Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 9:24 PM Last edited by wes_h : 1st Jan 2009 at 5:50 AM. Reason: Add Vista path info
Default Adding Keyboard Shortcuts to MilkShape for Unimesh
Quote:
Important. If you have the box "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" checked in Windows Explorer "Tools\Folder Options\View" you will never see the Application Data subdirectory. By default, this option is checked in Windows XP and Vista.

This is an explanation (not a tutorial) on how to add keyboard shortcuts to MilkShape, covering releases rom (1.7.10 to 1.8.4) and using examples for the plugins from the UniMesh suite. Lessons learned here could be utilized to make shortcuts for other actions.

First, in 1.7.10 the shortcut manager was found on the Tools menu and was called "Shortcut & Plugin Manager". It saved it's results in a file called "shortcuts.ini" that will be found in the installation directory (where the plugins are kept).

Starting in 1.8.0, the shortcut manager was still on the Tools menu, but is nor called "Edit Shortcuts". The editable file it saves is still called "shortcuts.ini", but it is now found in:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\MilkShape 3D 1.x.x\

or for Vista in

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\MilkShape 3D 1.x.x\

Of course, USER_NAME above will vary depending on your computer name, etc. And Vista will resist your initial efforts at accessing the directory until you nuke UAE.

All of the plugins for UniMesh, except the new Vertex Data Merge, should already be listed in the 1.8.0 "Edit Shortcuts" function. However, only two show up in version 1.7.10 and before unless you edit the shortcuts.ini file, because MilkShape reads in only a fixed number of entries and then quits. You will have to add the entries manually and remove enough unused ones to make them show up. We will show how to create and entry later.

Adding a shortcut is pretty easy, provided you know what the filename of the plugin is (minus the .dll part) and what shortcuts are unused and which of those you want to use. You only need to locate the entry, and select the shortcut letter from the drop-down list and click on the appropriate Ctrl, Shift and Alt check-boxes, and click on "Set". If you are doing several, it is not necessary to exit MilkShaoe each time, but you changes will not register until you have closed and restarted the program (thank heavens you don't have to restart the system).

I am placing a list of my personal ideas for shortcuts below:

Code:
msS2UBT1        Ctrl+B    "BoneTool" plugin
msFixWgts       Ctrl+F    Fix underweighted bones plugin
msObjXSplitExp  Shift+E   OBJX Split Exporter plugin
msObjXSplitImp  Shift+I   OBJX Split Importer plugin
msS2MExp        E         UniMesh exporter plugin
msS2MImp        I         UniMesh importer plugin
msSAB4          Shift+G   Selects all 4-assignment vertices
msSGp1          Shift+F   Select duplicate dvertices (seams)
msShowBone2     Shift+2   Show Bone assignment 2
msShowBone3     Shift+3   Show Bone assignment 3
msShowBone4     Shift+4   Show Bone assignment 4
msUWBFlag       Ctrl+U    Underweighted select vertices
msTS2VDM        C         Vertex Data Merge plugin (new)

To put a shortcut for a new plugin into MilkShape requires adding an entry into the shortcuts.ini file.

In 1.8.0, the following line will need to be added:

msTS2VDM=1,C

The "msTS2VDM" is the filename (less the .dll extension), the 1 indicates to show it in the menu (0 hides entries), and the C maps the plugin to the "C" key.

The entry for the BoneTool will look like:

msS2UBT1=1,Ctrl+B

As I said before, you will need to add almost all the entries for the UniMesh plugins by hand in versions 1.7.10 and prior.

<* Wes *>
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2008 at 11:11 PM
Oh, Wes_h, I could kiss you for this, I so wanted a shortcut in Milkshape for the vertex and normals data merge, and never realized the possibility already excisted!!
Hope I can do this in Milkshape 1.8.2 without totally corrupt any files, but my RSI/CPA arm really needs some rest. Thank you so much!!!!
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 2:50 AM
I have Windows 7 Ultimate and the path is the same as the Vista path, just so you all know. ^_^