Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 2:41 AM Last edited by AceAbe : 29th Oct 2011 at 2:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention...
Default Modern Houses
Evening guys Just downloaded the new House Ung999 uploaded, absolutely beautiful I must say! Been playing around in it, looking at the architecture etc and I'm just wondering how the landscaping and foundations were done underneath the house?
I've been trawling the net for some time now, including all the tutorials on here and I just cannot find it, I think it's an amazing way to build modern houses, giving it the "on supports" kinda look. I'd love it if someone could tell me or direct me to a thread or tutorial about it, I'd love to be able to include it in some of my houses. Thanks all
Edit: Just thought I would mention I do know how to use the CFE False cheat, have been playing around with it for a while but cannot get the effect that I see in Ung999's house.
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AceAbe
Evening guys Just downloaded the new House Ung999 uploaded, absolutely beautiful I must say! Been playing around in it, looking at the architecture etc and I'm just wondering how the landscaping and foundations were done underneath the house?
I've been trawling the net for some time now, including all the tutorials on here and I just cannot find it, I think it's an amazing way to build modern houses, giving it the "on supports" kinda look. I'd love it if someone could tell me or direct me to a thread or tutorial about it, I'd love to be able to include it in some of my houses. Thanks all
Edit: Just thought I would mention I do know how to use the CFE False cheat, have been playing around with it for a while but cannot get the effect that I see in Ung999's house.

Moving this to the Building Forum in the Create section
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 3:20 AM
Just seen that now, I am sorry. Wasn't sure where to put it, I haven't long signed up to these forums, thanks for moving
mature minion
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 9:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AceAbe
I'm just wondering how the landscaping and foundations were done underneath the house?

Probably the easiest way to do this would be to flatten your lot, then sculpt the land as you want. Now find the highest point and get your trusty foundation tool, drag out your foundation over the entire area starting from that highest point. Then just delete the bits of foundation you don't want (I'd personally do this in small bits replacing it with floor where you want to have rooms) and leaving the "supports" for you to build up from. This method actually is nice in that it doesn't need the cfe cheat at all

Another method which does use cfe on from the start is to flatten your terrain first (it helps if you know what you are going to build and where you want your supports at this stage) and then place the walls where you want before doing your terrain sculpting. Now you can mould the landscape as you see fit. You may notice your walls are all pretty erm, how to put this politely, funky at the moment. So place a bit of foundation again at the highest point and simple drag out the height from there across to your other bits of walls.

If any of this is clear or actually helpful I apologise profusely :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 12:50 PM
Quote:
If any of this is clear or actually helpful I apologise profusely :P

Apology accepted! Thanks,this was very helpful indeed lol One more thing though, I noticed in Ung's house that the terrain was actually sculpted around the supporting "walls" underneath, whenever I try to sculpt the terrain like this, around the walls with CFE on of course, it just moves the wall up, even flattening it doesn't work. Also tried sculpting the terrain then building the walls/foundation but they just flatten the terrain back out again. Pesky terrain!
On closer inspection though I'm pretty sure the "blocks" underneath are foundation, they have the foundation wall decor on them and it cannot be deleted only covered over with another wallpaper. So as I was typing that my brain totally froze
I hope this makes sense
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 1:16 PM
Woot! I got it! Going to take a while but I got it all the same. I used the method you suggested without the CFE cheat, once I managed to do it I felt like kicking myself, it's been staring me in the face the whole time!
Thanks ever so much TeeHee, without you I would have been sitting amongst my foundation and terrain rocking back and forth going slowly insane!
mature minion
retired moderator
#7 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 1:46 PM
Glad to hear it, happy building!

P.S. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can make with this new-found knowledge