Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 5:43 AM
Default Reinstalling old game files from original discs onto a Complete Collection install?
Has anyone tried this? I just installed Sims 1 Complete Collection on Windows 10, but I have backups of my old game installed from original separate discs, along with a lot of cc. I would love to have it all back in my game, along with the families (I had the Goths so far along that I would get the special messages about how the Sims was created every day I would load them up). I'm wondering if my saved game is
compatible or if EA might have changed some things with Complete Collection.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 7:09 AM
It should work, but test it with a backup and not your only copy in case something messes up. The main glitch you can get is if you put a savegame from a US-English game into a UK-English game (or vice-versa); all of the townies will suddenly be called Randy and the dogs Luna! That one can be solved by a registry tweak.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It should work, but test it with a backup and not your only copy in case something messes up. The main glitch you can get is if you put a savegame from a US-English game into a UK-English game (or vice-versa); all of the townies will suddenly be called Randy and the dogs Luna! That one can be solved by a registry tweak.

That UK bug sounds hilarious. Nothing really to back up since I haven't played on the new install yet, just in case plopping down a saved game and content messed anything up. Thank you for the info, I'll give it a try!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 11:02 PM
Don't forget that the savegames are part of the installation. When you save, you are changing the only copies of the neighbourhoods that exist on your computer. There is no userdata folder in your documents folder like there is for modern games.

Also, CC is installed to the installation location- so if you overwrite anything, it's gone for good. For these reasons, I like to make a copy of the files as it's easier than reinstalling, or extracting files from the CABs on the disc. Then, if something breaks it's easy to go back
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 1:12 AM Last edited by rich1lenore : 25th Aug 2017 at 3:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Don't forget that the savegames are part of the installation. When you save, you are changing the only copies of the neighbourhoods that exist on your computer. There is no userdata folder in your documents folder like there is for modern games.

Also, CC is installed to the installation location- so if you overwrite anything, it's gone for good. For these reasons, I like to make a copy of the files as it's easier than reinstalling, or extracting files from the CABs on the disc. Then, if something breaks it's easy to go back

All t he files I have saved for the Sims 1 are on discs, can I just copy them over or is there a problem with that method?

Edit: Ah, ok, I see what you're saying. I'll make a backup copy since fighting with Windows 10 installation is not much fun.