Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 2:48 PM
Wow, i've not had problem with my sims2 games not since i got a gforce graphics card.

strange problems.....
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 5:36 PM
well, i managed to update my drivers via omega eventually. i had to go back to the ati driver my game seemed to like the best then install the latest omega one which was issued a couple of days ago and which supports laptops
i still have the neighbourhood view glitches but better ingame graphics :D
don't know what else i can do aside from buying a better laptop, which i won't be able to afford for a long time
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#78 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 9:33 PM
I think it maybe the lots themselves that are corrupt.
Scholar
#79 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
I think it maybe the lots themselves that are corrupt.

yes it may well be
in my case it seems to be altering terrains which corrupts them, heh never really thought of it from that viewpoint
but it doesn't answer the question of why it should cause a problem to some people and not others
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#80 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 10:47 PM
And why updating video drivers doesn't help.
Scholar
#81 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
And why updating video drivers doesn't help.

seemingly no
Inventor
#82 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 10:56 PM
Riotmaker: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 here and I've had a few problems, mainly with milkshape. The older driver for this card was causing crashes in milkshape and at one point killed milkshape all together! I uploaded to the latest beta driver and all good so while certain brands are good, there's no guarantee on any one that it won't either a)conflict with something IN your pc b) conflict with something ON your pc (software) or c) I forgot what c was. But you get my point, I hope. My card usually performs fantastic, 256 mb on it sure helps.

By the way, it is a good card though.. So is Radeon

xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Inventor
#83 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 11:33 PM
I found a tiny tad piece of information at the sims 2 site about radeon.
Here's what I found, not that it's much but may help some that come in here with a radeon and are having troubles.

This was written on the Sims 2 Patch Page:
Improved performance with Radeon X800 cards. Users continuing to experiencing problems should update to the 4.10 driver.

http://thesims2.ea.com/update/ (the link takes you to a patch selection page that has more information listed under each patch)

Just adding it just in case since I saw a few people mention graphic card issues, etc.
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Scholar
#84 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XTS
I found a tiny tad piece of information at the sims 2 site about radeon.
Here's what I found, not that it's much but may help some that come in here with a radeon and are having troubles.

This was written on the Sims 2 Patch Page:
Improved performance with Radeon X800 cards. Users continuing to experiencing problems should update to the 4.10 driver.

http://thesims2.ea.com/update/ (the link takes you to a patch selection page that has more information listed under each patch)

Just adding it just in case since I saw a few people mention graphic card issues, etc.
xts

i think they must mean the 5.10 catalyst driver
Inventor
#85 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 10:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Loverat
Like you I believe it is somehow related to terrains - I find them buggy and nasty and a couple I have consistently crash my game if I try and use them. I wish I had a magic fix it for you. It seems for some reason your pc just doesn't like some of the objects perhaps. =(
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...0370#post550370

I found that in this thread http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...ighlight=stairs . Hmmm is all I'm thinking right now but it's something to share I thought.

xts

ps. sorry it wasn't more.

Inventor
#86 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 7:05 AM
Insight?? I found this thread about water levels and if you mess with them around the edges it can change your water level.
http://website.lineone.net/%7Eandre...deTutorial1.htm

Maybe that has some insight?
Hope so!
How's everyone?
xts

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#87 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 3:18 PM
Thats happened to me before. After I change the clipping of the neighborhood camera.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:04 PM
Heh . . . you should see my neighborhood view in Veronaville if you those screenshots are something (has been this way since I installed Nightlife . . . well, actually when I installed Nightlife, it deleted all my neighborhoods but I had backed them up so all I did was plug them back in, but then I had a very wonky Veronaville view, and my one custom neighborhood apparently does the same thing). It'll appear fine until I roll over the houses. Then everything disappears. *LOL!* Oh, I had to turn off the camera drift because of the BLINDING WHITE AND BLUE light that would appear after it loaded and crash my game. :^) Even when I removed my custom camera option this happened . . . ) Again, I have to stress the major problems only happen in my Veronaville and to a lesser extent in my custom 'hood.

