Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2024 at 11:00 PM Last edited by topp : 30th Mar 2024 at 11:17 PM.
Default All of simler90's Mod Descriptions - The Ultimate TL;DR Version!
I think the people who will find this the most useful are the ones who are interested in getting one of the big mods, such as the Business Mod and Romance Standards, but feel overwhelmed when trying to read through the many update notes. Simler90 describes all the changes made in an update, which makes sense when coming back to the mod to update it, but could feel like too much noise when approaching the mod for the first time. An example are the following updates of the Business Mod:

Quote: Originally posted by simler90
UPDATE 5: (...) the game now also prevents the owner and employees from restocking harvestables and craftables if the owner or family of the owner is unselectable, because these objects are restocked from the owner's inventory, and if the owner is unselectable, they won't be making any money

(...)

UPDATE 11: In UPDATE 5, I made it so that the owner and employees would not be able to restock craftables and harvestables if the owner or family of the owner is unselectable. I now found out that Maxis did think ahead and added a feature which makes it so that whenever a craftable or harvestable is sold when the owner or family of the owner is unselectable, the game returns the craftable/harvestable back to the inventory of the owner. So, this update reverts the change I made in UPDATE 5

(...)

UPDATE 13: In UPDATE 11, I said that Maxis thought ahead and added a feature which makes it so that the game gives any harvestables or craftables customers purchase back to the owner when the owner or family of the owner is unselectable. I am taking that back. They did not think ahead. (...) This update fixes this, and makes it so that the game properly gives any craftables or harvestables back to the owner if the owner or family of the owner is unselectable.

(...)

UPDATE 15: I realized that harvestables/craftables still had a problem. (...)

In my take of the description, all of the "restocking of harvestable items" problem boils down to just one (of multiple) points that this mod addresses:

Quote: Originally posted by topp
  • fix: business inventory of harvestables/craftables now properly managed (if owner's family isn't the active family and the employees restock the harvestables/craftables, none are taken from the owner's inventory, because OFB lots don't get saved in such case)

The vagueness of my descriptions somewhat resembles Pescadoesqueism, where the mod would be outlined in a number of bulletin points. I have however refrained from adding quirky remarks and the premium dictionary content to the mod descriptions (i.e. you won't be seeing words such as fambly and babby, or descriptions such as "stops scum from trying to dine with your Sims"). Sometimes though - only sometimes - I wish I had left some of it in.

Have fun exploring new mods!
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#2 Old 30th Mar 2024 at 11:00 PM
A word of caution, there's a lot of text hidden behind this button. If you wish to re-hide this again without scrolling a million, use CTRL+F and search for "topofpost," which should bring you to this sentence (given that no one types this in the replies). Then press the spoiler button again to hide everything.

Inventor
#3 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 12:50 AM
That author is a novelist in his descriptions. Lol.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 1:59 AM
I'm exactly the type of person this post was made for! Seriously though, thanks so much for this. It's super helpful.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 9:51 AM
Thank you!

Great idea and a lot of hard work put in here - appreciated.

I think this qualifies for a sticky post.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 10:59 AM
Thank you @topp ! This makes it so much easier, I was always reluctant to use these mods because I wondered whether the code was as messy as the documentation!
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I wondered whether the code was as messy as the documentation
I've no idea whether the code is optimized. I just love reading a quick line of what the mod does, plop it into my game and watch my Sims behave differently!

Seeing how complex some mods' changelogs are, I got a firm impression that simler90 is excellent at reading code and arranging it to be as Maxis-matching or RL-matching as possible. It's just the non-optimization of production Maxis code is what has possibly made them use the mod descriptions as a vent diary (e g. Business Mod). Others I see to be a product of true passion, for example the TV Watch mod. I can easily see myself being too excited not to share that I've learned a better way of determining line-of-sight, or in case of some other mod, that Set To Next neighbor primitive is not an optimal tool to cycle through all Sims if you ever have a big neighborhood etc.

But there really should have (also) been a short "oh, you're 14 and bored/35 and busy/66 and tired, and also annoyed at some game behavior X? This mod just does Y."
Instructor
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2024 at 12:47 PM
Seconding a sticky request! (Also bookmarking this just in case.)
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2024 at 11:52 PM
So it sounds like Romantic Standards replaces ACR?

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 4th Apr 2024 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
So it sounds like Romantic Standards replaces ACR?

I think, basically, it's either/or. ACR has a lot more options and is somewhat customizable, but it also pushes romantic interactions much harder and takes a lot more managing. (Also you will want to have the ACR Controller on all your Playable lots, and if you ever remove the mod, it's a nuisance to get rid of all the Controllers - they turn into inert stacks of phone books and have to be deleted with MoveObjects On.)

Romantic Standards just operates in the background, doesn't push as hard (though you will see more romantic actions than in a game with no mods), and is somewhat less predictable/controllable as to who will/won't do what with whom.

But no, you can't use them both together, so it's a question of which one is closer to your preferred playing style.
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Apr 2024 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
I think, basically, it's either/or. ACR has a lot more options and is somewhat customizable, but it also pushes romantic interactions much harder and takes a lot more managing. (Also you will want to have the ACR Controller on all your Playable lots, and if you ever remove the mod, it's a nuisance to get rid of all the Controllers - they turn into inert stacks of phone books and have to be deleted with MoveObjects On.)

Romantic Standards just operates in the background, doesn't push as hard (though you will see more romantic actions than in a game with no mods), and is somewhat less predictable/controllable as to who will/won't do what with whom.

But no, you can't use them both together, so it's a question of which one is closer to your preferred playing style.

There is a stripped down version of ACR if you want to auto socials but want to use romantic standards or midge the tree's version of it
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#12 Old Yesterday at 1:56 PM
Stickied! Thanks for making this btw! It reads much neater, sort of like a patch note
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old Today at 8:33 AM
Exactly what I was aiming for Thanks!