Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 1:22 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default 'Where Would You Like To Go' Message
This message suddenly started showing up today when my sims travels downtown. I don't know why and would like to make it go away. Help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 2:17 PM
Isn't that normal? You can't "just" go downtown, you have to travel to a lot, so the game asks where you'd like the sims to go.

If that's not the case, do you have a picture of the issue?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 2:55 PM
I assume this

I've never figured out what triggers it to come up rather than the standard dialog, though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I assume this

I've never figured out what triggers it to come up rather than the standard dialog, though.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I used to see a list of options instead of the message across the top of the screen.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 3:40 PM
I too assume that that (ihatemandatoryregister's picture) is what OP means. I've only had it once in my main game, and that was several years ago (and I never thought of taking a picture of it). Maybe it's just coincidence, but it was Downtown in my game too. I didn't have to do anything about it; it only happened once and then it reverted to the usual dialogue box. I suppose it might have been a problem if my Sims had wanted to visit a community lot in the main 'hood or another sub-hood.

I think though that this is the usual way to select your destination in base game (where there are no sub-hoods). I'm not sure, but I think this is what I always get in my AGS base game. Maybe it's s fragment of code left over from base game that occasionally gets called instead of the newer version.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 4:16 PM
I only get that screen when I've been distracted and not picked a location in the normal dialog box.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 8:40 PM
@AndrewGloria - would make sense. It only would came up for the first-night outings when I had one Downtown, before I added Emerald Heights and Bigg City to my roster. Haven't seen it since then.

Thinking back though, I remember it did come up more if a Sim used their own car rather than the taxi.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 9:09 PM Last edited by jain : 24th Mar 2018 at 9:31 PM.
I restarted the computer, reloaded the game, and sent the same sim downtown. He walked. He went alone - not for any special purpose or outing - same as the first time. This time the dialogue box appeared before he left the house so the message on the top of the Downtown map didn't show up. I have 3 subhoods as well as the Downtown, and they're not new, so I have no idea what causes it. I'm glad I'm not the only one, though, and happy it's not a sign of impending doom.

ETA: I didn't know the game would send the young man on his way downtown anyway if he failed to select a specific destination before he left the house (I get distracted...). That's kind of cool.
Theorist
#9 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 2:39 AM
When you head out to a community lot and haven't chosen a location prior to leaving the residential lot, you will get that message. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 11:28 AM
In my AGS base game I sent Rhonda Random (one of the two playable Sims in the Mini Game that Numenor included with AGS) to a community lot, and I got that neighbourhood view with the "Where do you want to go to ?" caption. I don't think I've ever got anything else in base game. But I've only seen it once in my main game. Now I don't recall the exact circumstances of that, which is not surprising since it must have been back in 2014 or thereabouts, but it is quite possible that, as Peni suggests, I was distracted and the usual dialogue was displayed for a while, but I just didn't see it. (In most applications, if a dialogue box is displayed, the program just waits indefinitely till the user responds, but I have noticed that in The Sims 2 the dialogue sometimes just disappears after a while, and the game assumes that the player is ignoring the dialogue. For example I've seen career chance card dialogues vanish while I was still considering which option to choose. So I accept that it's quite possible that the game does the same with the outing destination dialogue.)

So my slightly revised theory is that the "Where do you want to go to?" screen was the original way to select the destination in base game, and (with EPs installed) the game still uses it as a fall-back if, for any reason, the Sims have got into the taxi (or car) before the player has told the game where they're going.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 12:41 PM
Just select a location before leaving the lot. *shrug* No need to mod, there isn't one anyway.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:38 AM
In my AGS base game I added another community lot -- a grocery shop. (There was previously only one community lot in the 'hood, so not much choice as to where to go! ) Then I sent Randy Random (Rhonda's husband) first to buy food at the new grocery store, and then to buy clothes at the original lot (Hillfoot Mall). For both taxi journeys the "Where would you like to go to?" neighbourhood screen appeared after Randy had left the lot. Before leaving the home lot, instead of the familiar dialogue asking his destination, only the following little dialogue was shown:
All this makes me more certain that the "Where would you like to go to?" neighbourhood screen was the norm in base game, and that the dialogue box with which we are familiar was added in an early EP.

Jo, it looks like you don't get the chance to choose your destination before leaving the lot in base game, but, of course, very few of us are just playing base game today. But it seems that, even with EPs installed, if you don't select your destination before getting in the taxi, either because you were too slow in selecting, or because some glitch stopped the dialogue from appearing, the game has retained the old base game method of choosing as a fall-back. Which I think was rather kind of Maxis! I wonder if it's ever possible with the "Where would you like to go to?" neighbourhood screen, to use the buttons at the top of the Neighbourhood screen to choose a destination in a different sub-hood.

I might do some testing in my main game, and see what happens if I don't choose a destination promptly. Of course I'll back up first -- just in case!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:16 AM
I know the screen changed at some point but that was too long ago to remember. Some EP would have made the change. The OP though has all the EP's. Probably just a glitch that sometimes the old screen loads. Hopefully it isn't some sign of corruption.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2018 at 1:38 AM Last edited by MintFinch : 2nd Apr 2018 at 3:03 AM.
I tested this today going downtown, the selection screen of subhoods popped up when my sim called a taxi. if you just click the checkmark and not a specific lot the "where would you like to go" screen shows up. So I'm assuming it's a normal occurrence under that circumstance?

And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?"
And you may say to yourself, "My God! What have I done?"
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Apr 2018 at 4:15 AM
Yes, this is a feature not a bug. If you pick a specific destination from the list, you go straight there. If you don't, you get the map screen. It can be helpful - if you can't remember the name of that new nightclub you placed Downtown, you can still find it on the map.