Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 1:49 PM
Try this, I forced reflections to on in all places I found in the file.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
Try this, I forced reflections to on in all places I found in the file.

water is still black =(
thanks for trying Voeille
Scholar
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 7:58 PM
That’s weird, it must be possible to force the reflections to display, but if GraphicRules.sgr didn’t do that then I have no idea. Maybe I missed something in that file.

Simblr
Test Subject
#29 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 9:49 PM
That’s weird, it must be possible to force the reflections to display, but if GraphicRules.sgr didn’t do that then I have no idea. Maybe I missed something in that file.

could it be that I updated the wrong file? I replaced the one within the BV folder, as that's the latest expansion (and I saw you tell the others to replace the MG one), but there's also one in the base game folder
Scholar
Original Poster
#30 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 10:26 PM
The one you sent was fine; another thing you could try would be replacing all the files, in the base game folder and in all other packs. The latest one should be enough so I don’t think it could change something, but it’s better to try than not to.

Simblr
Test Subject
#31 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 3:49 PM
The one you sent was fine; another thing you could try would be replacing all the files, in the base game folder and in all other packs. The latest one should be enough so I don’t think it could change something, but it’s better to try than not to.

I've tried this now, and no change =(
Scholar
Original Poster
#32 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 7:34 PM
I really have no idea how else you could force the reflections to on, in the Windows version GraphicRules.sgr is enough; maybe someone with the Mac version will have a clue.

Simblr
Test Subject
#33 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 9:37 PM
I really have no idea how else you could force the reflections to on, in the Windows version GraphicRules.sgr is enough; maybe someone with the Mac version will have a clue.

no worries. Thanks so much for trying to help, I really appreciate it!
Test Subject
#34 Old 5th Feb 2017 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaysims
no worries. Thanks so much for trying to help, I really appreciate it!

Hey ajaysims,

I got it to work by replacing my Graphics Rules file with the one Voielle posted in the following folders:
Contents/Home/Expansion Packs/Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/Config
Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Config
Resources/Config

I don't know if it's necessary to replace the file in both of the first folders instead of just the Bon Voyage one but this way it definitely works.
The reflections worked for me then but also forced low textures on my neighborhood terrain so you might also want to replace all instances of "boolProp simpleTerrain true" with "boolProp simpleTerrain false" in the Graphics Rules file.
So far I had no other problems with my game and it looks like my Mac can definitely handle the graphics.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 1:02 AM
I know that it's a long time since anything was added to this thread, but I have some additional information.

Quote: Originally posted by miramar
I got it to work by replacing my Graphics Rules file with the one Voielle posted in the following folders:
Contents/Home/Expansion Packs/Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/Config
Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Config
Resources/Config

I don't know if it's necessary to replace the file in both of the first folders instead of just the Bon Voyage one but this way it definitely works.

I can confirm that the Mac game only seems to check the file in Resources/Config, so if you're modifying the Graphic Rules.sgr file, that's the only place you need to do it.

However, you may not need to edit Graphic Rules.sgr at all.

The Mac version of the file is a stripped down and tweaked version of the Windows one. The UI Options settings are identical, but it removes the High set of default settings entirely, so the only ones you can turn on without altering it are the ones you can change in game. I'd guess most people end up with Medium settings. However, it always seems to use hardware rendering, and forces reflections on as an override at the end of the file, so they should already be correct.

What I discovered, after comparing the default Mac Graphic Rules.sgr file (which doesn't work) with the modified one from the BV folder Voeille uploaded earlier in this thread (which does) is that for reasons known only to Aspyr, the Mac file sets "boolProp causticsEnabled false", and that's what causes the black water for Mac users. So you can fix it by putting the following in your userStartup.cheat file:

Code:
boolProp causticsEnabled true

Disclaimer: I've tested this on two Macs with discrete graphics cards, one from 2010 and one fairly up to date. I haven't tested it on a machine with an integrated card, but in theory it should work with that as well.
Test Subject
#36 Old 6th Mar 2023 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
I know that it's a long time since anything was added to this thread, but I have some additional information.

THANK YOU for this! I had to combine this with the useshaders cheat, and make sure a pool was placed, but it worked!!

For future lurkers like me - here's the steps I took:

1. Add BOTH the following cheats to your userstartup.cheat file:

Code:
boolProp causticsEnabled true
boolProp useshaders true

Note: Here's a tutorial on the userstartup.cheat file if you need it

2. Re-load the game and make sure that Reflections are turned On in Graphics Settings

3. Place a 1x1 pool on your lot as Voeille directs in the main post
Page 2 of 2