Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 4:39 AM
Default Have you ever liked a band that everyone else hates?
Sometimes it's "cool" to be rogue, even if everyone thinks your music tastes are weird. Sometimes we like a band or song that most people don't like or really really hate. (For instance, someone would say they like listening to Brittany Spears, which would get you lots of weird looks from other people).

I know a lot of people get very annoyed when someone mentions the band Dragonforce, mainly because of Guitar Hero, Through the fire and flames, and how 11 year olds think they're so cool because they can pass that song on expert. Or people will tell you that dragonforce fakes their songs, they suck live, or that all of their songs song the same.

I actually do listen to dragonforce from time to time, and yes, there's other songs besides TTFAF. Personally, I think Dragonforce's best album is their first, Valley of the damned. It actually sounds pretty cool, and there's plenty of variety between the different songs.

Whatever, I made my thoughts regarding Dragonforce sound so boring... haha

I just hope we don't end up having a flame war over music. :D
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 5:36 AM
I don't know who Dragonforce is but ok? I have a feeling they wouldn't appeal to me anyway though.

most people? not that I know of but I do love the Jonas Brothers which a majority of people do not like them now.
they had popularity back in 08 but now I feel like a lot of people just don't care anymore or can't stand them to no end.
I like some of their music but I have to say I admire them more as human beings (I've "followed" them enough to be able to say that) than musicians.

oh and just because you mentioned Britney Spears, I love her music too (have been a fan of her since the beginning). she's my fav female artist..just wish she would sing live like she used to and I wouldn't pay to see her concerts for that reason
Theorist
#3 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 9:04 AM
When thinking of rock music to listen to, often it is Incubus. This is because their sound doesn't come across as a typical alternative posse ( at least not to me ) and they are hard to classify because of their exploration in music. I imagine they have many haters now because some of their songs in newer albums are ballads. It contradicts the whole 'rebel' image, but maybe that's for the best.
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 12:40 PM
It would be more of a I hate some bands everyone else likes for me or I like bands no one else has heard of. I abhor Pink Floyd I find their music sinister and evil most people cannot understand that.
Alchemist
#5 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
It would be more of a I hate some bands everyone else likes for me or I like bands no one else has heard of. I abhor Pink Floyd I find their music sinister and evil most people cannot understand that.

Same here. Although it's not exactly hate, I just never got the appeal of The Beatles. For most people it's considered revolutionary, to me it reminds me of something Bill and Ted might have come up with in their garage
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakesecaravdis
I don't know who Dragonforce is but ok? I have a feeling they wouldn't appeal to me anyway though.

most people? not that I know of but I do love the Jonas Brothers which a majority of people do not like them now.
they had popularity back in 08 but now I feel like a lot of people just don't care anymore or can't stand them to no end.
I like some of their music but I have to say I admire them more as human beings (I've "followed" them enough to be able to say that) than musicians.

oh and just because you mentioned Britney Spears, I love her music too (have been a fan of her since the beginning). she's my fav female artist..just wish she would sing live like she used to and I wouldn't pay to see her concerts for that reason

This. I'm a huge Jonas fan, and all of my friends make fun of me for it. I feel like it's more popular to hate them than to like them, and a lot of people are embarrassed to admit they like them. My friend Alex told me he liked a song on the radio, but didn't know who sang it. I laughed and told him it was the Jonas Brothers, and he was mortified.
Instructor
#7 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 9:11 PM
Do you mean in general, or amongst friends? Because my friends make fun of me constantly because I LOVE, LOVE and LOVE the singer Peaches at the moment. In fact, since having to do a complete reinstall of everything on my computer recently, Peaches-I Feel Cream is the only album I've bothered replacing so far.

I'm not a fan of the band Tool (or their alter ego A Perfect Circle) but my buddy plays it constantly when I'm around him. When listening to it, I almost start to feel like the lead singer.. "WHHHY CAN'T I NOT BE SOBER?!?!"
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:10 AM
I like Nickleback AND Barry Manilow. Yes, I'm old. But I also like Kings of Leon and Lady Gaga and Missy Elliot. Does that make me cool?
Theorist
#9 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grumpy_otter
I like Nickleback AND Barry Manilow. Yes, I'm old. But I also like Kings of Leon and Lady Gaga and Missy Elliot. Does that make me cool?