Anywho, I haven't been able to fix it. I think I know what is causing the problem, but my theory doesn't apply to why it's happening in the custom one. I have lots and LOTS of custom plants items in a good number of my Veronaville lots, and I think I went over some polygon limit or something. I can't even play with neighborhood view on in these lots, because when I click on a lot to play the entire house, the Sims on the lot, and the button panel (sometimes) disappears, and it looks like how it does in my wonky neighborhood view. I can play it normally as long as I have neighborhood view off and everything else concerning what you see around the lot off.

When I first tried it out, I thought it was my custom camera settings causing the problem, but I removed it and put the originals back; however, that didn't fix it, so I rooted that out. Then I removed all the non-Nightlife hacks I had (and I only have 9 now that are Nightlife compatible) but still, nothing. THEN I tried playing with custom content disabled but the neighborhood still looked like that. :^P And of course, I had to delete all the stuff that was custom because it turned it into other objects (on the lots.) That was a pain in the . . . however, I had ANOTHER problem with Sims so I had to dump the whole thing even after getting it working. :^P

So back to square one, I plopped my saved Veronaville back in there and corrected the Sim issue (had to do with exporting Sims with SimsPE from the game . . . ) but again, the stupid neighborhood and lot problem was still there with the added bonus of VERY blurry graphics most of the time (yay!). I gave up on trying to get my neighborhood back to looking normal. (I may just delete the entire thing and start fresh . . . I have saved my most important Sims and lots but I hate the idea of having to rebuild and refurnish houses . . . bleh.) Is there a cheat that lets you just delete everything on a lot? Like objects (including plants?) . . . Could use that . . . then at least I could save the house structure and put them in my Sims bin . . .

So far, this has only happened in Veronaville and my custom 'hood. Pleasantville seems find, and I haven't looked at Strangetown yet. I hope it's okay. *LOL!*

I've updated my drivers to the most recent one put out by ATI which was just like a couple days ago (I'm focusing on trying to fix the blurriness . . . it's somewhat better but not perfect, however, it will probably go away once I start all over again.) I downloaded the NL patch, of course. I updated my hacks accordingly . . . I have certain settings off or custom on my video card(as some people here and on the BBS suggested for the blurriness), and that improved it, but nothing wants to fix my crappy looking neighborhoods. After updating my driver the last time, I can't change my refresh rate or color options without crashing the game (this used to improve the blurriness and actually made the neighborhood reappear albeit briefly on occasion.)

My specs:

ATI Radeon 9800 w/ 128 mb (not sure if it's Pro or not . . . The chip type info in DirectX says: 9800 PRO AGP, though it doesn't say "pro" anywhere else)
DirectX 9.0c
Pentium 4 3.00 ghz
1.022 mb RAM
1024 x 768, 32 bit color, windowed (I never play full screen)
75 hz refresh rate

So here are the terrific screenshots. Looks like a tornado swept through: no trees or other props (however, the rocks are still there for some reason . . . ), no water, no cars, no houses, no plumbobs over occupied lots (that's fun when you're trying to find a completely empty lot to put Sims in) just the ground and the floor textures are visible, although the water ON the lots seems visible in the picture, normally it's not . . . . Also, the music stutters horribly when this 'hood is loading (I always think it's gonna crash) FUN! I'll even throw one in of how the lot looks if I try to play a lot with neighborhood view on . . .

Good luck on trying to solve this dilemma!

Edit: Bah, that first picture is a bit messed (didn't paste right). My game doesn't show up like that. *LOL!* But still, you get the idea.
Screenshots

Back playing Sims 2 after 10 years . . .
Scholar
#89 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:37 PM
Avialle
latest drivers don't necessarily bring about an improvement, i've found. i tried them and had to go back to earlier ones
then i tried omegadrivers.net and downloaded their stuff, as it supports my laptop ATI system as well as proper graphics cards
i still have my neighbourhood problems, but my game runs a lot better overall. i'm starting not to care what the hood looks like anymore. after all, i don't play it, its just the portal to my lots

however, it looks like something else has corrupted your game files for that neighbourhood is my guess. unfortunately i can't think what at the moment. i'll have a search round and a think and get back if i think of anything or find anything

have you been to Bairys site? thats a mine of useful info and his pages have helped me out on occasions
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 12:53 AM
Bairy's site? Do you have the link, anelca?

