Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 8:49 PM
Default Help with making buyable custom paintings (recolours)
I've just recently gotten the hang of making buyable paintings, similar to what Snaitf had done here.

However, when I tried to make a new set based off of the expensive triptych painting (the 3-panel, nonrecolourable one with the jazzy music theme), I noticed the .OBJECT file was only 1kb - and there weren't any instances of the corresponding DDS file there.

There's one in the .OBJKEY file, but I replaced it and nothing happened. Any ideas on why this painting's .obj file is so small, and where I can find and replace the old DDS hex with the new one?
Advertisement
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#2 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sadisticpyro
I've just recently gotten the hang of making buyable paintings, similar to what Snaitf had done here.

However, when I tried to make a new set based off of the expensive triptych painting (the 3-panel, nonrecolourable one with the jazzy music theme), I noticed the .OBJECT file was only 1kb - and there weren't any instances of the corresponding DDS file there.

There's one in the .OBJKEY file, but I replaced it and nothing happened. Any ideas on why this painting's .obj file is so small, and where I can find and replace the old DDS hex with the new one?

Hmmm, well, it seems that paticular painting is different. There is only 1 TGI block in that .object file, and there are no refrences to any .dds images. But if you look at the file paintingTrypticMusic (ResourceType 0x01D10F34), there are refrences to the .dds images in there, maybe try replacing those?

Oh, and if you try simply overinding the current image with your new one, you will need to delete your object caches (C:\Documents and Settings\Snaitf\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\WorldCaches and C:\Documents and Settings\Snaitf\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails, the ones with 'objects' in the filename)

I'll take a closer look at these when I have time later tonight, maybe I'll notice something that will work, until then, good luck!
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 10:18 PM
I messed around with all the files that had a reference to the .dds image, including the one you mentioned to no avail. *Sigh* I think I understand why this painting's different - unlike the others, it's completely undesignable because it's just a blank canvas. There's no frame. Still poking around for something that'll work.
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#4 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 7:45 PM
Well, I think I figured out that it is possible, just rather tedius. To get a new poster and not replace the default, you need to import the .object file with a new instance. That's the easy part, the difficult part seems to be getting your new texture on it. I see in the .object file there is a reference to the object key file - in that file is a reference to the vpxy file, in that file is the reference to the .dds images. So, make the vpxy point to your new .dds file, make the object key file point to your new vpxy file, and make the .object file point to your new object key file. Even then, there may be complications because I noticed many of the other files for the poster have the same instance #'s, and may have to be included as well matching the instance numbers you changed inside the files. Seems like a lot of work. If you are willing to go through it all, let me know how it turns out, it just seems like to much work for me, when there are other paintings that are much easier to play with...