Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#226 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:11 PM
Yeah you can't do anything to children sims but only teens but teens do what they want now or days!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#227 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:12 PM
Y, my mate looks 18, hes 6ft 4 but is younger than me!!!? If i cant buy the game he will!
Forum Resident
#228 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:13 PM
here is his e-mail whoever wants it [email protected]
Forum Resident
#229 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:14 PM
I can get my parents to get me any game!
Lab Assistant
#230 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:14 PM
surely you must have an older cousin or sister/brother that can help you out? lol
Forum Resident
#231 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:25 PM
Yeah a brother that is 25!
Lab Assistant
#232 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:20 PM
Well, Sims9287...we all play Sims, so we all sort of disagree...but if we did that and then sent it to the guy, maybe he would back off a bit. There's NOTHING WRONG with the Sims 2. I mean, it's all blurred, nothing is showing, so what's the issue? Well, the answer to that is that there isn't one, and this guy just has wayyy too much free time. I can understand with the other games perhaps...but the Sims?!?!
Ah, the bloody persistance of people...
Forum Resident
#233 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:29 PM
He;s just proabably doing this for his 15 minutes of fame!
Test Subject
#234 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:29 PM
I think The Sims has really taught me lessons in life and if it is going to be rated mature, that is just going to influence other parents to not buy it for their kids. The new generation should know what is right or what is wrong but you can't blame the makers of some games (except GTA) for adult content being put in the games but the modders of the game for adding explict content in the games.
Lab Assistant
#235 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:23 PM
Henry_Walk, that is quite true, unfortunately about today's teen society. I mean TV is worse than the Sims 2 !
Forum Resident
#236 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:34 PM
TV does have more violence and might influence mor people to kill or stuff like rape or that stuff and GTA has influenced anyone yet I haven't seen anyone outside with a minigun blowing up cars killin all the pedistrians in site.
Test Subject
#237 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:38 PM
What I haven't seen in this discussion yet, though I may have missed it, is the point that besides the T-rating, I guess (I'm not from the US and so don't know what ratings it has on the box) it also has the notice that "Game Experience May Change During Online Play". From the ESRB website:

Quote:
Additionally, online games that include user-generated content (e.g., chat, maps, skins) carry the notice "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" to warn consumers that content created by players of the game has not been rated by the ESRB.

In no way are the developers responsible for the content made by third parties. All fansites carry (or should carry) the notice that they are in no way affiliated or endorsed by Maxis/EA. That means Maxis does not endorse them, and so can't censor such a site. They cannot be held responsible for content made by third parties - in that case mister Thompson could as well ban any game with a "babe" in it, as people have always made nude-patches for those (think Tomb Raider and games alike). The only custom content Maxis might be held somewhat responsible for, is whatever ends up on their website (exchange), and afaik they do their best to keep any content that's not appropriate for teens off the exchange.

Just before this news got out, GameSpy's Dave "Fargo" Kosak wrote his weekly PlanetFargo. This week it was all about the GTA San Andreas issue. It shows how crazy this guy has gone: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/635/635629p1.html

Enjoy the read.

Final random thoughts: maybe Jack just wants to do something about this world being so overpopulated, so this is just massive birth control?? First the catholic church claims condoms are bad and unnatural, now he's telling the world, because of his religious beliefs too, shown by his "read the Bible" replies, that sex is bad altogether (no offence to catholics whatsoever btw). I wonder where he came from... Sure he must've seen some genitals when he was born, or brest-feeded, or did his parents blindfold him even before he was born? Would explain his short-sightedness...
Lab Assistant
#238 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:33 PM
Yeah, Henry, but there are the loonies who slip through the cracks...and they can do loads of damage. I do agree that there are inappropriate things in the Sims 2 (like gay sims, they were just in the game, I didn't even create them. why put them in there? if I wanted gay sims, I would make 'em, I'd rather not have that kind of thing shoved in my face more than it is already), but this guy is making an issue out of nothing. Absoloutely nothing.
#239 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:50 PM
I guarantee you the guy on this crusade knows nothing about videogames, and is only attacking EA because someone tapped him on the shoulder and told him mods were third party deals, hence, the crap about EA "cooperating" with these 'sick' people.
Test Subject
#240 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:43 PM
It's really a double standard that he's trying to set up. There is nothing in GTA:SA that you wouldn't see in an R-Rated movie.
If it's in the Godfather, it's a masterpiece. If it's in GTA, it's a travesty.
Honestly, he's succeeded into pissing off gamers as a whole. It doesn't help that his replies are downright abusive.
Hopefully, he'll have a relapse of the Janet Reno incident, and accuse Doug Lowenstein of being an unstable closet lesbian who is being bribed by the mafia. Then he's screwed.
Test Subject
#241 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:57 PM
(AP)

E-mail your questions and comments to GameCore

Here is a link to a cbs news interview with Thompson,
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005...ain676446.shtml

at the end the Vitka encourages all to sound off on their views

"And finally, this is not the end of the series. I'm looking forward to speaking with more authors, more gamers, more lawyers, anyone with a strong opinion.

I think we really need to hear from some politicians, don't you?

Everyone should sound off.

I encourage it.