Absolutely not. You are ignoring what is hot and, instead, dropping off the checklist and listening to what you like according to you without first researching whether or not it is cool to other music lovers. You are selecting your music for personal enjoyment, rather than selecting chosen material that will openly declare your music taste to others, which 'side' you are on. You can't do that! What you are doing is very uncool.
Scholar
#10 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:24 AM
I like classical and new age piano quite a lot. I'm one of 'those folks' who will actually listen to soundtrack cd's. One of my favorite songs is "Ilia's Theme" from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I don't just like instrumental stuff, though. I also like various kinds of rock (including alternative and punk), some pop/dance music (Lady Gaga, a little bit of other kinds of dance music), 50's pop, old jazz and blues, etc. Basically, I like a little bit of everything.

Oh, and I love sad music. My friends can't listen to the stuff I listen to without going mad, but I can listen to a whole playlist full of sad, slow songs and enjoy it.

I hate Pink Floyd, too, but not for the same reason. I think they're instruments have this awesome dark sound, but the guy's voice just kills the mood. And everyone seems to love the song "Money", but I find it one of their less talented, more banal pieces.

I like Nickleback AND Barry Manilow.

I like Barry Manilow, too. Most people would find it odd that I like him, considering that I'm 19. I also like one Nickelback album, Silver Side Up, but I can't stand their newer stuff.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dancehallsim
This. I'm a huge Jonas fan, and all of my friends make fun of me for it. I feel like it's more popular to hate them than to like them, and a lot of people are embarrassed to admit they like them. My friend Alex told me he liked a song on the radio, but didn't know who sang it. I laughed and told him it was the Jonas Brothers, and he was mortified.

mhmm I don't like showing that I'm a Jonas fan in public a lot because I'd be embarrassed. my mom's bf wanted to buy this Jonas bag for me and I was like "nuh uh that's social suicide" I just feel silly having one especially at my age even if people I would pass through on the street probly do think I'm a teenager anyway.
I have no problem saying that I am one on the internet sometimes though..kinda weird because the internet is probly more ruthless. I guess it's just part of me being shy cuz I don't say a lot about myself in public anyway.
my mom has this thing she does with her coworker. when he says that he's hot, she says "you're cold you go around like you know" he gets agitated. he can't stand them and neither can most of her coworkers. I guess that's to be expected right but idk I always thought people of that age group didn't care either way.

guys (straight guys at least) especially seem to have a problem with them but the interesting thing is my ex bf, although he hasn't listened to much of them thinks they're pretty cool. I had him listen to World War 3 last time he came over and I could tell that he really loved it

also my mom's bf's middle son can't stand their music but he thinks they're cool dudes.
Inventor
#12 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 6:07 AM
I'm also one of those people who finds myself hating a band that everyone else seems to love more than the reverse.

Personally I don't care if this or that person thinks my musical selection is "in" or not, I just like what I like, and tend to give others the room to do the same. Why should it come as some kind of personal insult to you if I don't like the exact same thing? Why the hell can't I just say that they're not to my taste and leave it at that--it's not like I said they sucked or anything just because I'm not interested in them, or because I don't think that they are a gift from god.

Honestly, I didn't really like the Jonas Brothers when they were big, not because I disliked their music (just wasn't to my taste) or them as people, but because I hated how inescapable they were. The radio, tv, ads in stores or on billboards, magazines, I saw them every damn time I turned around. Then you get the stupid rabid fans that take it as a personal insult if you don't worship them as well. I just hate having things constantly shoved in my face and people telling me that I should love it.

Maybe a lot of the times that's where some of the hate comes from nowadays, that it's a backlash from people who got sick of having something crammed down their throats all the time, even though it's really more of a case of hating the media machine than the bands themselves, but most people don't seem to want to put forth the effort to see the difference.
Of course, in some cases the reason can also be a bit more shallow, and people use the excuse of it being "old" rather than trendy as a reason to dislike it. Unless of course it reaches the statis of a "classic," then it's perfectly okay to like it again!
Instructor
#13 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
I like classical and new age piano quite a lot. I'm one of 'those folks' who will actually listen to soundtrack cd's. One of my favorite songs is "Ilia's Theme" from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I LOVE movie soundtracks--but mine are all still on vinyl, lol. Try Blade Runner, and Jaws. Those are my two favorites!

Quote:
I like Barry Manilow, too. Most people would find it odd that I like him, considering that I'm 19.

Yay Barry! And 19? Seriously? I'm impressed. I was a moron when i was 19.
Scholar
#14 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 11:36 PM
I LOVE movie soundtracks--but mine are all still on vinyl, lol. Try Blade Runner, and Jaws. Those are my two favorites!

I love the soundtrack to Bladerunner. It's got that dark 80's music feel and it adds so much to the movie.

Quote:
Yay Barry! And 19? Seriously? I'm impressed. I was a moron when i was 19.

