Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 4:14 AM
Default Favorite/Least Favorite book-to-movie adaption
What is your favorite and least favorite book that has been made into a movie?

Favorites:
Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter SS
The 10th Kingdom

Least Favorite:
Ella Enchanted. I was so mad about this movie. It was NOTHING like the book.
The Nanny Diaries
Advertisement
Interstellar Traveler
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 5:44 AM Last edited by Simul8rReviews : 2nd Jul 2011 at 5:55 AM.
Favourites:
The Green Mile
The Notebook
Nightmare Before Christmas
and Corpse Bride

Least Favourites:
The Lovely Bones, I read the book.. and I hated the movie SO much! I was very disappointed
The Twilight Saga.. *shivers*
The Last Song

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 5:58 AM
Favorites:
Harry Potter (all except Goblet of Fire when they cut out Mrs. Weasley and some of the character development)
Lord of The Rings
Raisin in the Sun (the one with Sidney Poiter)
Princess Bride
Goodfellas
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
A Clockwork Orange
Alice in Wonderland

Least Favorite:
All those comic book adaptations movies with the protagonist acting like a douche/Tony Stark despite the comic book character's original personality.
Pride and Prejudice (the mini-series did way better than the movie)
Catch 22
Where the Wild Things Are
Theorist
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 8:01 AM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 2nd Jul 2011 at 8:13 AM.
The Island of Dr. Moreau ( 1996 )

I don't care how badly critics thought of this film. It was a gem. Had I read the book, Dr. Moreau would have been a cruel genius. But I can't picture any Dr. Moreau other than Marlon Brando with his ice helmet.

How to Eat Fried Worms ( 2006 )

The book was hilarious, albeit racist. I didn't want to watch the movie after someone's mother told me her children would rather have watched something else. That means she and her husband had to suffer through a terrible ( for adults ) movie with sulking children.
Inventor
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 9:17 AM
Favourite:
Harry Potter
Lord of The Rings
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Least Favourite:
PS I love you (SOOO different from the book I wanted to cry and rip my eyes out. A total different story)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 1:26 PM
Favorite:
Lord of the Rings

Least Favorite:
Eragon (Seriously, did you even TRY to follow the book?!)

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 8:09 PM
I liked The Notebook movie, but not the book.

I like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I just couldn't get interested in the book series.

rcranger9, I'm guessing you feel the same way about Eragon the movie as I feel about Ella Enchanted. I was so MAD about the movie.

I like all the Harry Potter adaptions, but there are a few parts from each book that I wanted included. I really wanted the Weasleys getting Harry for the World Cup from the Dursley's, St. Mungos, POA's ending, and Dumbledore visiting the Dursley's to name a few.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 11:50 PM
Favourites:

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

Least Favourite:

The Northern Lights/Golden Compass
Instructor
#9 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 12:05 AM
I really disliked the chronicles of Narnia, Lion the witch and the wardrobe.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 1:28 AM
Favourites:
Harry Potter
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Nightmare Before Christmas

Least Favourite:
Every Twilight movie
The Newer Version of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (the one with Johnny Depp, God that was horrible...)

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Theorist
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 1:53 AM
Favorites:

Lord Of The Rings
X-Men First Class (comics are included in 'books' category right?)

Least favorites:

Harry Potter (it seems that everyone but me includes Harry Potter in their FAVORITES, instead of the LEAST; but whatever. I don't mind cutting down the scenes to make the movie shorter, but adding unnecessary dramas, changing scenes, I just can't stand those)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 2:22 AM
Favourites:
-Lord of the Rings (hands down my fav movie adaptation).
-Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
-Pride and Prejudice (except for the very, very end)

I honestly can't think of any least favourites right now. I know I have some because, being such a hardcore book-lover, it really irks me when they totally screw with the plot to try and make a better movie. Maybe Twilight, but I never loved the books. Harry Potter I'm kind of ambivalent about. I love the books but the movies... They're decent, but I don't love them.

Oh wait, Troy. They totally messed up the Iliad, but then again that's a classic so I don't know if it should count.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 3:27 AM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory followed the book a lot more closely than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I've never even read any of LOTR.

I love the X-Men movies, but I've never read the comics. I did watch the cartoon that came on in the 90s though.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 9:11 AM
Favorites-
AI: Artificial Intelligence
Kick Ass
Blade Runner
The Green Mile
Batman Begins, The Dark Knight
I Am Legend
The Pursuit of Happiness
X-Men (excluding the 3rd movie, and Wolverine: Origins.)
Minority Report
To Kill A Mocking Bird
Forrest Gump

Least Favorites-
City of Ember (Book was good, movie was not.)
Eragon (lol.)
Precious (I just...Didn't like it.)
Fantastic Four (God awful.)
The Twilight Saga (>.>)

Ohhai dere, Mr/Mrs.Signature reader ;D look at you, bein' all creeperish.
Scholar
#15 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 6:33 PM
Considering that the majority of movies are adaptations of novels, plays, comic books ect I could list thousands of titles. I'm sticking with 20th century writing and only citing movies where I have actually read the original work of fiction and limiting myself to 5.

