Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 3:21 AM
Default Hp Omen laptop for sims 3
Hello,

Recently I had a xmg laptop that could only run the sims without a fps limiter or I'd get major screen tear and lag, the gpu was a gtx 960, I sent it back. I am interested in trying another laptop which is the hp omen
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...puters+%5BUK%5D I was wondering if anyone has played sims 3 on it without problems? Thanks
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 9:06 AM
Wait you could only run the sims *without* an fps limiter? Isn't that good? because normally you shouldn't need one unless your GPU is running excessively hot.

I'm any case that new laptop you linked to seems to be worse than the old one. The old one had a GTX 960M, but this one has a GTX 950M.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
Wait you could only run the sims *without* an fps limiter? Isn't that good? because normally you shouldn't need one unless your GPU is running excessively hot.

I'm any case that new laptop you linked to seems to be worse than the old one. The old one had a GTX 960M, but this one has a GTX 950M.
Thanks for your reply, that laptop I sent back was new it had the 960, the fps was at 200 lol, so I had to apparently use a limiter but then it would screen tear even with vsync. I decided not to go with hp so might look at asus and msi. Also about the gpu, isn't it better for Sims 3 to have a older card like 950 rather than the 960?
Scholar
#4 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 11:30 AM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 12th Aug 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Were you having problems at 200 fps? Theres nothing inherently wrong with high fps.

Its heat that you need to worry about. If the laptop was overheating then thats a problem with the design of the laptop, not the gpu.

Older / weaker GPUs are not better for The Sims 3 or 4.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 12:50 PM
Were you having problems at 200 fps? Theres nothing inherently wrong with high fps.

Its heat that you need to worry about. If the laptop was overheating then thats a problem with the design of the laptop, not the gpu.

Older / weaker GPUs are not better for The Sims 3 or 4.
yeah the laptop got proper hot but was fine with cooling pad, do you reckon that the gtx 950 would be ok for Sims 3? Right now my desktop I have for home use has the gtx 645 which can run sims 3 on high settings fine.
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
yeah the laptop got proper hot but was fine with cooling pad, do you reckon that the gtx 950 would be ok for Sims 3? Right now my desktop I have for home use has the gtx 645 which can run sims 3 on high settings fine.

ah ok. I think the GTX 950 should be okay. I can't really remember where it sits on the hierarchy, i'll check reviews this weekend when i have time.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 12:56 AM
ah ok. I think the GTX 950 should be okay. I can't really remember where it sits on the hierarchy, i'll check reviews this weekend when i have time.
OK thanks, I have found one from msi that's got a gtx 960 but not sure if it's worth it xD
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 4:58 AM
OK thanks, I have found one from msi that's got a gtx 960 but not sure if it's worth it xD

Laptops can get hot when you use them and thats fine. It only becomes a problem when they become *too* hot, causing artifacts or hardware problems. That's usually a design flaw in the laptop and varies from laptop to laptop.

The GTX 960M in and of itself should be fine. And generally I've heard no complaints about MSI laptops. Yeah they run hot when gaming, but they dont have any problems when they do so. Just make sure you lay them down on a flat rigid surface, such as a table, and not on your actual lap :P
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 10:28 AM
Laptops can get hot when you use them and thats fine. It only becomes a problem when they become *too* hot, causing artifacts or hardware problems. That's usually a design flaw in the laptop and varies from laptop to laptop.

The GTX 960M in and of itself should be fine. And generally I've heard no complaints about MSI laptops. Yeah they run hot when gaming, but they dont have any problems when they do so. Just make sure you lay them down on a flat rigid surface, such as a table, and not on your actual lap :P
I got the msi with the 960 and its fps on sims 3 is anything from 60 to 150fps, is that ok ? Screen tear is very slight so doesn't bother me to much.
Scholar
#10 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 1:12 PM
I got the msi with the 960 and its fps on sims 3 is anything from 60 to 150fps, is that ok ? Screen tear is very slight so doesn't bother me to much.

Yeah. I was playing with a GTX 670 and was getting something like 240fps if I recall correctly. For screen tearing check if you can force V-Sync via Nvidia Control Panel.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 2:24 PM
Yeah. I was playing with a GTX 670 and was getting something like 240fps if I recall correctly. For screen tearing check if you can force V-Sync via Nvidia Control Panel.
yeah vsync is on, is 150fps bad for sims? My temps are fine.
Scholar
#12 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 4:36 PM
yeah vsync is on, is 150fps bad for sims? My temps are fine.

If temps are fine, and you have no other problems then you're good.