Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 6:19 PM
Default Poser/Magnets?
Hi, im new to the poser and magnet thing, I have poser 7 and its really driving me crazy. At first i was having problems getting the magnets to show up in poser and when i finally got that situated and resolved, here comes another problem. The problem now is that once i click on the magnet to get it to show up in the main view window, it doesnt show the rio body, it only show the magnets. Heres some pics of what i mean. If anyone could help, please do so.

Heres the pic of the magnet showing in the props category..

Heres the pic of the magnet once i double click to put it in the main window to start using it..

Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 9:39 PM
The magnets are there to change the default meshes into the RIO shape.

This is wat you should do:

* import a mesh in Milkshape without the morph(s)
* export the file as OBJX(part of Unimesh plugin)
* export the file as OBJ, name it after the meshgroupname(Top, bottom or body)
* import that OBJ file into Poser
* apply the RIO magnets
* export as OBJ file, name it the same as the original or overwrite that one.
* import the new OBJ in Milkshape
* import the OBJX file

The OBJX file contains the meshcomments, skeleton and jointassignements.
Check the comments if all went well.

On import dont tick any boxes, on export only name groups(or something like that)
The morph you can do seperate, those dont need the objx file(just make sure you give the base mesh and morph the correct meshcomments when both are back in Milkshape)

after that the last thing is fix the normals on the seams and copy the normals from another mesh for the neck and maybe the waist(if its a top or bottom)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 12:42 AM Last edited by princessheard1 : 1st Aug 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Before i posted this thread, I read the tutorial on how to use magnets and stuff many of times and i also followed all the steps many of times, i even researched the problem. Everything goes well until i apply the magnets.. once i apply the magnets im suspose to see a magnet that looks like the rio body, correct? but i dont see that, when i apply the magnet nothing changes, it still looks like the obj mesh.. I can see magnets but i dont see the rio body

Here's where i imported the mesh using wavefront obj..

Here's where i applied the magnet preset, and nothing changes..

Sockpuppet
#4 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 9:34 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 1st Aug 2012 at 10:06 AM.
ill try to download them and give it a go.
Looking at your pic the magnets are off aswell, either they are scaled or the body isn't 1:1
Another thing is, if you apply the magnets by double clicking them the body(boobs and hips) changes but the magnet itself isn't visible(like in your screenshot)

edit,
I downloaded the RIO magnets and imported a obj file, all works as it should:

--You best use the OBJ and OBJX files
--Make sure all your magnets are in \Runtime\Libraries\Props\Warlokk
--The last screenshots shows the right breast magnets, check if yours is on the same spot.
Other then that i wouldn't know
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 1:27 PM Last edited by princessheard1 : 1st Aug 2012 at 1:45 PM.
Thanks Bloom, I got the magnets to work but now i dont know how to get the full body in the screen. Fix the camera to show everything correctly.

This is how it looks in the camera.

Sockpuppet
#6 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 4:00 PM
You can zoom/rotate and move with the 3 buttons on the right
The little hand is up and down, left and right.
next to it is the one to zoom out(right and left mouse button i believe)
The round one is to rotate.
Never click in the the 3d screen or use the transform buttons, it will mess up things(like the scaling and such)

Just import
aplly magnets
export
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 4:51 PM
Thanks. Also, how do i get it to show up in bodyshop? i cant find it, and when in bodyshop, i click on the outfit mesh i used, nothing changes, its still the old mesh.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 8:36 PM
There are tutorials on how to clone a outfit and link a new meshfile to it.
That meshfile contains the gmdc wich is the shape of the outfit.
That one you export from SimPE and
import in Milkshape
export objx
export obj
apply magnets in Poser on the obj
import back in Milkshape, fix normals and joints(import objx)
Then import that file back in the gmdc in Simpe.

Roughly said ofcourse, you best follow one of the tutorials
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 3:04 AM
Do anyone know why this looks like that? only half of the outfit recolors.. the skirt wont recolor...

Its suppose to look like this..

Sockpuppet
#10 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 11:11 AM
Does the original have multiple meshgroups(alpha meshes)?
If so, did you use the same setup?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 3:14 PM
Yea I think it has alphas.. I had to regroup them in order to turn them into obj ile so I could apply it to the magnet.. what do u mean by same set up? Also the mesh of the skirt is black in milkshape, but the rest is white.. it was like that before I made any changes to it, I guess the creator made it black.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 6:44 PM
The creator didn't make it "black"... It's an alpha group. Alpha groups need to stay separate. If you're regrouped it with the rest of your mesh, it's not going to display properly. It won't have any alpha transparency (which is why it looks like a big white block on your Sim).

Alpha meshing is not a beginner's project.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 11:02 PM
Whoa.. sorry... thanks for replying.

