are relevant.

Update: I'm completely stuck! Can't figure out what is going on - I've made a new object - cloned from the painting this time so as to follow the tute properly - but I can't get the new BHAV to be recognised by the Pie menu functions. I've treid several times, and even made a second clone of the painting in case I messed that up. Must have been beginner's luck before , unless there is something wrong with my cloning technique.

EDIT - I've removed the broken painting package, I worked it out.
Alchemist
#308 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 12:58 AM
Update - I fixed the hula animation, and found out what was wrong with the painting clone. yay!

I've broken the autonomy somewhere along the line, though. It's still set at 32, but sims won't use the object without direction -except to 'view' it. I'm going to post it in the Repair Centre, so I'm not just relying on one person to assist. Thanks for your help so far.
Instructor
#309 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 12:16 AM
Thank you for the great tutorial. It is clear and very encouraging. I am OK with everything but for the life of me I cannot get a new pie menu option to show up for the cloned painting. Everything is fine with CC, though, and I cannot find anything I do differently.
Also, in the cloned painting, the name of the Action BHAV in TTAB turns to [unknown BHAV] as soon as I set the TTAB group ID to 0xFFFFFFFF.
The problematic file is included, and I am grateful for any help.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  RedvsBlueClone.zip (84.8 KB, 54 downloads) - View custom content
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#310 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
Thank you for the great tutorial. It is clear and very encouraging. I am OK with everything but for the life of me I cannot get a new pie menu option to show up for the cloned painting. Everything is fine with CC, though, and I cannot find anything I do differently.
Also, in the cloned painting, the name of the Action BHAV in TTAB turns to [unknown BHAV] as soon as I set the TTAB group ID to 0xFFFFFFFF.
The problematic file is included, and I am grateful for any help.

Have you checked that all the BHAVs are in the 0xFFFFFFFF group as well?
Instructor
#311 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 8:27 AM
Thank you.
I have checked and they were not; but even when I changed them, the BHAVs (the original ones, like View) remained [unknown].
The BHAV I made is referenced correctly in the TTAB, but does not show up.
Is the process or result supposed to be different if I do not assign a new GUID to my object? As I'm just practicing, it is OK if the tweaked painting overrides the normal one in game.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#312 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 11:14 AM
OKay, just took a look. The first thing I noticed is that the groups haven't been fixed when you did the cloning. Perhaps you unchecked something accidentally? To fix it, go to "Tools", "Object Tools", "Fix Integrity". Save the package, then close it and re-open it in SimPE. If it's still not working after you do that, let me know what it's doing and I'll have a bit more of a poke around.

In an object like the painting, the GUID doesn't make any difference to the BHAVs or the TTABs, so don't worry about that.
Instructor
#313 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 3:01 PM
You are right, of course. When cloning, all boxes were unticked (as I've only ever used cloning to get OBJDs for hiders and recategorisers).
I will remember to check this in the future. Thank you for your help.
Test Subject
#314 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 8:46 AM
Thanks for the cool tutorial, it pointed me to the right direction, because I couldn't find a mod for the item I'm looking for.

But I've come with a problem with the item I want to mod. *sigh* I want to mod the damn robot workbench to include a new robot (I attached both the cloned bench and the robot).

After cloning the item I went to the "make many" and "make one" BHAV's but I couldn't find where is the place in which the item to be crafted is selected, so I don't know how to procceed from here. At first I though it wouldn't be that difficult (I would just need to copy the actions to craft a munchieBot, and replace the item), but now I'm totally stuck.

So, any ideas? this is the only mod I've ever wanted to do, and it's very frustrating tht I can't get it done. :/
Attached files:
File Type: rar  robotbench.rar (367.6 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Sanibot.rar (302.0 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#315 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 12:46 PM
Hi Darkitow,

I just replied to your other thread about the robots, so I won't repeat myself here. Hopefully it has helped a little bit:
http://nene.modthesims.info/showthr...489#post3329489
Test Subject
#316 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 1:34 PM
Fine, I'll continue the discussion there, thanks for the reply. :D
Test Subject
#317 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 4:25 PM
I gotta question about the SimPE BHAV plugin. What does this symbol mean ---> -=

It's a minus sign next to an equal sign, if u can't tell.

OH SNAP!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#318 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 12:16 AM
a -= b
is the same as
a := (a - b)
Test Subject
#319 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
a -= b
is the same as
a := (a - b)

But that's different from == ?

Are you DECLARING a and b as the same? Or are you asking the question if they are the same? I thought the := was a declaration of sorts.

Either way, this really sets me back.....somehow, I need this BHAV to say "Is this sims current promotion level 1 less than this neighbor's promotion level within this Job GUID?"

OH SNAP!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#320 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 7:35 AM
Set the value of 'a' to the value currently in 'b'
a := b

Is the value in 'a' the same as the value in 'b'?
a == b

Set the value of 'a' to the value currently in 'a' minus the value currently in 'b'
a -= b

To do what you are describing, you need to use a temporary variable:
local := current promotion level ( set the local variable 1 to the current promotion level )
local -= literal 1 (subtract 1 from this local variable )
local == neighbour's promotion level ( does the local variable have the same value as the neighbour's promotion level? )
Test Subject
#321 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 4:59 PM
When I use the Set to Next (Neighbor Job GUID), do I use the Set To Next loop again for the Job promotion level? Or that info already open for use? Because it think the Set to Next is reptitive and going to the next Neighbor instead.

OH SNAP!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#322 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:31 AM
I'm not sure why you would run a Set To Next on Job promotion, it's just a person data field. You can read it straight from there. Also, if you have a set-to-next inside a set-to-next, you have to do a whole lot of variable switching to support it (because set-to-next is based on the current value of Stack Object ID)
Test Subject
#323 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:44 AM
I wasn't using a second Set to Next for the job promo level, i wasn't sure if I should tho. But I'm workin' on it, thanx

OH SNAP!
Lab Assistant
#324 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 6:39 PM
This is a great tutorial. I've been doing well with it until I hit the animation section. When you say "then add and link in a new command." Do you mean literally use the add command. If so how do you link it to the others? What I did was use the "insert Via true" button. Then inserted the operand values you listed. At this point I get something different. You show that the string will look like this:

[prim 0x006A] Animate Sim (Animation: [No AdultAnims: Private STR# 0x0081 file]:0x0000, No event
tree, Flipped: False, Anim Speed in Temp 2: False, Interruptible: False, Start at tag in Temp 0: False, Trans
to Idle: False, No Blend out: False, No Blend in: False, Flip Flag in Temp 3: False, Synch to last anim: False,
Use controlling object as anim source: False, Not hurryable: False, IK Object: Stack Object ID, Priority:
0x00 (low))

But I see this instead:

[prim 0x006A] Animate Sim (animation: [Fallback: Global] "a-noExpression" [AdultAnims:0x00 (Private)],
Event tree: --- (Private),
Anim Speed: ---,
Interruptible: False,
Start at tag: ---,
Trans to Idle: False,
Blend out: True,
Blend in: True,
Flip Flag: False,
Synch to last anim: False,
Use controlling object as anim source: False,
Not hurryable: False,
IK Object: My attribute 0x000A,
Priority: 0x00 (low))

I am lost.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#325 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 11:23 PM
Insert via true is fine. If you use the "add" button, then you can link it in by going to the command before it, then typing directly into the "True target" text box. Enter in the line number you want it to point to, and it will link up. (Insert via true is a short-hand version of the same thing).

The difference in animation description text should be fine too. This tutorial was just written with a much earlier version of SimPE. I think you should be right just to keep going.
Page 13 of 16