Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#376 Old 17th Oct 2007 at 11:00 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 18th Oct 2007 at 12:20 AM.
okay here is my problem...all my objects meshes are too big ! the file size i mean...
so in Wings, the preogram is really slow to respond, and even sometimes it freezes...
so big that even Milkshape won't open my .obj files...
is there a way to correct this ?
I don't want to make just plan square furnitures....
here is a picture of a chair i made....and once turned into a .obj it is a 8 476KB !!!
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/...oof/mychair.jpg

Thanks,
Rosemary :0)

Rainncandy, i have that same problem....2 groups, but cloning an object that has only one..
can you tell me how you combine in UVmap please ?

and then...what have you done in SimPE about the textures ?...my 2 groups have a texture each...

Thanks,
beginner-Rosemary :0)
Advertisement
Scholar
#377 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 12:23 AM
I just load the object into UV Mapper Classic, then go to Edit, Select all, then Assign and I pick one of the names to assign it to so it will be one group. Then I save the model. That worked for me.

Usually, my groups are all mapped together on one, not separate.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#378 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 1:53 AM
Rosebin - If you made that mesh yourself, then you should avoid using so many curve surfaces. When you create e.g. a cylinder, use at most a number of subdivision of 8. Also, don't use functions like the smoothing (which increases the number of faces dramatically).

If, on the other hand, you have downloaded that mesh from another site, then keep in mind that most of the meshes out there were NOT created to be used with the Sims.

RainCandy - Wings is capable to do something that SimPE can't. For example, if you have two groups in Wings, with the same name, you can UVmap them on different textures, but SimPE will treat them as one, using the same texture for both.
If this is not the case, and you have only one group, than your problem seems related to the UVmapping. Double-check the UVmap in Wings, and then import the very same texture in SimPE.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#379 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 2:18 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:40 PM.
When I finished the tv, I didn't realize that I had to make a separate tv screen. Once the made the screen, I imported it into Simpe, and I previewed it with the tv, and that's when I saw that the pink buttons had grey on the front of them instead of being totally pink like they were supposed to be. I looked at it in UV Mapper, but all the buttons were pink then. It's only grey on the front in SimPE and in the game. I made the UV map myself. I don't understand what the problem is.

I've included the file. Numenor, can you look at it and see if you can figure out what the problem is? The pic above shows how the buttons on the tv should look.
Mad Poster
#380 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 11:05 PM
Thanks to you both Rainncandy, Numenor ! :0)

yes...I am creating my own meshes...and yes, I kinda use the subdivided option a bit too much ! lol
but it is okay now...i redo a bunch of meshes I had done, and now they are much smaller...but probably still too big for sharing !

Thank you very much for your help !

The ModFather
retired moderator
#381 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 3:42 PM Last edited by Numenor : 23rd Oct 2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Attachment removed (now useless)
Raincandy

What I see when I load your mesh in Wings is this (click the thumbnail to see a larger image):

Notice how the surface of the buttons and the round selectors is not simply grey: it's completely invisible!
Actually, the mesh for the "missing" parts exists, but they use the "hole" material, are not triangulated and have no UVmap at all.
In SimPE they look grey, but only because the rendering is not accurate: the grey you see in SimPE is actually the main TV surface.

So, I've triangulated the "missing" surfaces, created an UVmap for them and assigned them to the "default" material, with the following result:

A little smoothing in UVmapper Pro, and voila, the final result can be seen in the attached package.

In the zip you will find the package and the fixed OBJ file (already imported in the package, anyway).

PS - IMPORTANT - I have RENAMED your package: avoid using spaces in the filenames. Be sure to manually REMOVE your older package from the Downloads before installing the new one, or they will conflict.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Scholar
#382 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 7:47 PM
Thank you soooo much, Numenor! I was about to give up on it, so I had to ask you for help, so thank you!! I greatly appreciate it!
Mad Poster
#383 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 9:20 PM
I don't know if in wings, there is a "reverse vertex order", but I have to use this sometimes, with my meshes...in Milkshape.
When i first saw the tv, I thought of it....because parts were invisible, exactly like when a part of a mesh has it's inside...out !