Thread can be closed.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 11:52 PM
Alphas are harder to work with...
If the original had a 2(or more) meshgroup setup you have to regroup the skirt part and name it like the original.
It will then use the correct texture file and all should be fine except maybe the inner layer of the skirt(wich shows black in MS)
You might have to regroup that layer aswell(depends wich alpha settings are used in the materials, alphablend or alphatest)
Its very tricky to select the inner faces when the whole mesh is grouped into one.
Have a look at the orginal, if you have problems dividing the meshparts upload the file then so i can do it for you.

edit,
I suspect the file uses alphatest settings as the inner layer showed as a black outerlayer, that usually happens when 2 layers(inner and outer) are grouped together
If so you only have to regroup the skirt and name it correct.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 3:20 PM
Thanks bloom.. I'll work on it and let u know what happens.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 3:26 AM
Bloom, what would i name it?
Sockpuppet
#17 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 4:56 PM
Bodyshop:
Clone the basegame nighty with the lace on it.(afbodyslip)

Simpe:
Build a meshfile with PJSE and attache it to that clone:
(NEW/PJSE/extracting stage/browse/select the recolor clone/fix intigrity/save)
(open recolor file/PJSE/linking stage/browse/select meshfile/save)
When done open the meshfile again and extract the gmdc.

Milkshape:
Load that gmdc into MS with the Unimeshplugin
You will see how EA build that outfit with 4 meshgroups.
body(legs)
body(top)
body_alpha3(inner layer skirt)
body_alpha5(outer layer skirt)

Examine that outfit and group(and name) your custom meshgroups the same(also use its meshcomments due opacity!)
Export it and load it in your meshfile you just created.

Fix the textures(or load them into the package the first time while cloning it with bodyshop)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 4:24 PM
When you say name the custom meshgroups the same.. do i just name it whatever i want or is there a certain name i need to use? Do i group all 4 meshgroups together or just the alphas?
Sockpuppet
#19 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 9:29 PM
You need to use the names that come with/are in the gmdc meshfile
For the afbodyslip those are:
body
body
body_alpha3
body_alpha5

In your case(with the earlier mesh that came out of Poser) you have to ungroup the parts:
Select the legs, ungroup them from the rest and name it Body
Do the same with the toppart, name it body
Select the inner layer of the skirt, ungroup it and name it body_alpha3
Left is the outer layer of the skirt wich you name body_alpha5

srry, i mentioned earlier to group them but you need to ungroup the parts
Ment regroup the parts in 4 seperate meshgroups
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 1:00 AM
Hey bloom.. okay this is not going right for me.. i dont get it.. could you please please please add pictures to your description of how to do this? if you dont wanna do that i understand because i know its asking for alot.. seeing pics is just easier for me.. I appreciate you offering to do the projects for me in the earlier comment but i just kind wanna learn how to do it on my own so i wont have to constantly ask for help on it.
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 9:00 AM
i h8 tuts...and im sure its already written down properly somewhere.
Can i see the file or mesh?

You can create a standalone outfit that works ingame can you?
With custom mesh attached either created with PJSE or manual linked.

If you view the afbodyslip mesh in Milkshape you can see its meshnames listed in the mesh/groupstab
You have the possibility to rename the meshgroup in that tab.

If you use the afbodyslip as base then your meshgroups should have the same names
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 7:37 PM
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 10:11 PM
I hate to dissapoint you but after fixing the groups i discovered it didn't bring in a skeleton in the first place
This means the whole mesh doesn't have boneassignements, so it wont animate ingame.

When exporting the file as obj you first have to store the bone/joint data as OBJX
If it comes back from Poser you need to reimport the objx right away so the mesh has its skeleton, boneassignements and meshcomments back.

Another way is to use is the meshhelper within Simpe, you then export as obj from Simpe(instead of Milkshape) so all the data keeps stored in Simpe.
After it comes out of Poser you reimport it into SimPE as OBJ again.
Then export the gmdc wich you can edit in Milkshape

I did ungroup and fix the meshparts but its useless to continue with it without the joint assignements, you have to start over....

Uploaded the mesh so you can see how the groups are setup.
My advise is to start with something a bit more simple till you get the process of SimPE and Poser
Attached files:
File Type: zip  princess.zip (85.4 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 4:02 PM
i kept getting that error when importing the objx.. even when i started over.. i guess i wont be able to do that mesh.. lol
Sockpuppet
#25 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 8:40 PM
can i have the mesh that you made in Milkshape before Poser?
Wat magnets did you use in Poser?

You must export as body.obj and body.objx
and export as body.obj out of Poser(or overwrite the first body.obj)
untick all boxes on import(poser)
and tick ''groupnames'' on export if im correct.

Also make sure you dont export the ''ground'' when selecting the meshparts you want to export(untick it)
Page 1 of 2