Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 3:09 AM
Default In need of help with my foot
I could use some help if anyone can help me,

I have been trying to make my own mesh. I am trying to turn my foot into a shoe, so's to speak. But I cant figure out how to make the heel. I have my foot pretty much done. Here is the pic if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks
Screenshots
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 3:19 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 7th Aug 2006 at 4:02 AM.
That is, quite possibly, the best thread title ever. I know it's fitting and applicable and shouldn't be funny, but it is, oh, it is.

Looks like you need to get another shape in there. Nice little primitive. Try a cylinder or a cube, then adjust the top to the right tilt of the foot, deform it so it's pointy or thick or however you want the heel to look... A cylinder will probably be a bit more versatile as you can have several stacks without having to subdivide. You'll also need to fix up the uv map for your shape... with a cylinder, the sides will come mapped - you only have to scale 'em down to fit some unused part of your mesh, off to the sides or toward the center bottomish, between the two halves between the legs. Probably won't have to map the bottom of the cylinder, as it'll just be a solid colour of the bottom edge of whatever your texture is, and won't really show much unless a sim's relaxing on a bed in heels or whatever.

Oh, also, just remembered... a lot of the time Milkshape wants to create primitives, especially cylinders, with no/incorrect normals. When you create the shape and get in place, select just the cylinder, and run Align Normals on it (msAlignNormals tool, linked in the sticky at the top of this forum that says, erm, something about GMDC plugins... :D) to fix that up.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:25 AM
I laughed too after I posted my thread

Anyway..........

How do I get the cylinder in there?? I'm still a beginner. I know how to do the basics using milkshape; moving the vertex, and adding obj. files. Which, I did try using a heel off Al's shoe mesh, but it wont look normal, like apart of the foot.

Thanks for the advice
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:39 AM
Heh, well, I'd suggest you take a look at some basic Milkshape tutorials if you're not comfortable with the general process of 3d modeling. The Milkshape help file actually has several basic modeling tutorials (I know there's one on making an airplane) that you might want to go through, and there's a lot of them linked on the official Milkshape site, too. I know you may not want to make an airplane (or whatever other specific projects they cover), but the basic concepts of creating any 3d model are essentially the same, and it should help you a lot in gaining the basic modeling skills you'll need (and adding a primitive is pretty basic). You'll also want to take a look at the information Tiggerypum has on adjusting UV mapping in Milkshape to make sure you get that new primitive textured properly.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 12:34 PM
Thank you very much!! I appreciate the advice & will do some reading on that tutorial as well.
Gee, someone should put all the tutorials together on this website and make a book!! All proceeds to support this site. My computer room wouldnt look so messy w/ all my tutorials laying around my desk.