Test Subject
#384 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 4:44 AM
Newbie....
I don't have the slightest clue to what I am doing. I would like to make new sims clothes because i want to make music videos...And I have been on this site for 4 hours trying to figure out what to do. I don't know where to post this or nothing. Any help is appreciated. I downloaded some stuff but I don't know what to do with it..Please help. I don't know how to use this site....
Mad Poster
#385 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 5:26 AM
Poor little you....
what kind of new sim cloths you wanna make ?...is it just recoloring already existing Maxis clothings ?...or is it that you want to make complete new shapes ? aka: turning pants into a long skirt....adding a jacket...etc ?

recoloring is simpler, since you just have to ..recolor LOL...AND Body Shop is all waiting for you there....beside Body Shop, only a good paint program is needed.

Making complete new clothes is another story...fun, but practicing is needed, along with a good meshing program, Milkshape 3D, AND SimPE program as well.

But...why don't you pay yourself a visit, in the tutorial section ?
you'll find tons of very good tutorials, from beginners to advanced...from the basic clothing recolor-how to use Body Shop- to more complex meshing....

Have fun !

Test Subject
#386 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 7:52 PM
When i click on tools, object creation, object workshop: it comes up with choosing the sort of the selectd object - it doesn't say anything about clone settings and colour options. What shall I do?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#387 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 1:00 AM
When the Object Workshop opens up, click the button "Start" and wait for the list to load. Then select one object and click "Next", and you will be given the choice between Clone and Recolour (if you choose Clone, you will see the cloning options).

Test Subject
#388 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 11:49 AM
In part two, when i open the package i made in step 11, it comes up with the resource list and doesn't have any tabs Geometric data on.
Scholar
#389 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 6:39 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 14th Nov 2007 at 2:51 AM.
I am making an object, and I cloned a coffeetable. The object I made will work like a coffee table, meaning that it will have objects placeable on it. The problem I'm having is that my object is taller than the coffee table that I cloned, and in the game, when I place on object on it, the object is "sitting" on the height of the original coffee table that I cloned instead of the taller object that I made. Why isn't it "sitting" at the height of the object that I made?

EDIT: Are there any tutorials on how to adjust the slot height of an object?
Test Subject
#390 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 8:42 PM
I enjoyed this guide, but I am having a problem with the object workshop. When I select an object, I get a bar at the bottom with the price and name. I need to know where to click in order open up the panel with the option to clone.

I'm not sure if I've just been realy stupid, but please help.
Test Subject
#391 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 6:51 PM
OK forget that, Instead now I have a new problem, at part 21, I click on the file, but instead of bringing up a list like the pic, I just get an empty list.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#392 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 8:07 AM
Raincandy - The height and position of the slots can be adjusted in the CRES, in the very same way explained in THIS POST; the only difference is that in that post I talk about lights, and I suggest to select and modify the CRES blocks related to lights; in your case, you have to choose the block that is related to the container slot (the block names, in the Hierarchy, are usually explanatory; ignore all the routing slots: you have to find the only "container" slot of the coffee table).

AcesOyster - I don't know exactly how is it possible that the GMDC in your clone contains an empty list of Models. Are you sure you are selecting the Geometry Data Container (GMDC)? A screenshot would help (hit the "PrtScrn" key on the keyboard, then open a paint program, choose Edit/Paste and lastly save as JPG; attach the JPG here to your post, or use ImageShack).

Forum Resident
#393 Old 14th Dec 2007 at 9:16 PM
Hello.

I've deleted parts of a cylinder, but now this line remains:

I think I did something wrong...
Can somebody help me?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#394 Old 14th Dec 2007 at 11:07 PM
Don't worry about that line: it will be invisible in game.

Forum Resident
#395 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 5:45 PM
Okay, thanks Numenor!
Lab Assistant
#396 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 1:49 PM
I can't get anything from part 4.... Could you help me??

cytö Sims Division
Questions or Comments?
Websitecytö
"Life is Short, Live Life Better"
The ModFather
retired moderator
#397 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 2:07 PM
Ehm... Part 4? There are only three parts, unless I have overlooked something...

Test Subject
#398 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 6:20 AM
hey man, ye part 3 tutorial link seems to bring me to random site. sth wrong?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#399 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 9:44 AM
Probably this is because Mod_BV at first moved to a site of his own, but then he closed down his site. His tutorial is very old (he finished writing it in Dec 2005...). However, thanks for the heads up: I've now marked the link as "dead"

Test Subject
#400 Old 17th Feb 2008 at 2:47 PM
In step 20 (?) you have to open the GMDC file, but I don't have it. I've done everything right but it's not working.
Page 16 of 18