Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 12:24 PM
Default Should I buy TS4?
I grew up playing TS2 and bought many of the expensive expansions packs .

Today I still occasionally play TS2 and especially recently when I found out I could download it on my Mac. Even though I love the game I sometimes get bored and need a break. Recently I have been courious about TS4 but I cannot tell if it is worth the expensive price and whether it is really different from TS2, or just basically a graphic upgrade. (btw. I tried TS3 and it wasn't for me)

What do you think? Is it really worth the price?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:13 PM
It's basically a graphical upgrade, emotions added that mean you will micromanage emotions instead of 'just needs' to get the most out of an activity, and several aspects removed or restricted.

For example, there are no Fears. You have Whims (Wants), but no bad repercussion. Say, you have a Romance Sim who ends up getting engaged and they get - 2.000 Happiness Points because... well, they are a Romance Sim and generally do not want to get engaged. (Though I recall them rolling the want to get engaged, but also have it as a fear...) Something like that doesn't happen in Sims 4. Even if a Sim rejects a proposal, you just need to tweak the circumstances a bit, and they will agree to getting engaged.

So... no, I really don't think Sims 4 justifies its price.
I originally got the basegame on a sale, at a 50% discount, and even then (at least two years ago) I wasn't sure if the basegame itself warranted spending that money.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:23 PM Last edited by ShadowMT13 : 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:39 PM.
That is your choice if you ask the community here you will most likely get over exaggerated answers with people who hate it telling you it is the worst game in Sims history (Which it is not if you know how to enjoy it and don't go acting like a nut job just because you're a displeased "Veteran Player.") and more rational answers from people who can enjoy it instead of nitpicking things about the game (Like myself.) telling you it is worth the buy if you have the money to spare. My advice is don't get it if you don't have extra money, but if you do get it DO NOT compare it to other games and try looking at it as more of it's own game rather than a part of a franchise. It can be fun if you enjoy sims games, but you have to have the right mindset because to be honest it is different from it's predecessors. The problem with the people who can't enjoy it is more because they don't feel that it lived up to their expectations, which I am sure it did not if they were hoping for a game that adds on to Sims 3 rather than being more so it's own thing. The game is not bad like people say, just be sure you have money to spare and don't have super high expectations. There is a lot of things that are in a way better than the Sims 3, but their are also things that were removed from Sims 4 that was in previous games.

Overall it is your choice and I would recommend you watch some playthroughs of it instead of asking the community here since you will always get mixed responses. Judge it for yourself, don't ask for others to judge it for you otherwise you will be mislead. Have a nice day and I would personally say get it if you have the extra cash to spend, since it is not all that bad once you get past the comparing it to other games phase. Bottom line the price is rather high for the game, but if you really want a new game to play and have money to spare, go for it and just know it is kind of a dumbed down version of the other games.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:28 PM
The Advice we can give does a lot of research about it, watch let's play, random reviews from fans and critics, read the feedback section and stuff in general in the official sims forums to get a gist what you're getting and losing, etc. and etc. There should be a 48-hour free trial for download at the origin, so be sure to try that first so you don't regret purchasing it or even purchasing it very late. TS4 hasn't been, and I mean really hasn't been received friendly responses by the veteran players.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
It's basically a graphical upgrade, emotions added that mean you will micromanage emotions instead of 'just needs' to get the most out of an activity, and several aspects removed or restricted.

I would not call it a graphical upgrade since Sims 3 actually had more realistic graphics with this game taking a more anime-esc style to how it looks. In my opinion Sims 3's graphics were better, but me being an anime fan I really don't mind the less realistic look it has now in Sims 4.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShadowMT13
That is your choice if you ask the community here you will most likely get over exaggerated answers with people who hate it telling you it is the worst game in Sims history (Which it is not if you know how to enjoy it and don't go acting like a nut job just because you're a displeased "Veteran Player.") and more rational answers from people who can enjoy it instead of nitpicking things about the game (Like myself.) telling you it is worth the buy if you have the money to spare. My advice is don't get it if you don't have extra money, but if you do get it DO NOT compare it to other games and try looking at it as more of it's own game rather than a part of a franchise. It can be fun if you enjoy sims games, but you have to have the right mindset because to be honest it is different from it's predecessors. The problem with the people who can't enjoy it is more because they don't feel that it lived up to their expectations, which I am sure it did not if they were hoping for a game that adds on to Sims 3 rather than being more so it's own thing. The game is not bad like people say, just be sure you have money to spare and don't have super high expectations. There is a lot of things that are in a way better than the Sims 3, but their are also things that were removed from Sims 4 that was in previous games.