About the drivers, yeah . . . you have a point, but . . . it's kind of late now, isn't it? The one I have now seems okay . . . *shrugs.*

Thanks for the suggestions, though. ;^)

Scholar
#91 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 1:21 AM Last edited by anelca : 18th Nov 2005 at 1:28 AM.
try the technical issues thread and see if your particular problem crops up there
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=243

Bairy has posted a lot there and includes a link to his site in his signature

about your drivers...too late for what?
you can roll back to an earlier one, or uninstall the one you have and install a different one.
with the omega driver i have the option to do all sorts of stuff, like change refresh rate and so forth but it doesn't always work, but i suspect it's because i have a laptop and therefore a pared down graphics card
another thing you could try is updating your BIOS. i know how to do mine from my manufacturers site but you'd probably have to do a bit of research on how to do yours
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 5:23 PM
Where would you go to find old drivers? ATI always makes you uninstall your old ones before updating. Are they still on the computer? I just thought they got deleted . . . *shrugs.* That's the issue I have I guess . . . I mean, I know I could rollback to the last one I had, but . . . But the thing is, I don't think it's a driver issue. When I installed Nightlife, I didn't update the driver first or anything. I just installed it and voĆ­la, the problem was there after plugging my old neighborhoods back in . . . well, actually it was quite worse at first (bright white and blue light, no buttons, and then it'd crash).

I have no clue how to update the BIOS. My luck I'd probably mess something major up then my entire PC wouldn't work anymore. *LOL!*

When this problem first started, I checked everywhere here and on the official BBS for any inference to anyone who had a similar problem to me, but couldn't find anything . . . This thread is probably the closest I've found so far. But I'll take another look. Thanks again, anelca. Will make a point to check his website . . .

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#93 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 7:34 PM
Avialle, you could try a third part site. They often have older version for download.
Scholar
#94 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 8:38 PM
avialle
go to www.ati.com
click on downloads and drivers button
then on the left hand side look for previous drivers under windows xp, click on it and it will take you to a list of previous ones
yes you will probably need to uninstall the one you have now
or
go to www.omegadrivers.net
look under radeon then your operating system. there will be a link to a read me type of page telling you what their drivers support and which versions of radeon graphics cards. you can install the latest drivers for radeon and it will be supported by omega drivers. as i said i have a world of options crop up most of which i can't use, haha
but my game has run a good deal better since installing it
you install at your own risk, of course. i can only tell you what difference its made for me
Inventor
#95 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 11:32 PM
avialle, I don't recommend updating bios unless you absolutely need to! That can render your system into an unusable state if you are not careful.

Definitely could be a driver issue though. Great thinking. Anelca here, I believe, is the driver expert of this thread lol.

Best to ya
xts

Scholar
#96 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 11:45 PM
dunno about expert lol
just is what i did

yeah i agree about the bios if you don't know what you are doing. i took a risk doing mine but it actually was straightforward, and i've done it a couple of times now. but i'm a bit of a risk taker where my system is concerned, its the only way i learn how to do anything lol
Inventor
#97 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 12:04 AM
Me too anelca.. Me too. I built mine.. I recall tinkering with bios long ago. Now if it doens't bother me, I don't fix it. lol

I think you're the expert. Those who have to tinker with something the most usually become an expert in the process.

(let me tell you something about that that may make you laugh)
I took a brainbench test some time back on printers for OS (I think it was window's power user test) and I scored HIGH on printers part of the test. Know why? I was currently trying to get mine to work! Guess what else? I never got it to work. lol
I did great on the test though So that's what I mean. You can learn it and help others but it doesn't mean it will help you. lol

xts

Page 4 of 4