Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 7:28 PM
Default 3d decorations to body mesh?
been reading tutorials and users' posts/questions
for a while now, but it seems I can't get my questions answered
perhaps I just missed however I did look and for several days been
messing around with tutorials

my question is, how do people make those 3d decorations they add on their meshes?

like pockets hoodies ribbons and scarves for example

is it possible with just milkshape? (and how) do they use another program?

I couldn't find tutorials about this matter, I sometimes have the feeling I understand what's written and figure things out, then I see some custom content and am clueless how people got to that resault

like they are limited by only their imagination
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 7:36 PM
Yes, it's possible just with Milkshape. Easiest way is to find a mesh that has something similar to what you want and "frankenstein" the parts together. Otherwise, you'll have to make the parts in Milkshape from "primitives" - planes, spheres, cubes, etc., make sure they're properly uv mapped so they're textured right, give them bone assignments so they move with the sim and the rest of the body, fix any normals so they blend in correctly, and regroup them as part of the regular body mesh. Many people who make clothing meshes have gotten pretty much everything released (all the EPs and SPs plus as much Store content as possible) just to have tons of "ingredients" to choose from when making clothing. A collar from this, the sleeves from that, the skirt from this other thing, shoes from another, and a few added polygons to patch the holes.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 7:45 PM
oh I did read about combining parts, what I am interested about is creating my own
parts from scratch
just can't find any in-depth guide (or any tutorial at all) for this matter
so I am hoping some experienced meshers could solve my mistery
so I can start 'building my world'

thank you for replying so fast
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 7:52 PM
Well, I don't think there is a tutorial on it because, tbh, it's done very rarely. Almost all the stuff you see done body/clothing mesh wise is done from modifying existing parts and stickin' them together.

I think Dr Pixel did a tutorial on creating and uv mapping some shoes from scratch. That's probably the closest to a tutorial on what you're trying to do. You can also look in the Milkshape Help file for some other tutorials on creating and modifying primitives.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 8:18 PM
thanks, I'll try doing just that

and I think his shoes tutorial at least the one I saw was for the uvmapping, and combining, didn't see about creating them but
I'll double check

thanks again
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 8:20 PM
Well, really, creating the parts is dead easy - you just clicky the primitive you want, choose its parameters, and add it. It's all the rest that's tricky.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 9:41 PM
I don't think I've ever created anything from scratch. It's just too fiddly... you have to create normals, bone assignments, bone weights... ugh.

If you want an example of the sorts of things you can do with existing parts, have a look at these dresses I made for my Sim girls. The rose at the waist is 3D, not just painted on. I took the rose from an adult hair mesh, rotated it, moved it into place, fixed the bone assignments, and combined it with the rest of the mesh. Voila! An easy accessory.

I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to make something like that from scratch. It's so much easier to use existing parts.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 7:09 PM
thanks alot
*takes a look*