Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 2:53 AM
Default How feasible is it to 'reskin' a world by replacing resources?
As much as I love the game's art style, I'm not mad for Willow Creek and Newcrest's architectural style and quaint suburban US feel. Of course I can edit the lots but there are lots of background assets that I can do nothing about within the game.

You can't deny that playground is killing the wonderfully tacky Miami Vice thing I had going.

I decided to have a look at a .world file in S4Studio to see if I could play about with it and found this:

Those DST images have an Import button, which leads me to think the worlds can at the very least be retextured (not sure about the alpha map-looking ones). However, it's the WorldLotArchitectureResource and WorldLotObjectsResource files that I'm more interested in. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the value in the Instance field - which I'm assuming is the hash of some object that's stored elsewhere and looked up in a table at some point - with something else and change the way the world looks.

Has anyone tried this? Did it break their game? I've only just started looking at the S4PE/S4PI codebase and it's massive so it's gonna take a while until I've figured out what everything is doing (in fact, S4PE doesn't even display any information pertaining to these resources when I inspect .world files).