Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 2:34 AM Last edited by ajshn : 15th Sep 2013 at 7:24 PM.
Default Computer for Sims 3?
I originally make this thread looking for laptops, but I decided to give that up because i'd get more for my money with a desktop. My current computer is only a 32bit and i can't upgrade it so its time for a new one. I'm not a really a gamer, i only play the sims, but i'd also like to have a good computer so if i decide to play a game that needs better specs than even the sims 3 i'd be able to. There doesn't seem to be many threads I can see about this half of the years computers, so any recommendations for a good computer that can handle the sims 3 and all of its expansions, last for while (also can upgrade in the future), is pre-built and is under 800$? I'd also like to be able to play on high settings. My budget is under 1000$ but i'd still have to shell out money for a monitor so the less expensive the better.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 4:10 AM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 16th Sep 2013 at 4:55 AM.
What country are you buying from? Do you have any parts that you can use already? Keyboard? Mouse?

Also why did you want a laptop at first? If you're going to be moving you won't be able to take the desktop with you...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 7:54 PM
The US. I don't have any parts to use because my current computer will still be in use. I wanted a laptop for college (notes and stuff) but i decided i could just get my own desktop and then just buy a tablet for on the go.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 9:50 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=511925 a

In this thread, ajaxsirius basically built a machine for me that ended up being under 1000$ and can play the sims at max settings. He even set up links to click on so I didn't have to look up anything. I just clicked on every single thing and ordered it. He even included the 50$ charge for building it and putting it on a 1 year warranty. With shipping and other charges, it ended up being 940$ or so.
Scholar
#5 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 11:48 AM
If your budget of $1000 needs to include monitor, mouse and keyboard however, you'll need a weaker computer than what kewpie got. You'll need something that's like $700 ish so that you have $250 for the screen and $50 for the mouse and keyboard. You might not be able to play The Sims 3 on max with it, but high/medium with a little CC is doable. You'll also have to get a smaller hard drive and the computer won't be able to play newer games that well. You can save $50 if you buy the parts and assemble it yourself, and you can save $100 if you have a spare 64bit Windows 7 or can get one for free from someone.
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 6:05 PM
Why so much for a keyboard and monitor? I can order a 17 inch LG for 60 bucks on Amazon and a basic mouse shouldn't be more than 10 bucks or so.
Scholar
#7 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 3:46 PM
17 inches... so small
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 7:27 PM
Well i know the mouse/keyboard i currently have is about 60$ because its wireless, and i would like to get the same thing for the new one. I don't know how much the monitor cost though, but if you combine the cost of all three that will be over 100$. I wouldn't want to buy a 250$ monitor though.I guess around 800$ just for the desktop is the most i can probably do, is that good enough? I'll look into your suggestion kewbie, but for now i'll have to stick to just buying it all together, although i do have one question is it just buying the parts or will it be purchasing the entire tower already together?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 7:30 PM
You already have a separate wireless mouse/keyboard? Why not just reuse them?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 8:03 PM
The computer I currently have will still be in use. I'm not buying a replacement computer, Its kinda old and has some issues but its still a good computer, it just not good for playing sims 3, or any recent games for that matter. I cannot upgrade it, and i want my own computer anyway.
Scholar
#11 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 5:03 AM
"although i do have one question is it just buying the parts or will it be purchasing the entire tower already together?" I don't understand, what do you mean?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 4:23 PM
Do I have to put the computer together myself, or does the site that was suggested do that for me, was the question I was asking
Scholar
#13 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 6:14 PM
If you do go with the build Ajaxsirius made for me, let me know. I had to get a stronger PSU and the case I ordered didn't fit the video card so if you're interested, I will post what psu and case I ended up getting. I ordered a precise request for the PSU and as for the case, I said "Get whatever fits, is available, and the cheapest you have. I'd prefer black but will settle for any other color."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 8:07 PM Last edited by ajshn : 19th Sep 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
If you do go with the build Ajaxsirius made for me, let me know. I had to get a stronger PSU and the case I ordered didn't fit the video card so if you're interested, I will post what psu and case I ended up getting. I ordered a precise request for the PSU and as for the case, I said "Get whatever fits, is available, and the cheapest you have. I'd prefer black but will settle for any other color."

