Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2013 at 5:09 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Feb 2014 at 8:31 PM.
Default Les Miserables
Les Miserables
Inspired by "Sit Back and Watch" and "Asylum"
Who likes to make themselves miserable, than complain to YOU? Unless you know a teenager, it's got to be a SIM. So become a GOOD Sim-God, and give them free will. They say misery loves company, so what's more miserable than a group of Sims? You know they want it, they're so GOOD at it!
Yes, misery is it's own reward, so earn a point everytime they are miserable. I may even grant you a Godness license, if you follow my pointless regulations and arbitrary point system (like any government agency requires). On the other hand, the system might not even work. On the other other hand who cares.

CREATE: 2 men and 2 women, unrelated. One boy and one girl - attach them to whoever. Give some thought to personalities, attractions, and aspirations; they will effect things like wanting children, cleaning, and the all-important desire to cook. Move them onto any lot; use any money cheats to build anything you want. You can give them anything you want at any time. NOTE: no fire alarm, except outside. No burgler alarm. No deleting mail (the repo man is your friend!).

RECOMMENDED MODS/CHEATS:
1) ACR will let THEM decide to form relationships and have babies. If you have this, set your gender preferrences as soon as they move in (and set everything else however you want - jealousy, fertility,etc). If you DON'T have ACR, set everyone's gender preferrence by haveing them flirt with --whoever.
2) Something to keep kids from being taken away. Babies and toddlers can't die, so their misery is OK. Kids won't starve even if no one is cooking, as long as they have a bake oven. I have a "no social worker" mod, some delete or have a "no-homework" mod. No, you don't HAVE to have babies - but having them opens up a whole new world of misery (do I hear an "Amen" from the parents out there?) So I encourage it by giving you lotta points for having babies (considering how easy it is for a pregnant person to starve).
3)Toddler beds - so they can put themselves to bed. I can only stand so much of the little cutties' tears!
4)A cheat to allow big families, if you want to shake it up a notch.

THE POINT: is to create BAD MEMORIES. {with some exceptions}. WIth that in mind, I give you lots of options: pets that run away or get taken away is likely - a good thing if it creates bad memories. Anyone can get a job (including pets); they aren't needed for money, but will keep someone from starving, and they are good for good OR bad memories. Remember, you want to give them the freedom to be just as miserable as they want, you DON'T want them dead!

PLAY: Except for controlling toddlers (which doesn't get you much), and pets, you will not be controlling ANYONE! {with a few exceptions}. You CAN look at aspirations and fears, and supply either as you see fit. In other words, you can buy a car, but you can't tell them to study for the advancement they want. You can supply them with any learning stuff you want, even addictive fun stuff - but you can't TELL them to use it (or to stop!). You CAN change the channel to "Yummy channel" if someone is watching it already (I haven't figured out what/who determines what channel is on anyway). You can provide coffee/cocoa but direct someone to make it ONLY ONCE.
>>>No maid, nanny, gardener, repairman (you can replace an UNUSEABLE broken thing). No exterminator unless EVERYONE is VERY sick.
EXCEPTIONS ----- If someone WANTS the baby, and has already developed their OWN relationship, you can direct them to try for baby.
------ if someone wants a pet, they can call to adopt. If a child wants a pet they ARE able to buy one at a pet store. You can then tell that person to fill a pet bowl - only this one time!
----- you can buy birds, fish, or rats whenever you want, and fill their food ONE TIME. Sure, they'll starve, but maybe someone will have a bad memory (a GOOD thing).
----- you can have someone tell a pet to make babies, if they have somehow created enough friendship to do so. You can add a full pet bowl for every new pet. There are points for having pets - and an increased likelyhood they will run away from lack of attention!

END GAME: When original 4 adults age to elder, or DIE.

REVISED SCORING: because challenges are SUPPOSED to have scoring. But mostly because it tells you what you are TRYING to accomplish:
Positive points -
1 point for every rose bush trimmed..."I never promised you a rose garden"
1 for every bad MEMORY
10 extra points if that bad memory is "got engaged, or married"
20 extra points if that bad memory is "had a baby"
10 points for any "grew up badly"
10 points for every tantrum, fit,begging in street (etc) or total breakdown (visit by "The Doctor",etc)
1 point for every new pet (bought or born)

NEGATIVE points:
Deleted "- 1 point for every GOOD memory" there are just too many of them!
Deleted "-10 for being happy you had that baby(hay, you almost DIED!)"
-10 for "grew up well" memory
-10 for any happy memory of job advancement

And, as usual, feedback is appreciated. Good OR bad - I get points either way.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2013 at 6:03 PM
I imagine that this Memories chart from the Sims Wiki could be of use for the challenge.

Also, a few questions: do we get more points for 'rare' bad memories, like a Sim crashing in an elevator, or getting scared by a Jack in the box toy?

And what are the restrictions regarding the family funds? Wouldn't it be much better for the challenge to not let Sims get jobs (since most job-related memories are usually good), and instead only have them earn money from home (i.e. by selling paintings)?
Just throwing in some suggestions.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2013 at 8:28 PM
Good ideas! I actually kept TRYING to get an elevator crash, and never could. Didn't know Jack in box was scary! Then again, on day TWO a child has a bad memory of wetting bed & I didn't even know she had. So I will check out you link & add points for rare stuff.

There are no restriction about money. I did give some thought to the job issue. Since this challenge isn't about money, but being miserable, I left it up to the player to decide. I had thought jobs could go either way, but actually might have MORE ways to be unhappy than staying home. Remember YOU set their personalities and aspirations, and a knowledge or money sim is not going to be happy about missing the car pool, not getting advancements, etc. I expected them to miss work because they are asleep, & not make friends; and you can deliberately give the "wrong" answers to chance cards.

Although a few things require you to make note of things that happen, I was trying to avoid this by just counting memories, but it occurred to me that if a sim dies his memories (either way) are just gone..so I think death of a sim SHOULD mean their memories don't count. What do you think?

Scholar
#4 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 10:46 PM
I've never seen a bad "had a baby" memory, is that even possible? In my experience even those sims who feared said baby at the time of the birth still get a good one.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 11:45 PM
Good noticing Selly! Indeed, there is no negative equivalent to the positive 'Had a baby memory'... Fun fact: 'Had woohoo with Sim' is also an exclusively positive memory in S2, unlike in S3, where Sims can get bad mood points (or whatever you call it) from a bad woohoo. Grammapat, you may want to change that bit in your scoring system.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 1:37 AM Last edited by grammapat : 26th Mar 2013 at 4:38 AM.
Could have sworn I saw baby/bad memory! going off to check stuff. But I will be changing scoring some more, as the little buggers make MUCH more "happy thoughts" than I thought, in spite of the fact that they are reeking, arguing, starving, crying, ad nauseam.

OK..so NOT. After all these years, have I never paid that much attention to memories? Or realized that just because something bad happened that they FEARED, it did not become a memory. I also could have sworn seeing the Social Bunny (etc) created a memory.

Ok so sorry. The whole premise is bogus; there is no way to cleverly ignore them so they are a blithering mess, with the memories to prove it. Well, yes I had some fun times (see pic below), and I suppose you could just keep TRACK of this. But, personally, just sitting here counting the times something "interesting" happens, without CONTROLLING anything is just too, um, well - boring. Geez, this "challenge" stuff is harder that I thought!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 4:47 AM
Double posting again: Dagi - while woo-hoo in Sim2 is never "bad", it can cause bad memories of "cheating" for some sims.

Although I saw lots of mayhem (one man died), and fears being realized, I don't see any easy way to catch or count it all so that it had some MEANING.
Screenshots