Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 2:06 PM
Default MiniTutorial: Custom Icons for Accessories
These icons will only show in game and in CAS. They do not showup in body shop.

The zip file contains a pdf of the tutorial.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  How to Use a Custom Icon for Accessories.zip (554.5 KB, 2779 downloads)

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 2:16 PM
Oh, wow, thank you so much for sharing this technique with us, SnowStorm. I got SO excited when I saw the update on S2C with your toddler booties (which are too cute, btw, but the real squealing was over the icons) and I'm delighted you've done a tutorial on it. I skimmed the tutorial and it looks a bit complex but totally doable and well explained. Again, thank you!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 3:15 PM
Oh also this one is based on 1 age, two genders using the same icon. So if you have an accessory file for more than 1 age you will of course have more files to link. Also it assume the screen shot is the same for both genders. I would think it should be possible to have different icons for different ages/genders, by adding additional jpg/png/tga images and set them to different index values before linking.

Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Jan 2007 at 5:54 PM
SnowStorm,I don’t know why, but I didn’t can change default icon on my custom icon. I followed all steps many times (7 times from begin to the end ).I didn’t understand one thing : on a fourth screenshot,where you show how to drop a jpeg/tga/png image to another window,you draw indexes near resourses. Does it mean that I have to add some nombers to these resourses or not? I didn’t add,but may be it is my mistake. Second moment: I have four BINX.How many BINX I have to edit: one,two or all that I have?And last: on screenshots uoy choosed firs mesh overlay XML and first 3DIR.I have three XMOL and nine 3DIR.I choosed first XMOL and first 3DIR,is it right?
“if you have both genders in the same
package.”-does it mean,that I adapted this recolor to two genders changing gender(dtUInteger) 0x00000001 on gender(dtUInteger) 0x00000003 in 3DIDR?

P.S.Sorry if my english terrible,i didn't learn english 7 years
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jan 2007 at 7:15 PM
The 4th screen shot shows you where to get the group id from. You must change the jpg/tga/png's group to be the same as the rest of the package. If you have more than one image (different by age and/or gender) then each image would need a difference instance.

If you mean step 16 then those index numbers show you what you will need to put in on the BINX file. So if you drag the jpg/tga/png into the 3dIR and it's the 5th line, that is index 0x00000004 (starts at 0). You use this number in step 17, where you change the default iconidx from 0x00000000 to 0x00000004. You have to adjust this to your package though, if your 3dir has more or less lines that my example.

As for the 3DIR's, look for the ones that have a Mesh Overlay XML entry in them. Those should be the right ones to update.

For the BINX I'm guessing you need to do all of them.

You don't make any changes to the XMOL's.

Also you may need to delete your cache files before you see the updated icon.

You can post the file here if you can't get it to work.

Test Subject
#6 Old 13th Jan 2007 at 6:27 PM
O,thank you!
Quote:
Also you may need to delete your cache files before you see the updated icon.

I don't know how to delete cache files .I'll post my file tomorrow.I want to learn to change icons
Test Subject
#7 Old 16th Jan 2007 at 6:16 PM
SnowStorm ,I did it!Thank you!
Test Subject
#8 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 2:02 PM
thank you
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 11:29 PM
Ok I'm a little confused. So if I've got 10 3DIR's that have the mesh overlay on them, does that mean I need to add the image to all of those, or just the first 2?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 8:25 AM
mhhh very difficult..is there a new tutorial for change Custom Icons for Accessories?
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 2:55 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 11th Apr 2009 at 6:26 PM.
I don't seem to be able to download the zip file - has this one got lost as part of the file-server failure? The thread isn't marked as such.

EDIT: 'Tis OK - got it. Must have been a glitch.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 5:02 PM
Well, this is causing me headaches. For some reason I cannot get the .png file to show up in the plug-in view box for the 3D ID (step 13 in your tutorial). I've repeated the steps infinitely, the group # are the same, but it doesn't show up. Is it because of a new SimPE that I am missing something? My dialogue screens differ some from the tutorial.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 10:14 PM
Just to clear it up again: you -do- have to drag the jpg into -every- 3IDR that has a Mesh Overlay XML entry, not necessarily just the 1st or 2nd one (or instead of dragging, after you do the first one, just click "add" in the same pane that has the "package" button, if the jpg shows up there pre-filled in for you - much easier if you have to do a whole bunch).