Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:09 AM
Default I refuse to watch this because the title offends me, am I the only one?
Hiya. So lately there's loads of adverts on TV for a new programme on Channel 4. It's supposed to be about teenagers working at a stables, and they've called it Glue. As a horse lover myself, I find this really offensive, and I will absolutely not be watching this programme because of that.

But surely if it's set in a stables, they would want horsey people to watch it? So why give it such a horrible title? I don't get it.

Have you ever had similar experiences, where something like this completely put you off watching something?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:19 AM
Well, I don't think this is offensive. Maybe because english is not my first language or because here in Brazil we have so many offensive tv show that we are used to. haha

By the way, I don't even watch tv anymore... The internet conquered me totally.
Theorist
#3 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
Have you ever had similar experiences, where something like this completely put you off watching something?

No.

(Additional text supplied to satisfy the requirement that I provide more words than are sufficient to reply.)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 4:00 AM
At first, I thought it was some reality show about teens working is a stable but in fact it´s a crime drama...
I can only wonder why the name 'Glue', it looks so random...
Instructor
#5 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:26 AM
Sorry, English isn't my native language either. Where's the pun/offensive joke?

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Inventor
#6 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
Sorry, English isn't my native language either. Where's the pun/offensive joke?

Sick/old horses often get sold to factories that make glue out of them or something, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 12:31 PM
The stable setting is probably secondary to the fact that it's about teenagers. It's thoughtless, yes, but I doubt it was done with the express goal of offending horse-lovers.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StupidFlanders
Sick/old horses often get sold to factories that make glue out of them or something, I'm not sure.

I thought so. But I don't see how that could be considered offensive...?

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 5:54 PM
Maybe they also huff glue? And/or maybe the horses are really old and got rescued from auctions. Which would be nice. (just making stuff up as I go).
Theorist
#10 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 4:50 PM
Maybe it's offensive because when people love something, they don't like to think of it being killed to make something out of.
So a horse lover would be offended by a show called "Glue".
Pig lover would be offended by a show called "Bacon".
Cow lover would be offended by a show called "Burgers".
Chicken lover would be offended by a show called "McNuggets".

On the other hand, were people offended with Soylent Green? Because we all love somebody, and soylent green is people.

Resident wet blanket.
Inventor
#11 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 5:32 PM Last edited by StupidFlanders : 12th Sep 2014 at 5:32 PM. Reason: hurrdurrr typo
I'm a vegan and I feel offended by all of the above.

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 9:39 PM
Some glue is made out of horses?
I'm sticking with tape...

Insanity is like a rose, it'll grow it's thorns hidden away in beauty.
Do not go there, that is where Death and Despair lie in a pair.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:12 PM
Horse hooves to be precise and I agree as an animal lover I find that title offensive as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#14 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 12:35 AM
I don't know this show at all, but maybe they're going for a dual meaning or something. Like.. glue as in dead horse, but also as in the stables are what is keeping the group of friends together.. Or something.
I love animals myself, but I'm not really offended. It's a stupid title yeah, but eh I dunno.

As for myself, for some reason the word Glee pisses me off so much. So I can't get into the show at all because of that.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
As for myself, for some reason the word Glee pisses me off so much. So I can't get into the show at all because of that.

Glue, Glee...what's next, Glow? Is there a show called Glow yet?
I live under a rock and am so out of the pop culture loop that I wouldn't know if there is...

Quote: Originally posted by Marcos_Edson
At first, I thought it was some reality show about teens working is a stable but in fact it´s a crime drama...
I can only wonder why the name 'Glue', it looks so random...

What annoys me sometimes is that so many shows just have seemingly random names that make Googling more difficult. For example, I like to look up images of architecture and miniatures. At some point, I noticed that my image searches were being flooded by glossy TV photos. "What the heck is this?" That's how I found out about shows like House, Castle, and Dollhouse. Couldn't they have used some other name?!?

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page