Overall it is your choice and I would recommend you watch some playthroughs of it instead of asking the community here since you will always get mixed responses. Judge it for yourself, don't ask for others to judge it for you otherwise you will be mislead. Have a nice day and I would personally say get it if you have the extra cash to spend, since it is not all that bad once you get past the comparing it to other games phase. Bottom line the price is rather high for the game, but if you really want a new game to play and have money to spare, go for it and just know it is kind of a dumbed down version of the other games.

Please give all the advise you see fit, but leave out any qualifications as to the advises of other people. Both positive and negative advises can be exaggerated or rational.

As for a rational reply, OP, you’ll have to try it to know if it’s a game for you. It indeed, in my case, can’t live up to Sims 3 and I only currently manage to enjoy it because I was gifted Vampires, which is a great pack. The thing is, for lots of people it also can’t live up to Sims 2 (and many of them weren’t Sims 3 fans either, like you). There’s just one way to find out what that will be like for you: play it. But my advise would be to also buy some packs with it, because just the basegame is too limited and boring.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 3:21 PM
Honestly, there are plently of threads like this. You can read those as well. And there's a pin-down versus thread can read up (yes, I know - it's about comparing, but its inventible as simmers joining a iteration will always find a longing or perfections in these games that are under one roof that is the franchise). My advice would be try out a base game for a few months before moving onto DLC.

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 4:11 PM
I donno. It's an Econ 101 question if you should buy it or not. If it's food or Sims 4, buy food. If it's a day at Disneyland or Three years playing Sims 4 - kinda a toss up.
For me, it was Crack or Sims, and I chose the much more addictive and cheaper Sims.

Sims are better than us.
Scholar
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 7:45 PM
It's all subjective, do I think its worth the price? No. The base game wasn't worth the price and with each expansion something seems to be wrong, missing, or should have been included in the base game. Will you play it/ enjoy playing it? Maybe.
Instructor
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlinaDK

Today I still occasionally play TS2 and especially recently when I found out I could download it on my Mac. Even though I love the game I sometimes get bored and need a break. Recently I have been courious about TS4 but I cannot tell if it is worth the expensive price and whether it is really different from TS2, or just basically a graphic upgrade. (btw. I tried TS3 and it wasn't for me)

You can always try out the demo to see if you like it first. If you go on origin you can download the demo and play for a period of time and see if it fits for you. That's how one of my friends did it recently and what I wished I would have done first before completely diving in not knowing what to expect from the game back in 2014 lol but I digress my advice would be to download the demo first and see how you like it. If you need more time then maybe go to a family or friends house who has the game and play a bit more. If you don't have that option then I guess buy it when it's on sale. That way if you end up not liking it you didn't spend full price on it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 9:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. :-) I didn't know there was a demo available - it go look for that.
Besides that I guess it wasn't so much about pros and cons, but more whether the game is basically different from TS2... And if that's the guess I'm not so sure I'll be spending my money right now (maybe I'll wait for the next generation of sims and buy it cheaper)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Fortunately, not all of us nut job veterans are into telling other people how to spend their money. On top of watching LPs, reading reviews, ect... I also recommend that you, OP, watch a few live streams hosted by the dev team that works on TS4. They too have issues with their game. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/304176197

Whether such matters are worth your dollars or not, that is for you to decide.

Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
Please give all the advise you see fit, but leave out any qualifications as to the advises of other people. Both positive and negative advises can be exaggerated or rational.

As for a rational reply, OP, you’ll have to try it to know if it’s a game for you. It indeed, in my case, can’t live up to Sims 3 and I only currently manage to enjoy it because I was gifted Vampires, which is a great pack. The thing is, for lots of people it also can’t live up to Sims 2 (and many of them weren’t Sims 3 fans either, like you). There’s just one way to find out what that will be like for you: play it. But my advise would be to also buy some packs with it, because just the basegame is too limited and boring.