I actually started listening to him when I was about 10 or 11. My parents introduced me to his music. I was kind of a weird child in that I actually liked a lot of the same music my parents liked. While all my classmates were listening to Brittany Spears and Backstreet Boys, I was listening to Elton John. :D
Field Researcher
#15 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:24 AM
Vocaloid XD
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 4:19 AM
Lady Gaga. Since most of my friends are the hypocritical people who loathe all things popular because its "cool" I get alot of shit for it.

But In general Im weird, for a 17 year old anyway.
I listen to alot of older music. Nat king cole, Bill holiday, Frank Sinatra. Yea. But the needle on my phonograph broke off so I havent listened to much lately. :/
I also really like techno. Lol. The less vocals the better.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 5:24 AM
I think that hating any type of music is hipocracy on the soul. Where would we be without music, art, drama, dance, inventions?

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
I think that hating any type of music is hipocracy on the soul. Where would we be without music, art, drama, dance, inventions?

The arts are certainly important to our society and our psyche, but where would we be without the variety of tastes in various art forms expressed by different people? Some people like Renaissance art, others like Modern art. Some like rap, some rock, some country. Some prefer gothic architecture, others classical, others modern.

On a basic level, most people prefer similar kinds of art, aesthetically speaking. Music has rules that usually must be followed for the resulting music to sound appealing. For example, playing two notes that are one half-step away from one another generally sounds bad when taken out of context and only sounds good in certain very specific contexts. On the other hand, most people don't consider the adherence to music theory when appreciating music. While aspects like rhythm and melody may appeal to nearly everyone, the lyrics and meaning of the song can impact its popularity greatly. Lots of people don't like emo music because they think it's too whiny. Lots of people don't like gangster rap for it's depiction of lawlessness and amorality. Lots of people don't like pop for it's themes of sexual promiscuity. Some people don't care about the theme of the song, others focus on it even more than the musical qualities.
Scholar
#19 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 8:50 AM
DJ Bobo - I really like their songs ('Vampires Are Alive', 'Amazing Life', 'Creature of the Night', 'I Believe'), but many people that I know either don't like them or never heard for them. But I don't really give much attention to it, if someone doesn't like them, it's OK, as long as he/she isn't telling bad things about them.
And that's how I look on the other's opinion, if I don' like some singer, I would just say 'I don't like it', but that doesn't mean that I will refuse to talk to person who listen music that I hate.

The end of magical Pegasaus's era through the world of sims
Field Researcher
#20 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Absolutely not. You are ignoring what is hot and, instead, dropping off the checklist and listening to what you like according to you without first researching whether or not it is cool to other music lovers. You are selecting your music for personal enjoyment, rather than selecting chosen material that will openly declare your music taste to others, which 'side' you are on. You can't do that! What you are doing is very uncool.

I sincerely hope your being sarcastic. It's uncool to conform weither its to mainstream, the underground, or the unpopular. Those who think for themselves are cool .

I do listen to some bands which most North Americans haven't heard of and I got a few guilty pleasures of my own I have Barbie Girl which I ripped on for and I have the parody of the song with the gay guys.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Scholar
#21 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 8:42 PM
I don't find Nickelback to be all of that bad, well okay I've heard some of the newest stuff (that Rockstar song) and I wasn't very fond of it, and I know that all of their songs sound the same, but some of it I do like.

I also don't find Linkin Park to be all of that bad. I still listen to some of their older stuff.

Green Day, too. I used to be a Green Day hater myself, but once I started judging them for myself I started to appreciate them. There are a few songs I really don't care for at all, but there are quite a few I do like (Basket Case, Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance), Wake Me Up When September Ends for my favorites)

Actually pretty much every band I listen to is hated by some large group, but I'm just listing those, since they're newer and therefore don't get over-credited just for being old. (because old is always better, right? Total bull.)

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 8:55 PM
Cake. Everyone I know just thinks they were an annoying 90's fad- maybe so, but I like them.

One of their more pop-y songs was on a new iPod nano commercial. (short skirt, long jacket)

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Test Subject
#23 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 9:11 PM

YEA BABY TUNEAGE lol i love all the above

But i have to admit i love New kids on the block as well as yes yes i know SHAME Millie Vanillie i know they mouthed their songs but they are just so groooovie. Oh and throw in Vanilla Ice and you have a 80's dance party OH YEA bring back the good old days.
I do also like a bit of rammstein as well.

but liking or loving different sorts of music.. thats what makes you a individual
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 2:56 PM
I abhor Pink Floyd I find their music sinister and evil most people cannot understand that.

HAHAHAH. Pink Floyd, evil and sinister. That is hilarious!