Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 3:54 PM
Yayyyyy! I just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. I finally get to play with the EA glasses frames I actually LIKE. I hate sunglasses on my Sims, so to have the chance to make recolors of these with clear lenses is great.

Advertisement
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#52 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 6:59 PM
Thank you SO much for this tutorial! Now I can finally do something about those ridiculous pink and green lenses that ruin glasses that would be quite nice otherwise. :D
Test Subject
#53 Old 1st May 2007 at 6:21 AM
Numenor, thank you very much for this tutorial, my glasses with lens recolor now looks more better than an ordinary frame recolors!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 11th May 2007 at 11:04 PM
Thanks Numenor. I really needed this for my annoying GG Allin sim

These boots are made for walking...
Alchemist
#55 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 2:05 AM
Is there anywhere I can learn to change the SHAPE of glasses?
Test Subject
#56 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 1:57 AM
This is probably getting a little too complex for me, but I'm gonna ask it anyway; is there a way to put an image on a pair of glasses, kind of like holographic sunglasses you'd see in joke shops? Judging from what I've heard, I'm gonna assume not, but I thought I'd go ahead and put the question out there.

"Girls have gotta be either sexy or smart, not both. That's why for every ounce of ugly you are, you need to read one book. Now, would you like me to drive you to the library?" -Taylor Geiman
Test Subject
#57 Old 5th Nov 2007 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Exactly. I'm sorry if it seems difficult, but actually it's difficult...
Many experienced recolourers still don't know how to recolour glass and/or textureless objects.

this was werry easy to mee now how do i poast my glasses on this website
Test Subject
#58 Old 5th Jan 2008 at 9:04 PM
THANK U
I like it!! It's great! !!
Test Subject
#59 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 9:54 PM
good tutorial, very easy to follow... and yay, it works LOL
Test Subject
#60 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 1:20 PM
I love this tutorial, very helpful !
Test Subject
#61 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 5:33 PM
Wow thanks a TON! That was actually easy for me to follow!
Great Tutorial!
Test Subject
#62 Old 27th May 2009 at 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot, Numenor for this great explication.
It needed some time until the glasses were like I want them, but now, my sims can wear my self-made glasses with the coloured glasses.
Thanks
Test Subject
#63 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:54 PM
Wow, I wish i had had this a few days ago when I was trying for hours just to make some tea-shades.

I succeeded, but I'm still having some trouble. Tea-shades are circular sunglasses such as John Lennon or Ozzie Osbourne style. I succeeded in changing the lenses, and I tried to make custom frames as well. (Gold and silver) I thought they turned out fine until I realized that the frames for adult and elder men were not gold and silver but bright yellow and white. After comparing, I noticed that in SimPE the Material Definitions for the women's and males child and younger were different from the adult and elder males'. In particular, women and boys had something called alphaRefValue that adult men did not have.

Teen males did not have alphaRefValue and their frames were the correct color. However, when teen males wear the glasses, the glasses morph and scew with the face so they are horribly misshapen.

Then I realized that I can't find the actual file for the original round glasses for men (because that is what mine are based on) and I'm wondering if I somehow deleted the original file, but I don't know how or when I could have done that.

Sorry for really long post and no screenshots. I hope I made sense. Advice?
Test Subject
#64 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 12:55 PM Last edited by mattphipps68 : 7th Jun 2010 at 1:10 PM. Reason: Added postscript
Quote: Originally posted by donaldrack

I'm trying to make those...

Bodyshop has something like those but the lenses are greenish. I want to make them dark tint, like a really dark brown, almost black. I also want to make them less transparent. Can you help me? I'm not sure how to get that color with the numbers. :bow:

I actually did some fiddling with the male aviator glasses with clear lenses to attempt the exact same thing. Take a look at what I did in SimPE and test them in game to see if you like the tweaks.