Wow okay, all this was not needed since for one this thread was more so about someone asking if they should buy this game, not so much for fighting and bickering about things. Second I did not say all veteran players where nutjobs, I am talking about the ones who are so obsessed with Sims 4 and how displeased they are that they will not simply let it be and have to keep going on and on about how bad it is instead of just dealing with the fact that it exists and moving on with their life. I understand some people's frustration, but I disagree with the obsessive complaining. I did not say they where nutjobs I technically said some of them act like nutjobs about it if you take a look at some of the rant threads made in the Sims 4 forum by the players who disliked/hated it.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 6:40 AM
Wow okay, all this was not needed since for one this thread was more so about someone asking if they should buy this game, not so much for fighting and bickering about things. Second I did not say all veteran players where nutjobs, I am talking about the ones who are so obsessed with Sims 4 and how displeased they are that they will not simply let it be and have to keep going on and on about how bad it is instead of just dealing with the fact that it exists and moving on with their life. I understand some people's frustration, but I disagree with the obsessive complaining. I did not say they where nutjobs I technically said some of them act like nutjobs about it if you take a look at some of the rant threads made in the Sims 4 forum by the players who disliked/hated it.

Well you were the one to bring it up in the first place. Maybe you should take your own advice and let the people who dislike the game be and move on with your life, since you seem to shift the conversation to complain about the complainers an awful lot.
Smeg Head
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 8:51 PM

There is one thing guaranteed to derail any conversation topic regarding the controversial TS4. And that is to have the arrogance, the audacity, to attempt to speak knowledgably about opposing attitudes and opinions to which you simply cannot have any true, instinctual insight. You are the instigator yourself of making this thread go askew. The very catalyst of topic derailment. Learn from it, and just stick to what you do know about yourself when it comes to offering your opinion of this hotly debated game. You do not speak for me or anyone else but you. Don't add fuel to a fire. Where people find complaint where you don't, does not make them wrong, does not make you wrong, just means they looked at it in a way you did not. But the need then to start adding words like obsessive and nutjob to bolster your argument, means you do not have much of an argument lest you start compacting it with exaggeration to give it your required momentum. See the logic and prevent further derailment.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Keysmash
Well you were the one to bring it up in the first place. Maybe you should take your own advice and let the people who dislike the game be and move on with your life, since you seem to shift the conversation to complain about the complainers an awful lot.

I was not trying to, I don't complain about it I simple just wish people would not be so crazy about games. I have seen people get bullied by so called "veteran players" simply because they like Sims 4. So unfortunately those types of people amongst the quote on quote Veteran Players really kind of makes it seem like being a veteran player is nothing to be proud of.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
There is one thing guaranteed to derail any conversation topic regarding the controversial TS4. And that is to have the arrogance, the audacity, to attempt to speak knowledgably about opposing attitudes and opinions to which you simply cannot have any true, instinctual insight. You are the instigator yourself of making this thread go askew. The very catalyst of topic derailment. Learn from it, and just stick to what you do know about yourself when it comes to offering your opinion of this hotly debated game. You do not speak for me or anyone else but you. Don't add fuel to a fire. Where people find complaint where you don't, does not make them wrong, does not make you wrong, just means they looked at it in a way you did not. But the need then to start adding words like obsessive and nutjob to bolster your argument, means you do not have much of an argument lest you start compacting it with exaggeration to give it your required momentum. See the logic and prevent further derailment.

I know this, I don't need a pep talk to understand this. Sure it was not right or me to throw in name calling, but it is also not right that I have people get bullied for just liking Sims 4 which is fucking ridiculous and I can't really let up on "Veteran Players" who like to obsess about how much they hate a game, also I will not stand for the ones who literally bully people for no reason simply because they like a game. So sorry but people who favor themselves veteran fans and simply hate on other games such as Sims 4 leave a bad taste in my mouth. It is kind of hard not to express my feelings towards those types of veteran players. Not all veteran players are bad of course, I am not counting the ones who dislike the game but don't say anything about it. I am only counting the ones who kind of bully others and obsess about Sims 4. If you were in my shoes you would understand better, but you are not.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:18 PM
Why don't we just stop carrying on about this honestly, it was an opinionated comment rather it was right or wrong. So carrying this on is pointless, the OP got their answer so we should quite honestly just leave this thread be now instead of arguing and lecturing back and forth like children.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:27 PM
Well, here's a little input from a sorta veteran player. Took a real break when TS4 came out as I loved the open world and stuff with TS3. I even went back and replayed some TS2 just for comparison but found open world and story progression were a big deal to me. They still are. And I can make my own xml tuning mods for personal preference but not up to snuff on Python and TS4 yet, so it's not only experience with playing and building. I decided to give it another round when I got a new laptop and in getting it set up saw I still had my TS4 base game on Origin. So I downloaded it, messed around a little bit, hit up this board for the latest and greatest mods (and some really are ambitious and great) and started playing.

