Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2004 at 11:40 PM
Default Building a multi-story tower
First off, so far this only really works with making an empty shell and so far I have seen no way to connect floors with indoor stairs.

With that out of the way...

I've found a way to build towers up to 9 stories so far. The attached pic is of an 8 story tower i am using for a replica of Big Ben mainly as filler for my neighbourhood so being an empty shell is hardly an issue. As you can see from the picture the tower is built in sections with 4 levels for the bottom, 3 for each succsesive section placed at least one square within the previous. The gap is negated by using any ceiling so long as you stretch it to encompass the entire tower section that lies above.

Now you can put in windows and build floors in any tower section that does not have a higher tower section above it. So if you built a large structure with only towers in the corners, the entire middle area would perform like normal, so i think this method has some future possibilities to explorer.

Basic instructions:
The tower structure is built from the top down, keep this in mind as it helps understanding the construstion method.

1. first build a 4 story box at least 4x4 without using foundation (don't get too attched to it, as it will be destroyed)
2. place a floor on the top
3. delete all the walls leaving only the floor
4. raise the ground underneath the floor to the maximum height you can (do this to all four corners to get a level square. Conviniently, the ground will be exactly one floor hight below the floor.)
5. Stretch the ground to the size of the second tower structure you want to build.
6. Now repeat 1 - 5 to create another tower structure on top of this one.
7. Once you have your final tower structure, we need to go back and fill in the bottom.
8. delete the walls of the bottom story of your tower section and level the ground to the distance where the tower below must start (this is why only the bottom section can have four floors)*
9. Rebuild the tower section 4 stories high however you want it so long as it completely surounds the tower section above it. (note that you cannot use the box building tool, you have to build individual walls around it.)
10. cap it off with a ceiling that completely surounds the tower above.
11. repeat 8 - 10 for each tower section you need to fill in. (note that sometimes i had difficulty building wall sections above the ground, when this happened i build an external box around my real tower to fool the game into thiking there will be a floor there. Once the tower is finished delete all external constructing walls.)

* now i think about it, if you delete the bottom section, you might be able to add another to the top, must try that.

Off to further tinker. Happy building...

-xaphor
Advertisement
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Oct 2004 at 11:42 PM
After previewing the message it took away the attachment.

Second try

[img]e107_files/public/15099_8story_tower.jpg[/img]
<span class='smalltext'>[ 15099_8story_tower.jpg ][/i]
Test Subject
#3 Old 25th Oct 2004 at 5:50 PM
try the link again please?
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies