Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 7:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default CAW Options
CAW runs horribly slow on my old laptop with vista. I was wondering what the methods are for helping it out a little. My worlds are always small, I uncheck the various checked boxes in the view menu and I also try releasing some memory in closing other programs. Is that all I can do?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
CAW runs horribly slow on my old laptop with vista. I was wondering what the methods are for helping it out a little. My worlds are always small, I uncheck the various checked boxes in the view menu and I also try releasing some memory in closing other programs. Is that all I can do?

Regardless of EPs SPs CCs Mods you might have for your CAW and world, you'll need to get rid of Vista first, assuming your old laptop is in the same age and generation as Windows Vista, having Win Vista alone is already slowing down your old laptop, you can see this by checking your HDD LED every time you're login to Windows is always busy, take a note and mark how long it takes until it stop blinking, adding TS3 and CAW with Vista.. it's always going to busy in the background sooner or later.

If you can replace your Win Vista with Win 7 or XP, that might help a lot later on when you run CAW, I'd suggest you go with Win XP instead of Win 7 to make the most of your old laptop performance, when this is done then we can check what else can be improve to match your old laptop performance, but if you insist with Vista, I don't think there's much can be done to improve.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Regardless of EPs SPs CCs Mods you might have for your CAW and world, you'll need to get rid of Vista first, assuming your old laptop is in the same age and generation as Windows Vista, having Win Vista alone is already slowing down your old laptop, you can see this by checking your HDD LED every time you're login to Windows is always busy, take a note and mark how long it takes until it stop blinking, adding TS3 and CAW with Vista.. it's always going to busy in the background sooner or later.

If you can replace your Win Vista with Win 7 or XP, that might help a lot later on when you run CAW, I'd suggest you go with Win XP instead of Win 7 to make the most of your old laptop performance, when this is done then we can check what else can be improve to match your old laptop performance, but if you insist with Vista, I don't think there's much can be done to improve.

Oh well thats great to hear but sadly.. I dont think I can upgrade. At least not without buying anything and since this laptop is a dinosaur just for the sims 3 it isnt worth it
but yeah sometimes I forget the general faults of vista.

oh i forgot to include the whole program that updates the computer no longer works either. Its like the computer is frozen in time, my sister packed it with viruses years ago and I just found it, fixed it, and here we are.
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:05 PM
Oh well thats great to hear but sadly.. I dont think I can upgrade. At least not without buying anything and since this laptop is a dinosaur just for the sims 3 it isnt worth it
but yeah sometimes I forget the general faults of vista.

well you can downgrade it to XP if you still have XP installer copy, at least you still can play with it to make your world in CAW if you have XP, that's why I suggested to go with Win XP
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:13 PM
well you can downgrade it to XP if you still have XP installer copy, at least you still can play with it to make your world in CAW if you have XP, that's why I suggested to go with Win XP

Oh! O wow I did just type in "upgrade to xp" and was super confused. I keep forgetting XP was the golden predecessor. Anyway, I dont have that copy either and I think this laptop may have always been vista.... not sure.
Instructor
#6 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:28 PM
Oh! O wow I did just type in "upgrade to xp" and was super confused. I keep forgetting XP was the golden predecessor. Anyway, I dont have that copy either and I think this laptop may have always been vista.... not sure.

Well, if you still have your old XP's COA (serial number sticker), you can always download XP installer copy and then just put it in when installing, or you can buy a used one on ebay, I think it's cheap now..
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:34 PM
Well, if you still have your old XP's COA (serial number sticker), you can always download XP installer copy and then just put it in when installing, or you can buy a used one on ebay, I think it's cheap now..

Thank you! This is all really helpful. I'll look into it.