**cheers

postscript:

just remember that the changes have to be made to the MATD properties for <b>all</b>age levels. I changed the frames AND the lenses in the same sitting and therefore had to edit the properties in 6 MATD files (lenses in 3 ages + frames in 3 ages). Oi vey what a headache.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Silver Aviators.zip (17.1 KB, 28 downloads) - View custom content
Description: A recolour of the basegame Mens Aviator Glasses
Test Subject
#65 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 10:18 PM
I cannot put into words how grateful I am for this! I've never used SimPE in my life and was still able to follow this tutorial and in turn was able to create a recolor. Thank you! ^^
Forum Resident
#66 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 12:35 AM
I garra say Numenor this is one great tutorial. I just made the coolest dark purple recolors of those maxis round glasses. They really look Hippie. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Keep up the good work. Ariva derci. Grazzi multo.
Test Subject
#67 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 10:32 AM
Hmm I can't seem to get this to work..
I think I did everything the way you should do it.
I only changed the 'empty files' (where it's not filing the colour of the sunglasses itself for example, so not the glasses ofcourse)
the colours should be right because I used the drop down menu box thingy, and if I check again in SimPE they are all changed in the way I want them. but if I check bodyshop again they're still the same old..

Did I do something wrong or forgot a step?
Sockpuppet
#68 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thijs
Hmm I can't seem to get this to work..
I think I did everything the way you should do it.
I only changed the 'empty files' (where it's not filing the colour of the sunglasses itself for example, so not the glasses ofcourse)
the colours should be right because I used the drop down menu box thingy, and if I check again in SimPE they are all changed in the way I want them. but if I check bodyshop again they're still the same old..

Did I do something wrong or forgot a step?

Reclone them with bodyshop, check if the new clone is fixed.
Test Subject
#69 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 8:40 PM
Holographic Sunglass Lenses
Quote: Originally posted by Mimsy
This is probably getting a little too complex for me, but I'm gonna ask it anyway; is there a way to put an image on a pair of glasses, kind of like holographic sunglasses you'd see in joke shops? Judging from what I've heard, I'm gonna assume not, but I thought I'd go ahead and put the question out there.

I had to think about this for a while before I even "attempted" to answer.

I "think" you would have to either alter the existing alpha layer of the mesh or create a new one that you could recolor however you like. If I'm not mistaken, it should work in the same manner as a recolor of a clothing piece.

I've only done a few simple RC's of Maxis objects for my own use, so I'm not absolutely certain if holographics are possible.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mattphipps68
I had to think about this for a while before I even "attempted" to answer.

I "think" you would have to either alter the existing alpha layer of the mesh or create a new one that you could recolor however you like. If I'm not mistaken, it should work in the same manner as a recolor of a clothing piece.

I've only done a few simple RC's of Maxis objects for my own use, so I'm not absolutely certain if holographics are possible.

It's probably possible to put an image on glasses lenses if you change some settings in SimPE. But holographic images? Probably not.

I doubt it's that pressing an issue anyway, since the post you're responding to is over 4 years old... I'd like to see someone try this, though. It could have amusing results.
Test Subject
#71 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
It's probably possible to put an image on glasses lenses if you change some settings in SimPE. But holographic images? Probably not.

I doubt it's that pressing an issue anyway, since the post you're responding to is over 4 years old... I'd like to see someone try this, though. It could have amusing results.

True enough - it is a very old post, but people still ask questions like this and I try to be as helpful as my limited knowledge permits.

I'm actually quite suprised that anyone even looks at this thread any more considering its age.
Inventor
#72 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:53 PM
i can't seem to be able to change the black sims default to blue lenses, so frustrating, it seems I do it right... but no
Mad Poster
#73 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSummer
Is there one for adding a picture? im trying to add a Deamu5 icon to them for a set im making

You might want to have a look at PixelHate's tutorials on the TXMT. He's got a section there called Blend settings (transparency and alpha, blending, additive, glass effect with/without texture). I'm not sure if that'll give you the effect you're looking for or not, but it's worth a try.

Pretty cool stuff, anyway. I used one of the tutorials to make shiny shoes for my Sims.
Page 3 of 3