Yes, I still miss the open world and story progression of TS3. Yes, TS2 has continued to be the fullest featured version, both from EA and the community. But TS4 is still playable. Again, we're all different with different expectations, but it can be amusing when playing by your own rules. That means kinda ignoring the whole goal oriented approach EA has only made larger than in prior versions, not taking emotions all that seriously especially as I don't care about their goals. I'm going on about my business and concentrating on a single household for now like I did in TS3. I'm not a fan of the having to play the entire neighborhood approach.But lots of folks, especially TS2 veterans are, so it certainly is available if you prefer that.

Is it worth it? At the time I got it close to release, I was sorely disappointed. It had all the flaws folks were screaming about from all the pre-release information and previews. Returning now it has matured, and is evident even in just the base game alone, thanks to patches, EA's grudging capitulation to community demands, and modders like those here. Would I consider it s good investment of $50 of what could be a very tight budget, and your owning a fairly complete TS2, I'd be on the fence unless there's some specific feature you spotted that you really want. If you have a more generous budget and won't beat yourself up over spending the $50 and feeling horrible about losing the money, I'd say give it a spin. If there is a limited time use freebie, I'd certainly take advantage of that to help you decide. It's well worth the effort to explore it before dumping in a whole bunch of money, especially all the EPs and GPs at the start (BTW, I kind of like the GP approach as an affordable way to bring both stuff and new gameplay into the game). Is it a let down from prior versions? Yes. Is it still playable with some enjoyment value? Yes

At the end of the day, it's only a game. It's also the kind of game you can manipulate to suit your own preferences, either real goal oriented or pure sandbox your game your way. If you loved TS2 you may very well like TS4. If you're a hardened TS3 fan, you have to put some serious thought into how to break its will to fit your own.

Edit: (and do note it's edited onto the single post) Triple posting is generally not well regarded on this board. Multi-part responses are pretty easy, as I've just done. Even with quotes if you need to address several other posters.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlinaDK

No, it is not Sims 2 given a graphic upgrade- if it were we (us sims 2 players) would all be playing it. It is its own game and different from both 2 and 3. I would suggest not comparing it to 2 or 3 as that is like apples to oranges to plums. Watch some let's Play's and only spend cash when it's on sale. Base game on sale isn't too bad and will give you a feel for how it plays. I only have base game, managed to get it for $30 after toddlers were patched in, which I think it was worth. I would not pay more than that IMO. I like the toddlers and that is about all. For me the game is way too restrictive with far too few lots. I need at least 50+ lots in my hoods. Maybe explain a bit more how you like to play then people might know if it would suit your playstyle.

Also please keep posts on track to actually helping the OP.

@ShadowMT13 please do not triple post, it's against site rules. If you can use the edit button -thanks.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#20 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:40 PM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:56 PM.
I know this, I don't need a pep talk to understand this. Sure it was not right or me to throw in name calling, but it is also not right that I have people get bullied for just liking Sims 4 which is fucking ridiculous and I can't really let up on "Veteran Players" who like to obsess about how much they hate a game, also I will not stand for the ones who literally bully people for no reason simply because they like a game. So sorry but people who favor themselves veteran fans and simply hate on other games such as Sims 4 leave a bad taste in my mouth. It is kind of hard not to express my feelings towards those types of veteran players. Not all veteran players are bad of course, I am not counting the ones who dislike the game but don't say anything about it. I am only counting the ones who kind of bully others and obsess about Sims 4. If you were in my shoes you would understand better, but you are not.

But who has bullied anyone on here about playing the sims 4? I haven't seen anything like that on here. I mean recently I've seen some comments bashing the game itself not the people who play the game. Then again, I've seen it more so in the official forum but it goes both ways because there are users who insult people for not enjoying the game.

For someone who recently made an account, how have you been personally affected by this site? You're pointing the finger at users in a forum that you just joined so unless you've been here all this time and made another account I haven't seen anyone do anything personal to you that you did not bring upon yourself. And even then their responses have been very respectful.

ETA: In reference to the game. The sims 4 is still playable to me despite the many issues I personally have with it. I've invested my hard earned money into it (I have all packs except MFP) and have thought long and hard about it and realized that since spending so much money on this game I'm going to try to get some enjoyment out of it the best I can despite my distaste in certain things. And despite that I will still try to give the best advice I can to someone interested in the game and I will try not to be biased based on my distastes.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 2:42 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 24th Sep 2018 at 3:27 PM.
I think we can all agree about it's wrong to diss people that like/dislike and whether they should or shouldn't play. It's no ones business whatever a person likes and is playing. Over-reacting over somebody's complaint about the game you enjoy is a bit redundant. It's not your mother, it's a game. It's up to you to choose how to react and feel towards those critiques the game receives, but trying to silence is not helpful or healthy to the discussion.

