Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 3:27 AM
Default Whats PCS can i use to run Sims 3?
Hi,

I am looking for a computer that can run Sims 3 NOT on high settings, possiblely medium and low.

I need a buget under 200$. Thanks.

*man who loves pie*
Advertisement
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 5:16 AM
Try these builds, building your PC is the way to go: https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 7:14 AM
Setting building your own (gently) aside for the moment, you aren't going to get a new, pre-built desktop that does more than launch the base game only and plays poorly for a short amount of time until you get into the over $650 (USD) range, monitor possibly not included. You will have to go higher if you require all EPs, especially Pets and Seasons. Laptops require more than the typically provided horsepower which then brings the need to prevent overheating into it and will easily bump you into the $900 neighborhood to start, again higher for all EPs.

Some $200 computers are not entirely junk, but even the better ones are made for surfing the web, email, and light office type tasks. Not for playing graphically intensive games. TS3's demands are unusual and not all that heavy compared to other games of its vintage, but they are real.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 10:11 AM
If you currently have a desktop, you might want to look into upgrading it rather than replacing it. You can't get a decent new computer for $200, but you could certainly replace your graphics card or CPU, or boost your RAM.

Plus if you're able to save up enough for a new computer in the next few years, you'll be able to reuse some of the upgraded parts from your current computer in building the next one.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#6 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 11:51 AM
For $200, you either need to already have a desktop computer that you can upgrade, or are happy scouring through eBay and related sites for a pre-owned computer. Even then, all the ones I can see are middling to poor and are likely to need accessories (monitor, keyboard, mouse) and other upgrades (dedicated graphics card, more RAM). This one here is probably okay but I'd consider it a stop-gap measure (and you'd probably want to search around for a dedicated graphics card) and save up for a more powerful system in the meantime.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 6:49 PM
well i have a school computer for college...
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thepie
well i have a school computer for college...

Then it'd probably benefit you to see if you upgrade some of its hardware. It's just not possible to buy a computer for $200 that will run any game. My friend purchased a $200 netbook, and it barely runs Microsoft Word.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 1:09 AM
they said i cant upgrade it.. and can i run it says i can run sins 2... so maybe i will go with that.
Instructor
#10 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 6:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thepie
they said i cant upgrade it.. and can i run it says i can run sins 2... so maybe i will go with that.

well.. that depends on what kind of motherboard you have in your PC, why not download CPU-Z from here http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html, and then post your motherboard and processor screenshots here. To know your system can be upgrade or not, you need to know your motherboard first then the rest will follow depends on your needs and budget.

With $200 I think you can have some upgrades for your PC, but not much if you're trying to get brand new ones, there's a lot of used motherboards, processors, rams, video cards, etc on ebay, hopefully you don't have to upgrade your motherboard so you can get more upgrades with your budget, you don't need high-end spec PC to play TS3, but I think you can have some good upgrades if your motherboard supports them. It's even better if you can do it by yourself so you can have more upgrades with your budget because you don't have to pay technician to get it done
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 5:21 PM
well, is there any laptops that are USED (amazon) and under 200$?
One Minute Ninja'd
#13 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 1:34 AM
You're not likely to find a laptop, even used, even on eBay that can run TS3 for under $200. MAYBE base game alone on all low settings, but even that might be optimistic. Laptops are even worse when looking at performance per dollar than a desktop.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#14 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 6:35 AM
Moved to Computer & Software Technical Support.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Scholar
#15 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 9:39 AM
Can you take a picture of the inside of your desktop @thepie? We'll see if it can be upgraded.

Also forget "can i run it?" it's a crap website that gives bullshit answers.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 8:30 PM
i said i will go with sims 2.. also probably simcity 4.