Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 3:15 PM
Default The Sims 4/5 - what should it include that we NEVER had in the series before?
Share your ideas and suggestions below!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 3:21 PM

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
1. Base Game should include seasons, pets + everything that's been in the first four base games (including white picket fences, hot tubs and all life stages)
2. First DLC should include university, restaurants, retail + additional generations/parenthood items (one optional supernatural for each pack)
3. Second DLC should focus on new content + vacation/travel themed gameplay
4. Only one Stuff Pack per year (and containing brand new content that's never been in a Sims game before, like lawn mowing)
5. Only one Game Pack per year (focus should be on specific themes like in TS4 and not meant to "bring back" missing features)
6. The Sims team should consult psychologist to improve the life simulation part of the gameplay instead of asking their social media interns what's "trending" among tweens

Please and thank you.

To be honest, I'd rather have another company develop a real life simulator.
The question was what has never been in the series before, but you basically just list in what kind of order you want the typical packs. I mean it sounds good, don't get me wrong, but you don't add any new ideas unfortunately. If you want the most popular packs to be included in the base game then I thought you would have some ideas about future/new ones

Side note - That white fence makes me laugh everytime
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 8:43 PM
6. The Sims team should consult psychologist to improve the life simulation part of the gameplay instead of asking their social media interns what's "trending" among tweens

And a philosopher or two. The Game is about simulating "life", and I don't see it much from TS4.

By the way, is that the gif from Housewifes tv series? I starting to feel nostalgic.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 9:11 PM
PERSONALITY

Each sim should behave differently according to their age and personality traits. I know this might sound a little stereotypical but I want to see teens sneeking out, rebelling, children playing tag around town, elderly sims reading a newspaper on the bench in the park etc.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 9:59 PM
A way to have the events of the world influence the lives of Sims, on major and minor levels:

A) Certain times of the year would cause and production of produce of certain kinds of produce, so you get sales for specific food types or see different foods appear seasonally (like pumpkins).

B) The market would see certain types of jobs appearing frequently depending on the season, like frequently seeing education ads during the summer, and business ads during the winter.

C) Currently events would shape the world: Seeing celebrities and political figures visiting the neighborhood, seeing different trends effect autonomous Sims behavior and items used when idling,

D) Having history recorded and having these things mark actual generations and periods of time, and noting what was popular at what time, and what happening there and when. Like, Sims from a few years ago used to love wearing these ugly blazers, but now it's all about zebra print bell bottoms.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#7 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 10:27 PM

I'm a psychologist and TS4 at least is very inaccurate to how people actually behave, so I totally agree with this. Also, I'd be available for consulting, EA, if you are reading this.
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 12:46 AM
I don't even think we need new features, they just need to stop omitting basic features. The Sims 4 left out so many things, I remember it was extremely shocking that the biggest selling point of The Sims 3 (Open world) was removed. If The Sims 5 just took all the best parts of each game and rolled it into a solid base game, I would be very happy.
Theorist
#9 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 4:55 AM
Forum Resident
#10 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 2:31 PM
I'm not EA, but I might as well take you up on your offer.

Which Sims games (if any) do you think got the behavior part right? What changes would you suggest to improve the life simulation in future Sims games?

I think TS2 with its personality system, wants, and fears got it the most right. Generally, personality traits are thought to be on a spectrum, which is how TS2 did it, instead of dichotomous like TS3 and TS4. Furthermore, as much as I love TS3, many of the "traits" aren't even real personality traits. It's even worse with TS4, where many of the traits are just social preferences or predispose Sims to certain moods. Some of them don't seem to have counterparts.

TS4 to me is the most egregious because of the emotion system. Emotions just don't work at all like they do in the game. First, they are missing some core emotions. I will forever speak out against how fear wasn't included--and, no, I do not count feeling "tense." Second, some of the emotions aren't really emotions. For instance, "flirty" is not an emotion. "Inspired" is not an emotion. Third, the way the emotions function in the game is just not at all realistic. In real life, our thoughts and interpretations influence our emotions, and our emotions also influence our thoughts and interpretations as well as our behaviors. I gave the example in another thread of how Sims always feel sad after witnessing a death. Well, in real life, let's say you didn't like that person very much. You may not feel sad. And then, you may feel guilt or shame, because you don't feel sad. This is referred to as a secondary emotion because it's an emotion in response to your first (primary) emotion. Another classic example we give in therapy is, imagine you're walking down the street, you wave to your friend, and your friend doesn't wave back. You may think your friend is mad at you and feel sad. Or you may think they just didn't see you, and that would lead to a different emotional response.

And don't get me started on how all Sims have the same emotion-driven behaviors. We all deal with emotions in different ways. Furthermore, many of us are still capable of goal-directed behaviors while feeling certain emotions. We can feel sad without having to run into our bedroom and cry. Sims in TS4 in general seem to have horrible emotion regulation skills. Actually, emotions in general are very short-lasting, it's just that we tend to keep them going because our brain is wired in a way that keeps us feeling that emotion. For instance, if you feel angry, you are more likely to interpret things in a way that keeps you angry, or to recall memories that make you angry, etc.

So, for future games, I'd suggest a spectrum-based system for personality, maybe even based on the Big Five traits (extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, openness to experience, conscientiousness). If you include emotions, I would have those traits influence emotional responses.