Honestly, I think OP would get a better idea and portrayal of what TS4 is If (s)he hears pros and cons of the game. As Jo-Anne stated, anything can be overexaggerated, albeit most of the remarks are hardly invalid regardless of what agenda they support. What is subjective, is how the people feel over this points, which the result varies. It's a "should I buy TS4" tread, so you can't just tone it down to one answer that is the nod and the YES. I don't wanna put fingers of anyone, but let's not sidetrack this thread "... Oh, and did you know there are people who are displeased with this game? Ignore them and their insight doesn't matter!".

Scholar
#22 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 3:38 PM Last edited by CatMuto : 24th Sep 2018 at 3:51 PM.
Quote:
There’s just one way to find out what that will be like for you: play it. But my advise would be to also buy some packs with it, because just the basegame is too limited and boring.

Of course, that goes against the entire point of asking if Sims 4 would be worth spending money on to begin with...

I agree with eskie227 that Sims 4 has improved in its own way in things. I can play it and enjoy what it is, but it still has flaws and some of those are ones that I find difficult to ignore, because they do heavily influence my style of playing. I absolutely miss the open world, and I find that the loading screens for each lot (even if it's the park right next to my sims' house and is perfectly visible...) take too long (~3 minutes? Maybe longer; depends) for me to really enjoy exploring the neighborhood my sims are living in. As such, I am basically sticking to only playing in my sims' house. Even for stuff like dates, I prefer to stay in the home, rather than wait a total of 6-8 minutes of loading screens (going to the new lot, then returning) before I can play again.

I absolutely detested what Sims 4 was when I first played, although I did play a bit more when Toddlers were added. Now, with seasons added... I have played more, and it can be fun. But I cannot help and compare it to what we had before, be it Sims 3 or Sims 2. It's just something that happens when you get to the 'next step game' in a series. It's like sequels to anything: you go in, expecting it to be better than what you had before, or at least heavily improve on things. Did Sims 4 do that for Sims 3? In some aspects, sure. In other aspects, it really went back.
But let's see what Pros and Cons I can come up with.

Pros

Create-A-Sim is much better. Instead of sliders, you use your mouse to click and drag/rotate facial and body features. You can make much more diverse body types than you did before. Want a Sim with pretty wide hips, but more narrow shoulders? You can do that. Want a fat Sim, but who ends up with small, delicate feet? You can do that. Want the super-buff muscles of a body builder? You can do that. The clothes are really quite nice, and all of them are maternity-enabled. That was really cool, to not have to worry about putting your Sim into maternity-enabled clothing or have them change into some potato sack clothes for the baby bump. (I love Sims 2 and 3, but having to look for CC clothes and checking if it was maternity-enabled can be restrictive)

Clothes are also not 'really' gendered anymore. If you want a male sim to wear that pretty Dia de los Muertos dress? You can do that with simple clicks.
I suppose I should mention that you can make Sims genderfluid/transgender now (I'm not sure which term is more appropriate, so I'll mention both) through simple clicks. Sims can prefer certain gendered pronouns, change how they use the toilet, or if they can get pregnant/can get others pregnant. Personally this was not a big thing for me, but I will mention it under Pros because I read people were really happy about this addition.

Toddlers have become a lot more nuanced.
You generally just had to make sure they know how to use the potty, walk, and talk, and then you could all but ignore them until they aged into children. Not the case here. They actually can have a bit of a personality to them, and even toddle around on their own, which improves their movement skill. There are also some other skills you can have them learn or expand on, including interacting with things. And you actually feed them 'real' food and not just some baby squash or a bottle. They have more stuff to interact with, in general, and even more diverse options for toys. The Parenthood Gamepack also adds values, like emotional maturity, responsibility, etc. (Can't say much there, I don't have the pack)

Building Mode... has some really cool parts. Like picking up a room and moving it somewhere else. But I will also put building mode under cons...

In terms of mods, I really like how easy it is to make Traits!
I have my own issues with traits, so I really love the custom-made ones. Easy to create, and easy to install. And some of them have really cool things added to them.
Though I'm not sure how good this sounds, saying that this CC makes the game 'much' better...