Could you let me know what case you end up receiving, and would you mind posting on how you liked the computer after you've used it and played the sims on it for a bit? I probably won't even be getting a computer until near the end of this year or even next, so i have time to wait.
EDIT: I also just realized that I have a insignia tv (15 inches or close to that) that can be used as a monitor. Is that good enough? I plugged a net book with a broken screen into it once and it looked fine, then again i wasn't exactly playing anything on it. Getting a computer that can run high quality simming seems useless if the screen sucks. (its this one by the way: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/pro...S-LCD15-09.html)
Scholar
#15 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 12:42 AM
They changed their mind. The case is the same. It does fit. But the power supply needed a change. I think that would be a fine monitor until you can get something better, but I am no expert at all.
Scholar
#16 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 4:26 AM
They told you that you need a new power supply? According to my calculations the CX 430 is more than enough for the i5 and the 7950...

edit: oops wrong thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 5:58 PM Last edited by ajshn : 20th Sep 2013 at 11:52 PM.
I guess when the time comes, i'll just use the tv and if i hate it i'll eventually get a monitor, or i can just buy a cheap monitor hook it up to the one i'm currently using and take the one i currently have for myself and the new computer. Make sure to let me know how good or (or bad) your computer is when you get. (:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 3:01 AM Last edited by ajshn : 21st Sep 2013 at 3:13 AM.
I've been looking around today and i noticed HP had some good all in one computers, so i wanted to ask is this one a good computer:
http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-o...PC-ENERGY-STAR-
My mom gets a discount on all hp computers thanks to her job so i'd like to get one from there.
The specs are:
-3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330S quad-core processor [2.7GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
-1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT610M [DX 11, MXM 3.0A] (or i can shell out another 60$ for 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7650A, should i get that one?)
-8GB DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM Memory [1 DIMM]
-2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
Thats good enough right?
There is also a more expensive one with a better processor and more memory:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...PC-ENERGY-STAR-
The specs are:
-3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S quad-core processor [3.1GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
-1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT610M [DX 11, MXM 3.0A] (or i can shell out another 60$ for 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7650A, should i get that one?)
-12GB DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM[2 DIMM]
-2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Are either of these good for all sims ep in high settings with good amount of cc? If they both are should I get the cheaper one, and
should i get the 1 gb nvidia that comes with them or buy the 2gb radeon? The cheaper one is $955.99 and the more expensive one is $1,193.99 so its a 200$ difference.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:07 PM
no GT610M is very very weak graphic card.

for Sims purpose get at least Nvidia GTX X5X / Radeon X7XX
example GTX650 / Radeon 7750

most laptop and all in one PC has strong CPU but really really weak graphic card.
for gamer purpose I suggest custom build.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:09 PM Last edited by ajshn : 21st Sep 2013 at 8:00 PM.
Guess i'll keep looking, i just have no idea what i need when its different brands. So I checked out cyperpower pc and i ended up finding this computer: GAMER SCORPIUS 9000 (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_9000)
With these specs i choose:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [-37] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Are they good, i got recommended them and that person seemed to know what they where talking about.
Test Subject
#21 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 8:53 PM
NEVER buy from CyberPower. They have a really bad reputation. Callistra and Nysha say everything there is to know here, section "Where NOT to buy": http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...345#post2191345
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 11:09 PM
Okay, taking what Ajax recommended for Kewpie from .us.ncix.com, i had to change some things though because they either jumped up in price or went out of stock, is this a good build:
=PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased
=Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit Full Version English OEM
=Intel Core i5 4430 Quad Core 3.0GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail
=MSI H87M-G43 ATX LGA1150 H87 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 HDMI 4K CrossFireX USB3.0 Motherboard
=Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
=G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory
=Cooler Master HAF 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound
=XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
=ASUS Radeon HD 7870 1.0GHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 CrossFireX DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E DX 11 Video Card
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajshn
Okay, taking what Ajax recommended for Kewpie from .us.ncix.com, i had to change some things though because they either jumped up in price or went out of stock, is this a good build:
=PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased
=Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit Full Version English OEM
=Intel Core i5 4430 Quad Core 3.0GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail
=MSI H87M-G43 ATX LGA1150 H87 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 HDMI 4K CrossFireX USB3.0 Motherboard
=Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
=G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory
=Cooler Master HAF 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound
=XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
=ASUS Radeon HD 7870 1.0GHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 CrossFireX DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E DX 11 Video Card

7870 Crossfire is too powerful just to play Sims.
Single 7870 is more than enough (I think even Sims 4 with all expansion).
I suggest add some SSD for fast load and save game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opucq6nF5w
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 2:37 AM Last edited by ajshn : 22nd Sep 2013 at 2:50 AM.
Well thats the cheapest motherboard so it would be better to go with that. And you link to an ssd from that site, i don't even know what that is, the video you linked to the guy talked about overclocking and i don't plan on doing that. Also should i get a better processor? There is also the Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor, the i7s are too much for me.
Scholar
#25 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 2:58 AM
SSD is an acronym for Solid State Drive. It's one of the latest forms of computer storage. It's like a hard drive but without spinning platters. Instead, it's like flash drive storage (e.g. like from USB keys), where the information is stored on chips attached to a board (all inside the SSD object, nothing to do with processors, sound/video cards, etc.). The biggest advantage of SSD vs. HDD is the higher speed of storing/retrieving data. Second advantage is that SSDs are quiet.

Using an SSD with your computer will help send the data quicker to the RAM & then processor in order to execute data for programs. You'll especially find Internet browsing and loading quicker than traditional HDDs.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!

Page 1 of 2