Favorites:
Gone With the Wind
Wizard of Oz
To Kill a Mockingbird
Stand By Me
Misery

Just plain bad:
Bonfire of the Vanities
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Bicentennial Man
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Under least favorites I feel compelled to include "The Scarlet Letter" since it's one of the worst films ever made. Although not based on 20th century prose so I didn't add it to my short list of 5.
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 9:43 PM
I can't believe I forgot to add Gone With the Wind!! That is my favorite book and movie! I'm actually reading it right now.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Demi Moore version of The Scarlett Letter. There is an older movie/mini series version that is much better.

I have never read The Green Mile, but liked the movie. Are there any major differences between the two?

I liked How the Grinch Stole Christmas live action version as a stand alone movie, not as an adaption. As an adaption, the cartoon is better.

Also, the live action The Cat in the Hat was BAD.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 4th Jul 2011 at 2:44 AM
Favorites: The Keira Knightley version of Pride & Prejudice, Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility, LOTR (particularly the extended editions), The Princess Bride (although I'll admit I'm not sure if the book came before or after the movie). These are personal faves, not absolute classics like To Kill A Mockingbird.

Least favorites: Live-action Seuss films are bad ideas. There's an ancient black-and-white Pride and Prejudice adaptation that features the Bennet girls in Civil War-era attire that's horrific. Ella Enchanted absolutely slaughtered the source material. Troy is awful, made more so by the fact that some of the casting actually seemed decent. (Poor script...)

I can't say about Gone With The Wind or Twilight, because I hated both book and movie for Gone With The Wind, and have never seen a Twilight movie but hate the book series.

I'm sure the more I think about this, the longer this list could get on both sides.
Scholar
#18 Old 4th Jul 2011 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
I'm guessing you're talking about the Demi Moore version of The Scarlett Letter.

Indeed. Truly a horrific film. Then again I'm not sure how many people enjoyed the book as it's usually read in school when your to young to fully comprehend it. I reread it as an adult as I did lots of the literature I originally read as a teen and got a lot more out of it.

Quote: Originally posted by Julieryc
There's an ancient black-and-white Pride and Prejudice adaptation that features the Bennet girls in Civil War-era attire that's horrific.

Greer Garson as Elizabeth Bennet and Sir Laurence Olivier as Darcy. Not only is Greer Garson about 15 years too old for the role but the costuming as you say is frightening. Not sure that's Civil War era, actually I'm not sure that's any era at all I don't think anyone ever dressed like that. Just something that Edith Head (the long time head of costuming at MGM) dreamed up in an obvious drug induced haze. Plus they butcher the storyline something awful but they did that to most literature in the old Hollywood era. Sorry for pontificating but I'm a bit of a film buff.
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Jul 2011 at 3:35 AM
I haven't seen the entire Demi Moore SL, only got about a half an hour in and turned it off it was so bad.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 4th Jul 2011 at 12:14 PM Last edited by PixCii : 4th Jul 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I can't believe I forgot Fight Club -_-
Favourites
  • LOTR
  • To Kill a Mocking Bird
  • The Shining
  • Misery
  • High Fidelity
  • About A Boy
  • Alice in Wonderland (Disney's 1951 masterpiece, not Burton's massacre)
  • Lolita
  • Fight Club

Least Favourites
  • The Lovely Bones
  • Pride and Prejudice (admittedly, I hate the novel)

I tend to stay away from book-to-film adaptions if I love the novel, as I hate it when bigshot directors ruin a great piece of literature.
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 9:27 PM
I forgot to add that I hate both The Princess Diaries movies. I love the books. The movies are NOTHING like them.
Theorist
#22 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 1:37 AM Last edited by vhanster : 11th Jul 2011 at 5:03 AM.
I used to think Eragon the movie was somewhat okay- until recently I read the book, and find out how much different it is, so now I HATE it. Seriously, if it weren't for the title and the names, it could have passed off as an entirely different story
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 3:25 AM
That's exactly how I was about The Princess Diaries 1 & 2. I liked the movies, until I read the books. I hate them now.
Theorist
#24 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Just plain bad:
Bonfire of the Vanities
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Bicentennial Man
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

The Jim Carrey or cartoon version?

Favorites
Harry Potter (duh!)
Hunger Games (hopefully, it looks good so far though....)
Grinch (cartoon)
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Basically every disney movie
Charlotte's Web

Didn't like
The Golden Compass
Percy Jackson

Hi I'm Paul!
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 6:14 AM
I've never read A Series of Unfortunate Events, is the book series any good? I seen and like the movie.
Page 1 of 2