Cons

Building Mode has become really restrictive, in my opinion. The building is 'room-based'. Each enclosed walls count as one 'room'. Definitely a very different way to build and will take getting used to. But I have to say that I do not like how the decorating has altered. Okay, going from Create-A-Style back to Swatches was bound to have issues; but I expected that. I don't like how... difficult... it has become to make a good-looking, decorated home, while trying to keep it somewhat cheap. I keep having to pick the same few items again, hope that their swatches offers the same colors or at least be close enough that I do not end up with a mish-mash of light wood, and then with slightly darker wood. Maybe it's me, but this would end up bugging me a lot. Especially with wallpaper that has wood-base, but the cheaper one is set to having the wood always be white. You can change the color of the wallpaper, but the wood is white. And unless you use white wooden floors, it won't match. (Minor thing. I tend to play with walls down, so I don't notice it too much)

Everything is a skill... Cooking, playing Videogames, swimming (Fitness), writing, jokes, talking... It's neat to have many more skills to increase, if you want to... but I don't want to have to micromanage my Sims to make sure they don't end up unlocking a skill I don't want them to have.

Traits... as said, I like the CC ones, but the in-game ones are... mh, they feel a bit bland.
Unless I go the really wacky route, I have the feeling that the Sims end up the same over and over. They will enjoy jokes, they will want to get engaged/married (even with non-committal...), they will want to be social, and do this and that, just like if they had different traits. That's what I missed when comparing it to the personality points in 2 or the traits in 3. If I made a mean sim, they acted mean. If I made a sim with no sense of humor, they really didn't care for jokes. But that's not how it is in Sims 4. Yeah, my mean Sim will want to be mischievous or mean a bit more than other sims, but ultimately will still be able to make just as many friends as my non-mean Sim.

Overall, I also feel like the game has become more... childish?
Okay, Sims has always been made in a way that it can be played by everyone (hence we have Juice and not Alcohol, and a Bubble Blower instead of a hookah... though it acts the same way), but it feels like Sims 4 is where it become really obvious that they are trying to appeal to younger players. I'm not talking in terms of the graphics, but the entire atmosphere. Everything feels... clean. This ties in with what I said in my first post: the Fears have been removed, so things are a lot happier now! There don't seem to really be any consequences. My non-committal Sim got married... but they are still happy about it. My Hated Children Sim had a baby, but is happy about it. (Even with a debuff around)

Fulfilling Fears in Sims 2 gave you a penalty: it took happiness points away.
Doing things that your Sim should techncially not enjoy in Sims 4? No penalty. Maybe this one little debuff, but that's all. (Though this was a problem with Sims 3; every female Sim was happy while pregnant. Even if she had the Hates Children trait. This is why I like the mod that makes pregnancy moodlets neutral in that game.)
One Minute Ninja'd
#23 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 4:54 PM
I think Cat really nailed the differences in game, both the pros and the cons. I'm a little surprised your loading screens are so long. That's one thing I've been pleasantly surprised with, as they load in under 15 seconds for me, making the jumps less annoying than I expected them to be. I'm running on a laptop that's not even a "gaming" laptop. The only thing I can think of is one, I don't have much cc, and two, I run off of an SSD. If you have the budget for a single upgrade to your PC, it's getting one. They've come down dramatically in price, installation is straightforward, and the software to clone everything over has become essentially a one click process. And it makes everything run faster. I'm into Win 10 in about 15 seconds from the power button to desktop.
Scholar
#24 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
I think Cat really nailed the differences in game, both the pros and the cons. I'm a little surprised your loading screens are so long. That's one thing I've been pleasantly surprised with, as they load in under 15 seconds for me, making the jumps less annoying than I expected them to be. I'm running on a laptop that's not even a "gaming" laptop. The only thing I can think of is one, I don't have much cc, and two, I run off of an SSD. If you have the budget for a single upgrade to your PC, it's getting one. They've come down dramatically in price, installation is straightforward, and the software to clone everything over has become essentially a one click process. And it makes everything run faster. I'm into Win 10 in about 15 seconds from the power button to desktop.

I use Win 7 and my specs on my computer are not quite the standard for recommondation, so that might be why loading screens take longer for me.
However, I have been playing with the thought of getting a laptop; if I do, I might make that a designated Sims 4 laptop.
SSD? I think I've heard of that, but cannot place what it is right now.
Page 1 of 2