By William Vitka"
[email protected] <[email protected]>
Test Subject
#242 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by _OMERTA_
I have hated Jack Thompson for many, many years, even me him, and was compelled to beat him to a pulp for being ingorant and stupid

The Sims is harmless fun, he hasn't played the game, nor has he SEEN the Hot Coffee mod, they have their bloody clothes on, and nothing actually happens

GOD DAMNIT, just thinking about this guys retardness makes me wanna jut go up to his face and tell him to shut the hell up

lol if ur talkin bout the hot coffee mod wen u say they have their bloody clothes on, and nothing actually happens, no the guy has his clothes on but the girl doesnt n theyre exactly f***ing. lol. well, if GTA was T rated i wud agree with him but its M rated n i think its fine for 17 year olds to c f***ing ppl. isnt 16 the legal age for sex? hmm... ok watever were not discussing hot coffee here r we? then this site wud be modGTA. oh well dont take it personnaly im tellin it to myself lol:p
Test Subject
#243 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:15 PM
Gah, that makes me mad. Next he can protest Barbie and Ken and other dolls that children come into contact with because you can change their clothes. He can campaign to doll manufactures to superglue clothes to dolls bodies. Oh wait, you can always use solvent to remove the glue and underneath that they're naked! The horror!

Geez. :mean:

For a lawyer, he doesn't seem to know his facts. o_O If he had even played, (and he should have before making his 'claims), he'd know his statements (of realistic genitalia beneath the blur) are erroneous. Also, if he really wanted to upset parents (as his intent seems to be), I think the "WooHoo" aspect is decidedly more risque than the doll-like bodies of uncensored 'naked' sims. Also, the 'romance' sims, don't seem to care who they WooHoo with, as long as its as many as possible-- which I suppose could be a bad moral to send out to any impressionable kiddies and something to complain about. So I find it interesting that he's primarily ranting about this blur, or lack thereof. Seems to me he is feeding off what someone else may have said or told him about the Sims 2, which makes me wonder. Perhaps a parent found their child's realistic nude hacked/modified game, and contacted him. Otherwise, where else would he get his info? Obviously not the game itself.

As for the nude mods and anti-blur patch; I'm twenty-three, I'm a girl, I have a boyfriend, I don't weigh 300 pounds, nor am I a horny teen. I download them. I love the mods, and I thank their creators for making them. I'm an adult, I am normal, and the realistic nudity is my choice. No-one elses. Last I checked, adding that to my game was no-ones business but my own. For me, it makes the game more realistic. If I were a minor, then it wouldn't be up to me, and I would hope my parents would take enough interest in me and my life to make sure I was doing the right thing, or that at very least make sure I was mature enough to handle the nudity (even modified). And you know, some teens are mature enough, even at 13. Some aren't. But blowing it out of proportion is crazy. I think this 'OMG NUDE' paranoia just makes out to be it worse than what it really is. I don't see the big deal. It's like the 'Nipplegate' thing, some people really need to get over it. Especially him and his supporters. If they spent as much energy raising their children and teaching them right from wrong, there'd probably be no problems. But I guess if they do that and something does happen, they'll then have no one to else blame, anymore.

I loved Maxis' reply, though! Thompson's counter-reply seemed to be along the lines of "well, ... the fact it needs to be blurred, means that theres something there to blur." What? Maybe he should add "so there!" That makes no sense. The guy is obviously not all there. I don't think I'll even bother writing to him. There is no way to change the mind of someone on a personal crusade like that. Even faced with facts that disprove him, he skews his earlier words to point to something else, then goes after mod sites.

I don't fear for Maxis, as they've done nothing wrong, but I do fear for places like this and future censorship. If Thompson gets wind of 'Night Life' he'll probably blow an artery condemming it. And, If enough pressure is placed on either Maxis or ISPs to close mod sites, it could mean future problems. I hope not, but never under-estimate stupid people in numbers. Still, if this thread is any indication, we're not going without a fight!

Gosh I talk too much, too. Sorry. You're all probably :snore: Just, I love this place and that article just gets to me. Lol. I'll shut up now.
Lab Assistant
#244 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:14 PM
Lab Assistant
#245 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:37 PM
Yeah! The blockbuster here has not taken Manhunt off their shelves. Esp. with the "end of late fees"! How much more idiotic can the guy get?
Test Subject
#246 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:36 PM
ok, then, they shouldnt allow children to play driving games coz they will want to drive, and steal their parents car n drive it, right? do u all agree with me? n they will go bump the car everywhere right? so which 1 is worse, TS2? or car racing games?
Test Subject
#247 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:33 PM
Just to let everyone know i created a new subdomain on my site http://stopjack.simchoice.com if you want to add your statements let me know and I will make a page for that :p

Thanks for the petition link I shall add that too :p
Test Subject
#248 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:40 PM
I bet this guy takes a shower in his swimsuit to avoid looking at his obviously miniscule penis.

You just know he's trying to compensate for something.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#249 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:45 PM
Folks,

Let's leave this to the laywers and attorneys and general legal people to sort out shall we?

Personal insults against Jack Thompson achieve nothing.

I've seen these kind of things come and go - every so often somebody comes along and says video games are bad and everybody gets up in arms about it and really nothing actually happens.

So, why don't we all get back to the point - making the Sims 2 we all have now the best modded game ever, k?

Regards,
Delphy
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: Stop this.
Page 10 of 10