Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 10:17 PM
Default need some quick advice about clothing meshing
hello

The day after tomorrow I will be travelling to my sisters and her partner is a game designer. he has offered to teach me to mesh over the next few weeks however he has asked I get a little information first so I was wondering if someone could briefly say if possible how one would create a new clothing mesh for the sims3 as I could not find any information or tutorials for clothing meshing in the sims3. I have access to any sofware needed so cost is of no concern. can i use 3dsmax for meshing or do i need another programe?

I may be wrong but i have found a clothing tutorial but it seems to me they dont alter the mesh. thanks
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 10:41 PM
Doable, and being done using Milkshape 3D.

.:: Sim Chic ::.
New & Improved with tasty TS3 goodness!
Mother Function
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 10:53 PM
Doable, but you need to use Blender or Milkshape because those are the only ones that have sims 3 GEOM plugins (which you need) at the moment.

Also, I'd poke around the meshing forum for more tips.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Doable, but you need to use Blender or Milkshape because those are the only ones that have sims 3 GEOM plugins (which you need) at the moment.

Also, I'd poke around the meshing forum for more tips.

What is blender? I tried milkshape but I found it really difficult to work out two to do it. Tutorials always assume you've done this before
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 1:27 AM
There are beginner meshing tutorials here...http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...arter_Tutorials. There are some specifics there for Sims 2 of course, but the actual Milkshape parts of them are not that different. Your friend can help teach you how to use the program to make the shapes etc that you want. And if you familiarise yourself with the SIMS 3 meshing info about how to extract the specific files you need etc, (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...g#Meshing_Tools) you can definitely start learning now, imo.

While the experienced modders/meshers/tool developers are still working hard to figure it all out I think specific Sims 3 beginner tutorials would be premature. And even if all you can do at this stage is extract the file you want and open it up in Milkshape, the more time you spend experimenting there and familiarising yourself with the program, the better, imo.

I'm just a n00b trying to learn this stuff too and it is a lot to take in but with that Wes Howe Sims 3 tutorial, I did manage to change something on a mesh and make it display in the game. But mostly what I learned from it is that I need to be much more experienced with Milkshape (and working in 3D) if I want to make anything worthwhile.

Lucky you, having some help there! Lol.

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:43 AM
Blender is a free 3-D meshing program.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 9:10 AM
thank you and i know i'm incredible lucky. he works for rockstar and i believe is currently wrking on the sceens for the next grand theft auto game. you should see his spare room. he has 12 high spec computers what he uses are refers to as his rendering farm. i will update you all after the help i get and thanks for the tips i'll get those plugins ready and experiement in the meantime.

i cant wait to make some new toddler and children meshes

which programe do you think is better equipt blender vs milkshape?
Mother Function
retired moderator
#8 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:35 PM
I personally like Blender more than milkshape...but then again, I'm just a basic mesher at the moment.