Hope this helps!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 2:35 PM
Well we've had talking toilets now, so I think the game needs dancing desks.

More seriously, realism. That's what the game needs now.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
So, for future games, I'd suggest a spectrum-based system for personality, maybe even based on the Big Five traits (extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, openness to experience, conscientiousness). If you include emotions, I would have those traits influence emotional responses.

Hope this helps!

You mean like TS1/2?

Extroversion: Shy(which is incorrect)/Outgoing
Neuroticism: Grouchy/Nice
Agreeableness: Playful/Serious
Openness: Active/Lazy
Conscientiousness: Sloppy/Neat

Forum Resident
#13 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
You mean like TS1/2?

Extroversion: Shy(which is incorrect)/Outgoing
Neuroticism: Grouchy/Nice
Agreeableness: Playful/Serious
Openness: Active/Lazy
Conscientiousness: Sloppy/Neat

Great point! Those don't exactly match up but it's pretty close. I haven't played TS2 in a while so I forgot the specific dimensions.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 11:46 PM
They do, having looked into what does what exactly (though the mechanics vary a tad).

Extroversion is obvious, as it ties directly into the social need, and I think charisma.

Neuroticism is the likelihood of experience negative emotions, and while Sims don't always have a super concrete inner world (imagine the code for that), it's reflected in how they interact with others, and I think the mood bar.

Agreeableness is the how agreeable someone is (shocking). This is directly related to playfulness and seriousness, as the two carry the weight of being naive or stubborn.

Openness is how open one is to experience. This is directly related to the energy bar, so if a Sims is lazy, they really won't want to do much of anything.

While conscientious only steals from how clean someone is, cleaning can be indicative of how considerate someone is for the wellbeing and space of others (e.g. I'm not going to leave this puddle of water on the floor because someone might slip and fall; This mess on the counter is disgusting and no one should have to cook with this here).

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 1:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
I'm going to just leave this here in silence

The Sims 4 ideas (excluding previous iterations)

Whooops
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 1:18 AM
Any new sim game should figure out a new lot ownership system where you can own larger lots and build on sublots (thereby enabling irregularity shaped farms and estates), along with a new way of saving that would allow your sims to travel between savegames and worlds with ease.
Theorist
#17 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 9:03 AM

IDK about making it harder to get jobs, I'd be happy if they just lowered the fucking salaries. It's ridiculous and obnoxious to go from $8 to $44k in three weeks :\

and for the love of god can we please have these things scale with lifespan? I play on long lifespan and my YA sims have reached level 10 in almost every skill in the game :\
Field Researcher
#18 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
IDK about making it harder to get jobs, I'd be happy if they just lowered the fucking salaries. It's ridiculous and obnoxious to go from $8 to $44k in three weeks :\

and for the love of god can we please have these things scale with lifespan? I play on long lifespan and my YA sims have reached level 10 in almost every skill in the game :\

wow that's so fast. I never been able to make my adult sim to reach lv10 in all skills
Theorist
#19 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
wow that's so fast. I never been able to make my adult sim to reach lv10 in all skills

long lifespan, some of my sims are -just- reaching adult from young adult and they are already lvl 10 in at least 3 skills. many more skills over lvl 5
Theorist
#20 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 1:17 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 6th Jul 2017 at 1:29 PM.
I'd like to be able to create custom Sim macros/routines/schedules. For example, a morning routine could include waking up at a scheduled time, making the bed, bathroom time, breakfast (can sync Sims schedules so they eat at the same time) and then leave for work or school. It might be fun if there was a more freewill option as well - like assign a list of tasks and a block of time and let the Sims personalities influence their behaviors.

For new gameplay, I'd like the towns to have some sort of economy, progression and characters with specific roles. Think of a town and characters like a Stardew Valley (or the Sims 2 ) with features you unlock like Suikoden's castle (you gathered up NPCs and then they added rooms onto your castle) or even the Apocalypse challenge.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Any new sim game should figure out a new lot ownership system where you can own larger lots and build on sublots (thereby enabling irregularity shaped farms and estates), along with a new way of saving that would allow your sims to travel between savegames and worlds with ease.

Technically, of EA wanted, they could have ownership of rooms like we do with door access, which could allows for sublot ownership, since rooms have gameplay entities.

Like, if there's a line of shops on a single lot, owned by a Landgraab, another Sim could click on a door or a room to rent out the space and all sale that happen in that room split between the owner and the renter, while the player has to also pay weekly rent on that room (or collect of rooms beyond the door) based on the cost of the rooms.

Good for player who want to do sales but not have to fork over 75,000 for an urban lot that looks like a rentable shop.

Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 6:27 PM Last edited by mixa97sr : 6th Jul 2017 at 7:19 PM.
So many good ideas here that are actually well designed, thought out, detailed and above all, more plausible than EA's!

What you looking at? I just stopped here to say that, nothing else...
Theorist
#24 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 1:38 PM
The option to play the game YOUR way, with the game leaving it to the user to either select a Sims-3 style open neighborhood or a Sims 2 style micro-management one.
Instructor
#25 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 2:41 PM
Pet bunnies! Sims 1 had rabbits that would eat your garden vegetables, but I want real actual pet rabbits. No cats/dogs with just long ears. Bunnies.
Page 1 of 7