Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
I would be tempted to bet money on a damaged skeleton (file corruption) or moved joints.
However, that is quite an interesting looking sim. Thanks for sharing it.

<* Wes *>

in fact this looks a LOT like a mesh exported with your experimental plugin!
I bet that one would display exactly in the same way in Bodyshop - too bad I dumped it
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 25th Mar 2007 at 12:29 AM
This is what a little boredom and a good dose of frustration can do to you...

Alchemist
#28 Old 25th Mar 2007 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marvine
in fact this looks a LOT like a mesh exported with your experimental plugin!

Well, I am happy you discovered that, because I had never thought about the issue. The code from the experimental plugin is in the latest, but now the skeleton on body meshes is 'locked' to the one that is imported (via the comments in each joint).

So moving joints in body meshes no longer exports the changes, but rather reverts to the original skeleton.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 25th Mar 2007 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marvine
I bet that one would display exactly in the same way in Bodyshop - too bad I dumped it

LOL it looks like a new species of spider sim or something
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#30 Old 25th Mar 2007 at 4:05 AM
wes_h

Are you saying that I don't have to be afraid with 4.08 of accidentally moving the skeleton/joints, because it won't actually 'move' and mess up my body mesh?

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Alchemist
#31 Old 25th Mar 2007 at 4:24 AM
Short answer:
Yes, for a linked skeleton (not the circles only).

More useless infornation:
This is because I built 4.08 to have the bones linked together, which then makes each bone position dependent on the parent's position. That is, the thumb bones are positioned relative to the hand, which is relative to the wrist, which is relative to the forearm...

So all this is pretty hard to unwind. And the bone movements were always a problem for body meshes. And if you use the animation tools in MilkShape, the bone position changes are temporary. So on the linked skeletons, we just export what positions we imported (which was the way I had things 'way back in the early animatable plugins).

Now, this is pairing the 4.08 importer and 4.08 exporter up. If you use the newer importer and an older exporter, you will get something like marvine shared with us.

And if you use the animation tool to pose a mesh, and then export it, you will have improbable results in-game, because the changes in the vertex positions will be exported, but the original skeleton is still used. So, you will easily have flesh that is not in the same place as the bones it is assigned to.

Non-body (object) meshes look and play the same way they always did.

<* Wes *>
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ulkrhsn
yeah i think you're absolutely right I don't know how I damaged the skeleton because everything seems to be ok in milkshape

I just had the same error happen. I looked at the skeleton and realized I had two extra skeletons. I deleted the second and third skeleton (by just deleting all the joins from auskel to b_hair) and my mesh works now.
Scholar
#33 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Berg
This is what a little boredom and a good dose of frustration can do to you...

Heeee hehe heheh I would love that uploaded :D

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Field Researcher
#34 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
Heeee hehe heheh I would love that uploaded :D

LOL! :D

I made it to test if any of the editing I did would show up in game AT ALL, since I had problems with that not happening at one point...

I should have uploaded it at "Great Ideas" day, I actually made an orange and green apple recolour for kicks!

My 100% free site Carnaby Sims
Test Subject
#35 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 4:40 PM
Thank you for scaring me. Now I know how funny my meshes will look. But hey, at least I'l have a good laugh in the process.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 2:02 AM
This is what happened when I created an fat morph of an alpha mesh.
I duplicated the body_alpha cut the top off that & linked it to the fat morph alpha.

The fat morph was fine until I exported it, then it looked like this.

I got around it by just moving the vertices of the original fat alpha mesh around the shoulders and neck to the same points as the body_alpha.

I've had this happen a few times.
Screenshots

You expect people to pay for those hairs?!
Alchemist
#37 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by exportdry
I duplicated the body_alpha cut the top off that & linked it to the fat morph alpha.

The part where you "cut the top off" is where you went wrong. You cannot add or delete vertices or faces from the morph groups. It cannot work right that way.

Removing parts of the morph that are not needed is unnecessary, because the entire dataset always needs to be there, and will not be any smaller with morph parts removed. Parts that you do not want to change should not be removed, but simply left in the same place as the base mesh they are linked to. At run time, all vertices in the same location as the base mesh are not morphed.

Now that I have lectured you sufficiently, let me say that is a fine example of an exploded mesh.

<* Wes *>
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#38 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 4:30 AM
to make a new fat morph of whatever part, you must duplicate the matching part and not delete or add anything at that point. That way the vertex order on the original (say body) and body morph - is identical and the program can do the right thing with matching up the vertices.
For the alpha section, repeat - once you have the thin alpha perfect, select the entire alpha, and duplicate it and then rename that and fix comments to be your alpha's morph. Then adjust the size.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Field Researcher
#39 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 10:03 PM

This was an attempt in creating an alpha nightgown mesh. I think something went seriously wrong with the arms even though everything looked fine in Milkshape and I didn't mess with them any. Oh, well. If at first you don't succeed, you probably didn't do it right in the first place.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#40 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ulkrhsn

I'm still wondering why that happened

ahahaha .... Lost her head at a party? :D
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#41 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 1:34 AM
dang, if only my bloopers looked so beautiful!

Field Researcher
#42 Old 5th May 2007 at 10:46 PM
These are fun (and comforting). Here's a strange species of crab sim that I created earlier (accidentally)

I used an adult group and forgot about it because it was hidden...

"I'm afraid I'm not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service".
-Monty Python's Flying Circus
Instructor
#43 Old 17th May 2007 at 11:41 AM
Here is my first exploded mesh {I was trying to make earrings}:

its really frustrating!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#44 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 2:43 AM
My first meshing error...welding vertices, I think
He looks like he is pushing a wheelbarrow made of his arms.
But the fact that his chest is pulled over his face makes me a little sick!
Screenshots
Alchemist
#45 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 5:02 AM
Well, I have one to share.
It wasn't exactly an easy blooper, but had an interesting result.
I called the picture (from in-game) pretzelitis, and it amazed me that the game didn't seem to mind doing this to a Sim.

<* Wes *>
Screenshots
Banned Asshat
#46 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 5:55 AM Last edited by bLURR : 18th Jun 2007 at 6:21 AM.
Well, not a blooper if you count i forgot i set matdef to none instead of blend.
It a poserfigure wich imported in milkshape and tried wes his new autojoint's.
Lol, needs alot adjusting. :D
Got the feet working tho, there awesome:
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=47857
The autojoint unfortunaly assignes bones to the wrong leg, can you fix that?
Its not a big prob with a maxis bodyshape, but this one has 30.000verts

I added the girl going in the bathtub, that's a boneassignement blooper
Screenshots
Alchemist
#47 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 10:25 AM
I have an idea on that, by building tables of allowable adjacent bones. So, for example, the bicep would be allowed to meld with the upperarm and lower_arm only. No sharing with the chest area.

However, it will be a little while until I can move back into that programmimg space, since I have yet-another bloopy or bright idea to get out of testing and presented to the modding community.

<* Wes *>
Banned Asshat
#48 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 1:19 PM
Your idea's has made this all possible, keep those 1st place :P
It was just a question and im curious bout your next idea
Alchemist
#49 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bLURR
and im curious bout your next idea

Sorry. But it won't be too long.

Just as UniMesh was not a revolutionary creation (we had meshing tools already), but rather a strong evolutionary creation, I have another strong evolutionary creation in testing.

It is well-developed enough now (in testing) that revealing it would be safe, but then it would spoil the surprise factor, although I am about to split a gut to keep from blabbing about it already.

<* Wes *>
Banned Asshat
#50 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 4:32 PM
Lol, you do this on purpose right?
To make us sooo excited :D
Page 2 of 5